Where to buy Power Strip or Housing big enough for audiophile outlets?

Jon L

I am trying to find a power strip casing that has enough spacing to use audiophile outlets without having to cut off the metal ends. Where can I find casings like these?

Doublej

The second one should be easily found at Lowe's or Home Depot or an electrical supply house.

srb

If you want #2 to look more finished, for a few bucks more get the cast aluminum weatherproof type rather than the standard in-wall type.

Steve

TomS

I was planning to buy one of these for my Felix farm, but the Air Parcel shipping was almost as much as the case itself.
http://www.vt4c.com/shop/program/main.php?cat_id=1038&group_id=2&hit_cat=

I estimated the interior dimensions, but am still waiting for him to confirm that.  It is probably a little too tight for anything other than a few hardwired Felix's on the back of the outlets.  The group buy boards are a bit long.

He may be able to put 1 or 2 more in the box for a flat rate shipping price (10kg), but I didn't want to get stuck with them.  PM me if you have an interest and maybe we could work something out.  I thought they looked really nice for $88.

Tom

Jon L

Hmm.  Those do look nice, but the way the duplexes are spaced, you will still have to cut off the outlets' metal ends and "ears."  The first photo I posted is spaced just right to spare the outlets from being chopped up..

Big Red Machine

Does the box have to be metal?

TomS

Hmm.  Those do look nice, but the way the duplexes are spaced, you will still have to cut off the outlets' metal ends and "ears."  The first photo I posted is spaced just right to spare the outlets from being chopped up..
Good catch.  I hadn't even noticed that.  Here are some pics of the outlet and plate they use (no ears).  I was going to just use the stock Hubbell 5262's I already have.

Jon L

I went to Home Depot and picked up some utillity boxes for my outlet boxes.

With Synergistic Research Tesla Plex outlet.

Tesla Plex and ACME Cryo Silver Outlet.

Right now, I made them just to function as straight extension cord/expansion box, but there is room enough in there for simple capacitors, Bybees, etc, should I decide to play with those..

mjosef

The weather-proof outlet boxes are much nicer, but more expensive. plus you will need to buy the 1" extension if you wish to install caps and/or a compact felix.

Available in the same aisle you got those inwall ones. Plus its non-ferrous.

here is a single gang-with-extension one I made with a felix mounted directly onto the back of the outlet.

srb

That's what I was recommending.  Smooth, pre-painted, sealed and the cover fits flush.

Steve

Jon L

Due to popular demand, I re-visited Home Depot and bought some non-ferrous outdoor boxes.  Luckily, the spring-loaded outlet covers could be removed.  Do they sound better?  I will see..

mdconnelly

I was on a similar search not too long ago... just wanted to extend my single duplex 20a dedicated circuit.  I'd been toying with just adding more outlets to the wall but then came across the PS Audio Juicebar II for $119 from CryoParts and they include the cryo treatment as well.

I haven't really compared it to anything, but it's built like a tank and sounds great. 

Check it out... http://www.cryo-parts.com/ps_audio_power_strip.html

JimJ

• Ut Prosim

For some reason, I find that pic hilarious.

:D

Wayner

All outlet metal ears and tabs are made to be easily taken off.

Wayner  :D

Jon L

All outlet metal ears and tabs are made to be easily taken off.

True...Until the Oyaide R1's showed up at my door.

Comparing Oyaide R1's, Texlaplexes, ACME's, Cryo Hubbels, etc is almost as much fun as cable reviews  :o

BobRex

Looking at Tom's pictures, and then checking the provided web site, I'd be a little leary of using these outlets and boxes.  It appeats that the only way to mount the outlet to the box / plate is using the center cover plate mounting screw.  How many times do you think you can push a ;lug into that socket (and remember, some plug / socket connections are pretty tight!) before you either snap the outlet body or pull the insert out of the body.  Something tells me those pieces wouldn't pass UL certs.

Wayner

While it's not my favorite mounting method either, I'm sure the outlets are UL listed and if that is the only mounting  method, must have passed the test. The center screw is part of the ground body which is also part of the bracket assembly and it appears that the two ends of the bracket rest against the mounting plate, giving it a steady perch. The screw merely holds the outlet to the cover.

Wayner  :D

BobRex

Are you sure that the center screw is part of the ground body?  If you look at the top outlet picture on the web site it appears that the center screw is just a threaded insert molded into the plastic body.  I don't see any conection to the ground plane, and I beleive I see plastic behind the insert.

Does anybody have one of these?  If so, could you check continuity between the back ground strap / bracket assembly and the center threads?

Wayner

I believe UL requires it as this is how metal outlet covers are grounded.

Wayner