Newcomer

Irunem

Newcomer
« on: 31 Oct 2009, 08:23 pm »
Gentlemen,
As a newcomer to this forum let me start out by saying by no means am I an audiophile but I do enjoy music, unfortunately I have never been able to afford a high end system, still can't which is why I am here.
I have always wanted to build my own speakers but never seemed to have had the time, however I would like to upgrade my components and through the various DIY websites I've been encouraged to test the waters.
I currently have a pair of Infinity RS5's (I Know) which I would like to replace or upgrade. I have been looking at the A/V-3's and the N-3's as replacements.
The room they would be placed in, is 13 1/2 x 20 with catherdal ceilings.   
My other thought was to upgrade the RS5's or should I simply donate them to the hearing impaired?
Any and all advice would be most welcome.
Thanks

emac

Re: Newcomer
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2009, 09:28 pm »
Welcome to Audiocircle.  As you've probably read, you can go very far if you're willing to take the DIY route (electronics or speakers).  Also, it's very fulfilling to know that you've created what you're enjoying. 

Anyway, Danny's designs are all very solid and some of the best values you can find in audio.  In terms of the A/V-3's vs. the N-3's, I haven't heard the A-V series, but the Neo based series (monitors, N-3's, etc) are very, very nice and have been receiving good reviews across the board.  So, IMO, I'd go with the N-3's.  Another direction to think of is the O-3's, which I own.  I use them in a room about the same size as yours, and they are terrific.  Very relaxed presentation and fills up the room with ease.  I think they like the taller ceilings, and should sound great as long as you're able to get them at least 3 feet from the walls.  But, you really couldn't go wrong with any of the choices.

As for the Infinities, my 2 thoughts would be either set them up in another room to have a 2nd system or donate them to a friend who is interested in getting some speakers.  I have a pair of speakers I'm not using on "loan" to a friend who's enjoying them, so everyone's happy.

dvenardos

Re: Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2009, 04:56 pm »
You might want to get on the demo list for the Neo 2x. I have them here right now (getting ready to get them back on the road) and am extremely impressed with them. They will give you a good idea of how the Neo tweeter sounds.