Upgrade Help?

AGP

Upgrade Help?
« on: 19 Oct 2009, 10:17 am »
My current system consists of a Bryston SP2, 5 flying mole amps, PMC GB1, Marantz 7001 signature CD Player and Amber cables.

I use this system for surround sound duty as well as 2 channel music.

To improve my listening enjoyment of 2 channel music I have been thinking of upgrading to the Bryston BCD1 and Bryston 4B SST2.

I have been reading lots of great reviews about these two and thought they would make a great combo I am also wondering how much improvement I will notice using the GB1s? 

In about 6 months time when I have the $ I intend to upgrade my speakers to PMC OB1 or PB1.

Any thoughts on speaker recommendation for my set-up is welcome. :scratch:   

Levi

Re: Upgrade Help?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2009, 02:02 pm »
I am not familiar with the flying mole amps combination.  I can only say that the 4B will be a great match for the GB1.  Ian (PMC-USA) mentioned to me that they voice their speakers using Bryston amps.  Having said that, going with Bryston is a step forward.  Since we all have different perception when it comes to hearing, room, and room acoustics etc., auditioning the gears at home would be best. 

PMC OB1 or PB1 would definitely an upgrade to the GB1.  The soft dome midrange is really good as far as clarity and soundstaging.  PB1 is like the OB1 but goes deeper in bass and plays much louder.  For your perspective, a BP26 + 4B + BCD1 + PMC = Heaven!

AGP

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2009, 05:16 pm »
I am not familiar with the flying mole amps combination.  I can only say that the 4B will be a great match for the GB1.  Ian (PMC-USA) mentioned to me that they voice their speakers using Bryston amps.  Having said that, going with Bryston is a step forward.  Since we all have different perception when it comes to hearing, room, and room acoustics etc., auditioning the gears at home would be best. 

PMC OB1 or PB1 would definitely an upgrade to the GB1.  The soft dome midrange is really good as far as clarity and soundstaging.  PB1 is like the OB1 but goes deeper in bass and plays much louder.  For your perspective, a BP26 + 4B + BCD1 + PMC = Heaven!

Thanks for replying Levi

I did have a listen to the OB1 speakers 2 years ago at my Bryston dealer and really liked what I herd.

My flying mole amps and the GB1 speakers were clearance stock and cost me very little at the time

Unfortunately trying the system in my place is not possible as there are no dealers in Muscat.

I am a bit concern about system set-up as we move every 2 years from one country to the next so the room acoustics will probably change every time I guess I will have live with that.

I like THIEL CS2.4 but not to sure how they would mate to the Bryston gear?  My other concern is how will I go about matching centre speaker for surround duty.     

Levi

« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2009, 06:01 pm »
I can try to address your other concern. The center channel should match the L and R speaker.   The surround channel can be mix match. Placement is also important a in 5.1 or 7.1 system.

AGP

« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2009, 07:08 am »
I can try to address your other concern. The center channel should match the L and R speaker.   The surround channel can be mix match. Placement is also important a in 5.1 or 7.1 system.

As Thiel have SCS4 shelf model  I assume it would match the CS2.4 floor stands.

I am really looking forward to picking up my 4BSST2 and BCD1 in 6 weeks.:drool:

I will hopefully be able to try some speakers in my room next year when i shift to Thailand.

Levi

« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2009, 03:08 pm »
I am not familiar with the SCS4 but here is a review about them http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/learningcenter/speakers/THIELSCS4.html

The 4B is good specially with your PMC speakers.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2009, 02:35 am »
The 4B is one of the best amps in the world, imo.

SMS1977

« Reply #7 on: 26 Oct 2009, 11:24 am »
AGP:

I completely agree with Levi.  The 4B will sound great with the GB1's and it will be really good with either the OB1's or PB1's if you decide to upgrade to those as well.  I relatively recently got a 4BSST2 to pair with my FB1's and it sounded amazing.  Then I upgraded to the OB1's and it sounded even better and the 4B is pushing the OB1's with ease and power to spare.

As for the OB1's vs the PB1's.  I demoed both when I was in the process of upgrading (and I listened to FB1's at the same time so I could get a sense of the differences between what I had and what I was upgrading to).  Again I completely agree with Levi.  The PB1's go a little bit deeper, play a little bit louder and the mid range is just a touch "cleaner/clearer" for the lack of a better way of putting it.  I heard both on a Bryston 3B, which wasn't having any trouble pushing them!  However, IMHO I could not justify spending approx 60% more for the PB1's.  IMHO there was a bigger difference between the FB1's and the OB1's than there wa between the OB1's and the PB1's.