Anti virus software - any free packages worth using?

WGH

Re: Anti virus software - any free packages worth using?
« Reply #40 on: 9 Nov 2009, 02:41 pm »
I got to the System Restore several times with the XP disc in the drive but when I hit R, or Enter, or even F3, nothing!  It just sits there.

If the computer doesn't respond how do you load or have it respond to another software?

Did you get to System Restore through the Recovery Console? The Recovery Console is similar to a DOS, all you get is a blank screen where you type the correct instructions.

Does your computer need 3rd party drivers for SATA drives. I need to load drivers using a floppy drive or the XP boot disk will not see my SATA drives.

Another option is pull the hard drive out of the XP machine and connect it to another computer to run a virus scan and Scandisk.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #41 on: 9 Nov 2009, 02:57 pm »
Well when I go thru F12 with the XP disc in the drive, I get the hit any key page (a DOS-looking black screen), then it goes thru the blue screen thing and gets to the page where you select Enter, R, or F3 to quit.  At that point, no matter what I press it does nothing.

Yes, I read where the drive can be removed and separately powered up with some kind of patch cable.

At this point I'd like to just copy my photos and a few files and throw the thing in the trash.  I have 3 other computers with Vista on them in the house, so bagging this one is not breaking my heart if I can recover files.

I did find an internal diagnostic test page that checked the drives and memory for functanlity and they all passed.

WGH

« Reply #42 on: 9 Nov 2009, 03:24 pm »
At this point I'd like to just copy my photos and a few files and throw the thing in the trash. 

I like that solution  :thumb:

Yes, you can plug the drive into any computer by either a cable or an external USB enclosure. If the hard drive has an IDE connection use a flat IDE cable and a spare power connection from the power supply. Make sure the jumper on the hd is set to Cable Select if it is not already there, some old hd jumpers are set to Master which will not work when used as a slave drive.

mshan

« Reply #43 on: 9 Nov 2009, 03:47 pm »
I use AVG Free Edition for my XP machines.

Microsoft Security Essentials seems to integrate nicely into Windows 7 and isn't supposed to use up a lot of resources:

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

:)

shep

« Reply #44 on: 9 Nov 2009, 03:59 pm »
I second Microsoft Security essentials. It works a treat, uses little resources and best of all found two trojans AVG didn't.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #45 on: 9 Nov 2009, 05:03 pm »
This may be what the doctor ordered.  I also have an old defunct ME machine's hard drive to copy files from.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B001Q4Z5KY/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2IHZFOHOQ0WG8&v=glance

WGH

« Reply #46 on: 9 Nov 2009, 05:34 pm »
Nice find Big Red, that should do it.

Thump553

« Reply #47 on: 12 Nov 2009, 07:20 pm »
Does your internet provider supply anything?  I have Comcast cable at home and ATT DSL at work and both provide the full McAfee suite free of charge.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #48 on: 13 Nov 2009, 10:59 pm »
1. AVG Free 9.0
2. Microsoft Security Essentials - Free

Alex

Big Red Machine

« Reply #49 on: 13 Nov 2009, 11:38 pm »
This may be what the doctor ordered.  I also have an old defunct ME machine's hard drive to copy files from.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B001Q4Z5KY/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2IHZFOHOQ0WG8&v=glance

This thing worked like a charm.  I'm copying my files as we speak.  Now what to do with that HD and the computer it came from?

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #50 on: 14 Nov 2009, 12:21 am »
When you get everything copied over format the drive and put it back in the computer and load xp you should be good to go

What speed is it? i could use a spare  :lol:

WGH

« Reply #51 on: 14 Nov 2009, 01:15 am »
If you plan on donating the computer and had any personal info on the hd then you have two options:

1. Completely destroy the hard drive and donate just the computer sans drive. You can take apart a hard drive using torx bits or firearms. The disks inside have a mirror finish and work well to keep birds out of fruit trees.

2. Wipe the drive with program similar to a Department of Defense (DoD) wipe like the free Scrub3.
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=TVAN-SDD

Wayne

Big Red Machine

« Reply #52 on: 17 Nov 2009, 01:58 am »
Might this be helpful.....On-demand Comparative ....August 2009...by AV-Comparatives.org (...independent comparatives of Anti-Virus software)   

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report23.pdf

Chris, very helpful.  Looks like Symantec is actually a very good performer.  Although the Eset 2 year plan for 4 computers, my need, is cheaper than for 3 years with Norton.