Need advice....

ThorsHammer

Need advice....
« on: 31 Oct 2009, 11:19 am »
I am renovating my place and in spite of best efforts to seal off the kitchen while we worked still managed to cover the entire living area with a fine coat of drywall dust. I know, I know.. all those who have had similar work done are shaking their heads at such a rookie mistake, lol.

Problem is that I hadn't covered my av setup yet...layer of drywall dust on all my equipment and since I don't keep the grills on my STrts  and Center channel the cones and tweeter had some dust also. I don't want to apply any kind of vacuum to these surfaces and this dust is so fine if you try to wipe it off with a cloth on a soft surface it has a tendency to just smear...and I don't want to use compressed air near the rts.

Does anyone know how to deal with this problem? And, can someone tell me it won't have any residual effect once their cleaned so I won't be imagining drywall resonance every time I listen to them.....arrrgh.

jsalk

Re: Need advice....
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2009, 12:22 pm »
ThorsHammer -

If you want to use compressed air to clean the cones on the midwoofers, use some making tape to tape off the ribbon tweeters before you do.  With a couple of layers of tape to protect the ribbon element, you should be OK.  But certainly don't use it on the tweeters!  I wouldn't try to blow them off at all and would just leave them alone.

If you feel the ribbons are not performing well due to the dust, you could always have new ribbon elements installed.  The ribbon element is the only moving part and can be replaced.  If you feel the need to do this, let me know.

- Jim

Rocket

« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2009, 07:09 am »
Hi Jim,

Btw where can I purchase new ribbons for my lcy ribbon tweeter that are used in my ht2?

I thought I'd keep a couple just in case I damage one in the future.

Thanks

Rod

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 1 Nov 2009, 01:06 pm »
Hi Jim,

Btw where can I purchase new ribbons for my lcy ribbon tweeter that are used in my ht2?

I thought I'd keep a couple just in case I damage one in the future.

Thanks

Rod

You can order them from madisound or e-speakers.  Before you do, however, you may want to check to see if there are any LCY distributors in Australia.

- Jim