Which is preferable: 20 feet of speaker cable or 20 feet of SE IC's?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
XLR or RCA interconnects?

I've read that the ideal lengths are 2 ft for interconnects and 7 feet for speaker cables.

RF/EMI aside I'd go longer on the higher output/heavier gauge wire.

The pre-amp output must also be considered.

Quiet Earth

Some good questions that never got answered :
The needed facts are:
a) Can the pre-amp output drive long interconnects?
b) Can the amplifier drive long speaker cables?
c) Will the amplifier be plugged in to a AC power outlet on a different circuit? Will this cause ground-loop hum?

I like to keep my interconnects at one meter or less because I use a TVC (passive volume control). Some tube preamps and many DACs might also benefit from short ICs. Another benefit to short ICs is the ability to place all of your components close enough to share the same AC circuit. There's a lot of talk about multiple AC circuits, especially for the megawatt crowd, but I like to plug all of my gear into one balanced AC transformer on one circuit. No ground loops and shorter ac cables too. (I think my whole rig only consumes about 380 watts from the wall.)

There's nothing wrong with having two or three meters of speaker wire (per side) other than cost.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Yes, I had a passive pre-amp and moved to attenuators that plug directly into the back of my monoblocks.  Now treble is more extended and much clearer.

Browntrout

No one has suggested having them equal lengths defeating the arguments for and against  :lol:

If it were me I would have the monoblocks near the speakers, but as you say that would involve having one running off the non dedicated line I would be cautious. If your dedicated line is of a lower impedance than the normal one then one monoblock would be lagging behind the other which is not good.

P.S On a completely different note could Vinyl Lady kindly stop posting pictures of gorgeous food in her gallery, it's not fair! :lol:

Wayner

The longer length should favor the speaker cable. Interconnects, even the best ones (at something like 12pf per foot) should be kept to a minimum. If you can live with 1 or 1.5 meter long cables, you'll be good. Also consider ICs that have 2 layer shielding, to keep the low level signal clean. Low capacitance, lots of shielding.

Wayner

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Def. longer speaker cable.

Also, try ICs with and without shielding. You might find shielding does more harm than good. I agree that low capacitance is a requirement for good ICs. Low inductance is better for the SCs, in general.

doug s.

• makin' music
def. longer ic's:

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showpost.php4?p=84659&postcount=18

def longer speaker cable:

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/computer-audio/audio-faqs/short-versus-long-cables

personally, if given the choice, my amps would set right behind my speakers, longer ic's, shorter speaker wires.

ymmv,

doug s.

vinyl_lady

P.S On a completely different note could Vinyl Lady kindly stop posting pictures of gorgeous food in her gallery, it's not fair! :lol:

Browntrout,

The food tasted as good as it looks. You have a standing invitation to come to dinner at my house if you are ever in eastern Washington State. I'll bbq your favorite meat/fish :) and spin some vinyl. :thumb:

Laura

Browntrout

Thankyou very much that is very kind of you Laura. I live in England though so, unfortunately, will have to make do with the pictures  :bawl:

vinylphilemag

• Vinylphile magazine
You have a standing invitation to come to dinner at my house if you are ever in eastern Washington State. I'll bbq your favorite meat/fish :) and spin some vinyl. :thumb:

Laura

Hey, I was in your neck of the wood this past weekend (sort of)!  I was driving down Hwy 97, on my way from Kelowna to Portland.

vinylphilemag

• Vinylphile magazine
Thankyou very much that is very kind of you Laura. I live in England though so, unfortunately, will have to make do with the pictures  :bawl:

Where abouts in England are you?  I used to live in Basingstoke, Hants...

vinyl_lady

Hey, I was in your neck of the wood this past weekend (sort of)!  I was driving down Hwy 97, on my way from Kelowna to Portland.

Rich,
I was in the Kelowna area in July 2008. Stayed at Predator's Ridge. I was golfing my way from Spokane to Vancouver BC for a week long conference.

Laura

geezer

With a lot of people opting for long SCs and a lot for long ICs, it suggests it really doesn't matter (as long as lengths are reasonable).

Quiet Earth

vinylphilemag

• Vinylphile magazine

Rich,
I was in the Kelowna area in July 2008. Stayed at Predator's Ridge. I was golfing my way from Spokane to Vancouver BC for a week long conference.

Laura

Cool!  If you're ever in Kelowna again, Laura, give me a shout!  I'm always interested in meeting fellow forum members (especially those with an interest in vinyl!).