Anti virus software - any free packages worth using?

JDUBS

Re: Anti virus software - any free packages worth using?
« Reply #20 on: 26 Oct 2009, 11:45 pm »
Microsoft's new one, Microsoft Security Essentials, is working really well for me.  Very unobtrusive on my 64-bit Windows 7 machine.

-Jim

bacobits1

« Reply #21 on: 27 Oct 2009, 12:11 am »
Last 5 years at least, AVG free not a problem.
CCleaner, and Registry Mechanic. All work great and used for a long time here.

D

gerald porzio

« Reply #22 on: 27 Oct 2009, 12:27 am »
Free isn't always the cheapest way to fly. AVG couldn't clear up some malware issues. I wasn't thrilled with Norton or Trend Micro either. Currently using Avast w/ no issues. Avast offered a free 60 day trial which led me to purchase it.

jrebman

« Reply #23 on: 27 Oct 2009, 10:47 pm »
Not free, but when you're ready to stop playing around and get serious, NOD32 antivirus and System Security suite just leave *all* of the others in the dust.  It's the smallest footprint, lowest impact, best security in the business, and everybody that I've recommened it to has said their computers got noticeably faster especially when replacing McAfee, AVG, and Norton.

http://www.eset.com

You can also buy multiple computer, multi-year licenses at a savings over annual renews.

I've never had a virus since using NOD32 and it has stopped several dead in their tracks.

Eset should start paying me commissions.

-- Jim

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #24 on: 27 Oct 2009, 11:00 pm »
Might this be helpful.....On-demand Comparative ....August 2009...by AV-Comparatives.org (...independent comparatives of Anti-Virus software)   

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report23.pdf

WGH

« Reply #25 on: 28 Oct 2009, 12:04 am »
Not free, but when you're ready to stop playing around and get serious, NOD32 antivirus and System Security suite just leave *all* of the others in the dust.  It's the smallest footprint, lowest impact, best security in the business, and everybody that I've recommened it to has said their computers got noticeably faster especially when replacing McAfee, AVG, and Norton.

http://www.eset.com

You can also buy multiple computer, multi-year licenses at a savings over annual renews.

I've never had a virus since using NOD32 and it has stopped several dead in their tracks.

Eset should start paying me commissions.

-- Jim

:thumb:  NOD32 is the only antivirus I will ever ever use, I agree with everything Jim said.

I also use the Online Armor firewall available in both a free and paid version (I use the paid version) - it is rated #1 by Scot Finnie after a year and a half of testing with the help of more than a thousand Scot's Newsletter readers who've written detailed descriptions of their software firewall experiences. The firewall is great if you need fine grained control over what goes in and out of your computer. Comodo is good too but with all it's pop-ups it is a real PITA compared to Online Armor.

Wayne

JDUBS

« Reply #26 on: 28 Oct 2009, 12:45 am »
I was using NOD32 as well and can definitely recommend it.  My subsription renewal just came up and I decided to try Microsoft's free anti-virus software and like it alot too.  Both seem equally unobtrusive.  Hopefully they are equally effective at catching viruses!!

-Jim

Big Red Machine

« Reply #27 on: 9 Nov 2009, 02:15 am »
Well now my XP machine is foobar'd.  Caught a virus with the Avast and now I can't log into Windows.  It just boots me right back out.

Tried every safe mode and also the XP disc in the CD Rom and it did not ask to start it up.  SO now what do I do?

jrebman

« Reply #28 on: 9 Nov 2009, 02:22 am »
Can you get to your bios screen and make sure that the CD drive is first in the bootup sequence?  Then try your XP CD.

At least it's a first step.  How about avast tech support?

-- Jim

Big Red Machine

« Reply #29 on: 9 Nov 2009, 02:25 am »
Can't figure out how to get the bios screen to show up.

WGH

« Reply #30 on: 9 Nov 2009, 05:35 am »
Usually pressing the Delete key when the boot screen first appears will get into the BIOS.
Or F8 will give you a boot menu screen.

Try using System restore from the recovery console to go back in time
http://www.icompute.info/System_restore_from_xp_cd.htm

If that don't work then nothing on the XP disk will remove a virus if that is the problem. You can re-install the OS though.

XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option
http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400897

Or boot from an Ubuntu boot disk that has an anti-virus utility included to clean the C drive
http://www.ubuntu.com/
You will need to install the anti-virus manually (it ain't pretty) or maybe you can get online with Ubuntu and get to a free online scan site. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Antivirus

Use BootIT NG to image the drive as is in it's broken state so you don't lose any data.
Format the C drive and install XP from scratch.
Use the TBIView software from the BootIT site to extract and copy your data from the image file back to the C drive that has the new XP install.

Best of luck.

Wayne

jmc207

« Reply #31 on: 9 Nov 2009, 05:46 am »
Don't know what brand computer you have, but here are some keys to try to get into BIOS Setup.

For most Dell's, F2 brings up BIOS Setup, while F12 brings up a boot menu.

For other computers try F1, F10, or Esc, in addition to already mentioned Delete key.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #32 on: 9 Nov 2009, 06:49 am »
I use a mixed bag of software. I've read more than once that no 1 program does it all so I have 4 programs that run daily, all at different scheduled times.

McAfee Security Center w/Firewall & Virus scan (free with MSN Premium)

Lavasoft Ad-Aware Pro (subscription virus & spyware scan/realtime protection)

SUPERAntiSpyware (free edition nonscheduling but it's the best I have in detecting the most Spyware)

Windows Defender (Microsoft's free Anti-Spyware w/realtime protection aginst unwanted software & warns against changes in Windows programs)

It's unbelievable the amount of cookies that are detected each day on all these programs. I know folks who have to dump their whole system after only 3 months cuz they don't run Spyware programs and their computer gets completely filled with this crap to the point that it won't even boot up. They had to learn the hard way. :duh:

Cheers,
Robin

Wind Chaser

« Reply #33 on: 9 Nov 2009, 07:47 am »
...I have 4 programs that run daily, all at different scheduled times.

Now that's vigilance!  I just let my ISP anti-virus and anti spy-ware work in the background and perform a full scan once a week.  As long as I don't deviate from the beaten path (or access questionable sites) my machine runs problem free AFAIK.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #34 on: 9 Nov 2009, 08:04 am »
...I have 4 programs that run daily, all at different scheduled times.

Now that's vigilance!  I just let my ISP anti-virus and anti spy-ware work in the background and perform a full scan once a week.  As long as I don't deviate from the beaten path (or access questionable sites) my machine runs problem free AFAIK.

Well when there's over 11,000 albums on one's computer, overvigulance can't be understated imho.  8)  The last thing I want is a hiccup in the middle of a good tune.  :rock:

I also run Windows so I can't afford to be as cavalier as Mac owners.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

Big Red Machine

« Reply #35 on: 9 Nov 2009, 11:07 am »
I got to the System Restore several times with the XP disc in the drive but when I hit R, or Enter, or even F3, nothing!  It just sits there.

If the computer doesn't respond how do you load or have it respond to another software?

Doublej

« Reply #36 on: 9 Nov 2009, 12:03 pm »
To get rid of cookies just run CCleaner. It takes less than a minute to clean my machine and doesn't require lots of computing resources so you can run it multiple times a day. I have been using it for a couple years along with antivirus software and my machine always comes up clean.

It also gets rid of the secret Adobe Flash cookies some cleaning programs ignore.

Also there are programs out there that will block installation of anything without your acceptance. Something to consider for mulit user machines.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #37 on: 9 Nov 2009, 12:57 pm »
I've used AntiVir/AVG free anti-virus on both XP and now Vista 64 machines and have had zero problems.

I also largely stopped logging into AOL about 2 years ago now....and suspect many problems stemmed from that.

I clear 3rd party cookies directly from my browser (Mozilla) every couple months and run CCCleaner every couple, too.   As well, I use (free) Spybot Search and Destroy and Spyware Blaster (they recommend one another and are synergistic in ridding spyware, etc).

All free, all good.....and I'm on my computer (this computer) normally 10 hours daily when I'm not traveling.

John

EthanH

« Reply #38 on: 9 Nov 2009, 01:37 pm »
I've been using AVG free, CCleaner, and Spybot for over a year now with no problems.  Also, I'm no computer tech, but I think your choice of browser is another big factor in virus vulnerability.  I used Firefox with the AdBlock and NoScript plugins for awhile and that setup was okay, but about a year ago I switched to the Google Chrome browser and find it to be faster and more secure. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #39 on: 9 Nov 2009, 02:02 pm »
This looks promising.  Just not sure how to actually get back to an "original" state and if you need to remove this software.  They leave those details out.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boot-Manager-Disk/UBCD4WIN.shtml