Fet Valve Ultra 550 Amplifier v. Jeff Rowland (with Salks)

ctviggen

I have Salk HT3s.  I bought a compact tube hybrid amplifier for my headphones:

http://www.cavalliaudio.com/cth/main.php?page=overview

I absolutely love the sound of this amplifier.  So, I'm thinking that a tube-based amp like the FET valve Ultra 550 Amp might work well with my Salks.

I would sell my Jeff Rowland #10 amp to be able to buy the Ultra 550.  Would the Ultra 550 driver the Salk Ht3s full range?  I'm also thinking of using an active crossover and only having the Ultra 550 drive from about 80Hz up.  Is that also possible and would it help (as compared to driving 80Hz and below)?  Anyone actually compare a Rowland amp and the Ultra 550?

In terms of tube "sound", is the Ultra 550 a mixture of tube and solid state or does it edge toward the tube side?  (And I'm not sure what I'm talking about here, since I've never used tubes.)

By the way, is this amp a stereo, two channel amp?  The website doesn't highlight this fact.  Does it have remote turn on?  (Important for me, since this system is also a HT system, and I want to make it easy for my wife to use, but I could perhaps ignore this.)

Wayner

Re: Fet Valve Ultra 550 Amplifier v. Jeff Rowland (with Salks)
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2009, 11:51 am »
The 550 all by it's self is all you will need to drive the HT-3s. Frank himself has this very set -up and it is full range (dynamically speaking), indeed.

Wayner  :D

martyo

« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2009, 12:12 pm »
Hey. I haven't heard the Rowland, but I can talk about the Ultra with the HT3's. I had an Ultra, now it's a "Double". I would recommend that upgrade, $250. From my experience with our HT3's, it was like a different amp. That's a pretty hefty load with the low sensitivity and that woofer, and I tend to push things a bit.  :lol:
And the more you push it, the more the "Double" comes into play.
I hear a fuller, richer, (which equals "more real") presentation with the Ultra, and a more defined 3-D soundstage. If you've been to a show, the Ultra Double 550 is what is usually driving the big Salks.

It's a stereo two channel amp, and doesn't have a remote turn on stock

martyo

« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2009, 12:14 pm »
Wayner is closer to Frank than I am, but last time I heard, Frank uses a "Double" 550, as does Jim. It's a better amp. :P

And you can easily hear the difference on the HT3's

martyo

« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2009, 12:24 pm »
Wayner,

Procol Harum, Paler Shade of Gray
That is the name of that song from now on for me. :thumb: :lol:
That is one of those great ones that lives forever. Such as when our daughter said "Mom, I'm processed", when she meant depressed. To this day in our house "processed" means depressed. :P

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2009, 01:18 pm »
As much as I'm an AVA devotee, it seems to me like the Rowland is probably not the weak link in your system. What are the other components?

I think you might benefit more by getting an AVA somewhere along the way from your TT or CD transport to the Salks.

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2009, 01:22 pm »
God, it's following me around! Yes, the 550 double is even more fun and can really muscle the Ht-3s. And martyO is correct, Frank does run that on his HT-3s at home as well. I guess I should always recommend that amp as most people who what HT-3s are looking for some big sound.

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 28 Oct 2009, 04:29 pm »
As much as I'm an AVA devotee, it seems to me like the Rowland is probably not the weak link in your system. What are the other components?

I think you might benefit more by getting an AVA somewhere along the way from your TT or CD transport to the Salks.

Well, unfortunately, my system is in my garage and has been for several months now, as I rebuild my family room.  I was using a Bolder-modified Squeeze Box (fanciest mods he had at the time) running into my amps directly, with cryoed Bolder Cable speaker cables and non-cryoed Boulder Cable interconnects.  Oh, I also have a Bolder Cable device between the woofers and the other input on my HT3s. 

I believe these are the interconnects:

http://www.boldercables.com/servlet/-strse-310/interconnect-summit/Detail

I believe these are my speaker wires, but mine are cryoed:

http://www.boldercables.com/servlet/-strse-249/NITRO-SPEAKER-CABLE--dsh-/Detail

It doesn't appear he makes the jumpers any more.  These are them, only mine have bybees inside:

http://www.boldercables.com/servlet/-strse-212/NITRO-BI-dsh-WIRE-JUMPERS/Detail

The only place I could put an AVA product is between my modified SB and my amps, or the amps. 

Having said that, my next iteration is going to be a bit different.  My speaker wire will be low capacitance speaker wire, but will be run in the wall.  I do need some type of device between my modified SB and my amps, as the output from my modified SB isn't enough.  I purchased one of these, but haven't tried it yet.

I also have a CI Audio PLC-1 MKII Remote Passive, which I'll use to switch between my HT system and my two-channel system. 

I'm just so enthralled with the sound coming out of this hybrid tube amp into my headphones, that if I could replicate that in the Salks, that would be wonderful.  I thought that since the AVA FET valve amps are hybrids, I could get similar sound. 

