Using A Computer UPS as a Battery Drive for TT Motor

Mister Pig

• "when pigs fly"
    • Affordable Audio/Positive Feedback Online writer
hen I owned a 250 series Teres table, one the largest upgrades I made was installing the battery option for the motor.

Well the Teres is no longer with me, and I am returning to vinyl. The motor is a standard 24-pole synchronous Airpak unit. I have been wondering if a UPS computer power supply can be used in the same fashion as the battery option the Teres had. Curious to know if the same sonic improvements can be coaxed from this motor. The battery option offered better low level resolution, a reduction in the noise floor, and greater dynamic contrasts.

I use an Audio Magic Mini-Reference power conditioner, which does not follow conventional line conditioning theory. A computer UPS power supply appears to do a nice job regulating the incoming AC voltage. However, the units I have looked at do not allow for a manual selection of the battery output. It appears the power would have to be turned off to the UPS before the battery would be available. Then the question is, what battery size is needed for an evening of listening.

Has anyone experimented with these units?

Regards
Mister Pig

TheChairGuy

Re: Using A Computer UPS as a Battery Drive for TT Motor
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2009, 03:20 pm »
Hey Mister Pig,

Yup - the ones you buy for under $200 at Best Buy, etc. do not output a true sine wave.

The ones that do costs many multiples of this cost.

I've experimented with a couple UPS conditioners on my gear (not any turntable, tho)....and been underwhelmed by the results.

Then again, to date, I've found that the majority of power conditioning gear degraded sound (at least on the analog side).

John