What folksy female singers do you like?

Mike Nomad

Re: What folksy female singers do you like?
« Reply #40 on: 28 Oct 2009, 11:06 pm »

Karen Dalton

dwk

« Reply #41 on: 28 Oct 2009, 11:12 pm »
If anyone is interested in a little 'one stop shopping' for many of the artists mentioned in this thread, I heartily recommend "Going Driftless : An Artists Tribute to Greg Brown". It's a set of covers of Greg Brown songs done by folks like Lucinda Williams, Ani DiFranco, Ferron, Eliza Gilkyson, Gillian Welch etc.  Great songwriting, and the performances range from the merely quite good to the excellent.

http://www.redhouserecords.com/145.html

drab

« Reply #42 on: 29 Oct 2009, 03:20 am »
A couple of my fave folksies:

Sera Cahoone:

A new favorite of mine. She doesn't have a classic "Angels Voice" but she is very folksie. She used to play some banjo with Band Of Horses, an old favorite of mine.

Po Girl:

Canadian folksie from Vancouver. A band with three female singers, all of whom are terrific IMHO.

Mike

drphoto

« Reply #43 on: 29 Oct 2009, 04:45 am »
audioferret.. :thumb: on Aimee Mann's "Magnolia" The sort of thing that can bring tears to your eyes. The music made the film....which I liked a lot. Truly unique.

Always liked Shawn Colvin, and early Melissa Etheridge. Tracy Chapman did some really good work in her somewhat limited career. Still think "Fast Car" is a great song, and the video was done by one of my photographer heros, Matt Mahurin. (his first vid, he liked the song so much he shot for her for free, supposedly)

Someone else I like who has a limited repetoire is Joan Armatrading. Her only 'hit' was called "I love it when you call me names". Should have been huge, as it was a great song.

Tim S

« Reply #44 on: 29 Oct 2009, 02:50 pm »

I saw some people eventually got Shawn Colvin and Patty Griffin. They are both great. If you want someone even more folksy I strongly recommend Robinella. Substantially more obscure but worth seeking her out.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #45 on: 29 Oct 2009, 03:03 pm »
Lately, I got the Celtic kick, and have been listening to Connie Dover's haunting tune a lot

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102168188

She's American (Irish American, plus some other blood types?!); that high-pitched Celtic woman sound is unmistakable.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #46 on: 29 Oct 2009, 03:19 pm »
Lately, I got the Celtic kick, and have been listening to Connie Dover's haunting tune a lot

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102168188

She's American (Irish American!); that high-pitched Celtic woman sound is unmistakable.

Oh, yeah, very haunting sound.     :thumb:

Kathy Mattea (sp?) also has some wonderful folksy tunes.  Seen her live twice, and it's like sitting down with an old friend to chat.  Her band is smokin'!

DISCLAIMER:  I love folk music, and even some old-time stuff, but HATE C-W!!!!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #47 on: 29 Oct 2009, 04:55 pm »
Bonnie Koloc
in Celtic vein - Maire Brennan - Clannad

+1 Sandy Denny, Joni Mitchell, Janis Ian, Laura Nyro, Maddy Prior

rpf

« Reply #48 on: 29 Oct 2009, 06:30 pm »
Some more:

Annie Briggs

Eliza Carthy

Ann Savoy

jimdgoulding

« Reply #49 on: 30 Oct 2009, 08:21 am »
Kate and Anna McGarrigle (original recording re-issued).  Anna penned Linda Ronstadt's hit Heart Like a Wheel.  Ya oughta hear the McGarrigles sing this.  Talk to Me of Mendocino is also on this.
« Last Edit: 4 Nov 2009, 01:50 am by jimdgoulding »