Seeking comments on BP26 remote volume control

drubin

Seeking comments on BP26 remote volume control
« on: 30 Oct 2009, 05:09 pm »
I'd like to hear from people who have lived with the BP26.  How easy is it to adjust volume remotely with precision? 

I have come to favor preamps with digital volume readouts (hint to Bryston product management) because I want to be able to make consistent and repeatable adjustments, and to know from across the room where I have the volume set.  Some preamps without displays can be very hard to control with any sort of precison, where it's hit-or-miss as to whether your press on the remote makes an adjustment of 2 dB or 6 dB. 

Dan

TomS

Re: Seeking comments on BP26 remote volume control
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2009, 05:29 pm »
My BP26 is very responsive.  I don't obsess over repeatability but I seem to be able to just look at where the black line (mine is silver) or screw insert is and get it very close to my "normal" listening level each time.  I love it just the way it is.

Tom

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2009, 05:52 pm »
Hello Dan,

I have a BP26 with a BR2 remote. You cannot achieve precise repeatability of level control with this type of configuration. The BR2 offers very good volume control with the BP26. It is difficult to see the reference mark on the volume control knob from across the room.

I remember that it required a little time for me to get a feel of the volume level and control from this equipment. The clarity of the audio output from the Bryston power - preamplifier combination sometimes let you get into a lot of power before you realized it.

As for me, I absolutely enjoy the minimalistic aesthetics of Bryston equipment. I am more than happy with the 4 little LEDs and in my circumstance, very happy that the BP26 did not have a volume level display.

Hope this helps.

Be well...

drubin

« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2009, 09:11 pm »
Thanks guys!

95Dyna

« Reply #4 on: 1 Nov 2009, 11:18 pm »
Like Andy I appreciate the minimalist front panel of the BP26.  To remedy being able to discern the volume level from accross the room I simply stuck a bright orange dot on the knob under the hash mark.  As long as there is a small amount of light in the room you can see it.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #5 on: 1 Nov 2009, 11:38 pm »
Like Andy I appreciate the minimalist front panel of the BP26.  To remedy being able to discern the volume level from accross the room I simply stuck a bright orange dot on the knob under the hash mark.  As long as there is a small amount of light in the room you can see it.

10, 000 apologies for jumping off track here...

Dare I see an Esoteric X-05 in your equipment listings Bill?

Congratulations :bounce:

werd

« Reply #6 on: 2 Nov 2009, 12:28 am »
Hi folks

My RM-20 dual phase improved my volume adjustments on my bp25 big time. Before the rm20 it was much harder to find a volume setting that wasnt slightly flat sounding. It seemed like there were only a couple of settings on the volume that i liked.. With the rm20 in play the pre responds very nicely to even small power increments with no lack of musicality at every step.

that and a buck and half will get you on the bus

95Dyna

« Reply #7 on: 3 Nov 2009, 04:54 pm »

10, 000 apologies for jumping off track here...

Dare I see an Esoteric X-05 in your equipment listings Bill?

Congratulations :bounce:

Yes, your eyes do not deceive you.  It's still in the box while I follow my implementation plan to install the Silver Eclipse 6 SC's first and evaluate their impact.  Next will be the X-05 using my existing single ended Monster IC's followed by replacing the Monsters with the Silver Eclipse 6 balanced IC's.