My room won't be ready for a few months, so once it's ready, perhaps I can arrange a comparison. 

ctviggen

« Reply #8 on: 28 Oct 2009, 04:45 pm »
I also should state that my impetus for inquiring into the AVA ultra valves is not only because this hybrid tube headphone amp sounds fantastic, but also because my Salks replaced VMPS RM40s.  In general, I liked the RM40s better, and thought they had a more mellow sound, a larger and better sound stage, and a wall of sound I found intriguing.  However, my wife liked the looks of the Salks better. 

So, now I'm trying to find an amp (or perhaps preamp) that will give me the smoother, more mellow sound found on the VMPS RM40s while allowing me to keep the Salks.  Also, the Salks were very boomy in my room, and I couldn't ever determine why.  If an amp makes them less boomy, that would help, too.  The room situation will be completely reversed, in terms of where the speakers sit, so this problem may or may not be taken care of.  And, yes, before I have people ask me if I had room treatments, I had two mondo traps (corners), two traps real traps no longer makes (corners), two normal traps (first reflection points), two thin traps (between the speakers), two ASC sub traps, and one normal real trap on the ceiling. 

I am likely also going to use subs with these, which I didn't do before (and which is an effort to prevent/reduce the boominess of the Salks). 

gjs_cds

« Reply #9 on: 28 Oct 2009, 09:27 pm »
So, now I'm trying to find an amp (or perhaps preamp) that will give me the smoother, more mellow sound found on the VMPS RM40s while allowing me to keep the Salks. 

Have you considered the UltraValve?  It's Frank's all-tube design...

I'm wondering about the "synergy" of an Ultra (hybrid) pre-amp and UltraValve (all tube) amp for your needs?

Wayner

« Reply #10 on: 28 Oct 2009, 09:35 pm »
The Ultravalve will drive a pair of HT-3s nicely. Better yet would be a pair of Ultravalves bridged to mono (60 watts RMS), for some serious tube power. We ran the HT-4s (Soundscape-12?) at the RMAF with a pair and it was very impressive. The midrange and high end was THE best at show, and the bass was also impressive but some thought the 550 had a slight edge on power for the low freq driver (only 240 watts more, per channel).

charmerci

« Reply #11 on: 28 Oct 2009, 11:01 pm »
I'd recommend that you either get the T-8 tube pre-amp or the Ultra pre-amp. I don't think throwing the digital signal directly into your amp is a good thing.

I should know. A number of years ago, Frank used to say that AVA equipment never had a field failure - until I fed my CD player signal directly into a AVA amp - albeit at high levels (it had a level control) over a period of time. It went kaput and he could no longer claim no field failures.

Zheeeem

« Reply #12 on: 29 Oct 2009, 12:15 am »
I also should state that my impetus for inquiring into the AVA ultra valves is not only because this hybrid tube headphone amp sounds fantastic, but also because my Salks replaced VMPS RM40s.  In general, I liked the RM40s better, and thought they had a more mellow sound, a larger and better sound stage, and a wall of sound I found intriguing.  However, my wife liked the looks of the Salks better. 

So, now I'm trying to find an amp (or perhaps preamp) that will give me the smoother, more mellow sound found on the VMPS RM40s while allowing me to keep the Salks.  Also, the Salks were very boomy in my room, and I couldn't ever determine why.  If an amp makes them less boomy, that would help, too.  The room situation will be completely reversed, in terms of where the speakers sit, so this problem may or may not be taken care of.  And, yes, before I have people ask me if I had room treatments, I had two mondo traps (corners), two traps real traps no longer makes (corners), two normal traps (first reflection points), two thin traps (between the speakers), two ASC sub traps, and one normal real trap on the ceiling. 

I am likely also going to use subs with these, which I didn't do before (and which is an effort to prevent/reduce the boominess of the Salks).

I'd be interested in following your adventures, so please keep posting.

I run AVA gear - my amp is a FV 350 exr6, which is a hybrid like the ultra.  And I have a pair of VMPS RM30Ms.  The HT3s were on my short list, and every so often I confess to a certain degree of lust - mainly because of the woodworking.  But the RM30s sound so very good in my room......

I think any of the Ultras would be good for you, bumping up to the double 550 if you need the power.  The UltraValve is unlikely to have enough oompf to run full range, but it might be OK in a biamp configuration.

TomSV650

« Reply #13 on: 29 Oct 2009, 01:43 am »
The ultra does not sound like a tube amp, more like a smooth solid state amp. Base heavy too.

rcag_ils

« Reply #14 on: 30 Oct 2009, 12:21 am »
Judging sound quality of audio equipment on message board without listening to it is very difficult. Side by side amp comparison doesn't tell the whole story neither,  because of the various elements involved, such as room acoustic and speakers used.

I did a side by side amp compaison at Frank's place, Franks room is smaller than mine and has lower ceiling. The room also has acoustical ceiling tiles, and carpet like wall paper, I think his amps have been designed in that environment. His amp indeed sounded better than mine at his place. After I put my amp back in my system, with my speakers, I listened to it for hours, and I found it very satisfying, didn't sound bad at all.

Ultra 550 is a good amp, and it does sound better than some of the amps that I have, but comparing to some other amps, it's really a toss up of what are you looking for in the music that you like.