some young guy

Re: 2012
« Reply #20 on: 20 Oct 2009, 12:50 am »
Sorry, I seem to be having a bad puter day...

jimdgoulding

« Reply #21 on: 20 Oct 2009, 11:56 am »
Has anyone seen the previews for this yet?  I have a feeling this may just be the worst movie of all time!   :roll:

Somebody had too much fun with the CGI.
Boy, that right.  I'm already oversaturated with that stuff.  Kids can't seen to get enough.  Maybe it's aa adrenilin thing.  If you're a studio, kids are spending the money.  I'm surprised Amelia got made.

ajzepp

« Reply #22 on: 10 Nov 2009, 04:01 am »
The early reviews for this film are just plain odd. Most of them seem positive, but they're saying things like "it was so ridiculous that it was a ton of fun!"....that make me nervous lol.

Bigfish

« Reply #23 on: 10 Nov 2009, 04:14 am »
I will be interested to read the reviews of you guys that go to see this one.  It looks like a rental to me unless your reviews convince me otherwise.

Ken

rydenfan

« Reply #24 on: 10 Nov 2009, 04:45 pm »
Based off of the previews I am not even sure I could sit through this one as a rental.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #25 on: 17 Nov 2009, 12:35 pm »
It was unbelievably ridiculous and way too long, lagging in the dull details.  Overall the CG worked, but some of it was just too contrived, maybe done purposely so in keeping with the plot.  Not much else to say about this one.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #26 on: 20 Nov 2009, 03:42 am »
Is it at least good eye candy?
How about good food for the subwoofer?
Some of us like to let our brains melt away while we watch things explode. Kinda like July forth and the fireworks display.....just show me the pretty colors and let me hear the big bangs. I don't need to have an intellectual challenge every time I watch a movie.
Is it a new reference movie for LFE? If so, I'll go buy it, cause War of the Worlds has been "seen to death" by everybody that's been to my house. It's becoming a cliche' flick to use as LFE reference.

Bob - Man enough to admit I like watching things blow up on TV.

Mariusz

« Reply #27 on: 20 Nov 2009, 03:55 am »
**1/2! :thumbdown:
It was unbelievably ridiculous and way too long, lagging in the dull details.  Overall the CG worked, but some of it was just too contrived, maybe done purposely so in keeping with the plot.  Not much else to say about this one.

That just about sums it up.
If you like stupid, this is it. :shake:
The events, circumstances, characters, special effects/CG all crap.  :duh:
It was funny thought. :lol:
Can't wait to 2012.
 :thumb:

drcruz

« Reply #28 on: 30 Nov 2009, 06:16 pm »
Bob-FSL,

I saw it yesterday and I liked it. I think it'll look and sound NICE on a HT system and I plan on buying it. I even liked the story and am pretty satisfied w/ the explanation on how humanity was saved from extinction.

I checked on Box Office Mojo and it's grossing $600 Mil worldwide. I also check Rotten Tomatoes and it's 37%. It always pleases me to see the difference between movie gross and Film Critic Acclaim, because I HATE filmcritic reviews and it ALWAYS pleases me to see THE USELESSNESS OF FILM CRITICS.
« Last Edit: 4 Dec 2009, 01:37 am by drcruz »

ltr317

« Reply #29 on: 30 Nov 2009, 07:08 pm »
Saw the movie Saturday, and thought it was at least entertaining.  The movie reminded me a little like an Indiana Jones flick in that John Cusack escape from one catastrophe to another with seconds to spare.  Since it was only $5 for a matinee showing, it was worth it to see the movie on a big screen for the special effects.  It was better than I thought, since I went into the theater with low expectations. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 1 Dec 2009, 02:26 pm »
Bob-FSL,

I saw it yesterday and I liked it. I think it'll look and sound NICE on a HT system and I plan on buying it. I even liked the story and am pretty satisfied w/ the explanation on how humanity was saved from extinction.
Thanks for the heads up.
Yea, basically with movies like this I'm looking for "eye candy" and "ear candy" for the HT room. Nothing else. I'm not looking for depth, or to discover anything righteous. I just wanna see stuff blow up.

By the way, your last comment should have been labeled in large bold letters,

"***** SPOILER *****".  :wink:

Bob

Wind Chaser

« Reply #31 on: 1 Dec 2009, 02:49 pm »
They should have titled it Noah "Jackson and the Ark".

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 1 Dec 2009, 05:21 pm »
 :scratch: :dunno:

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #33 on: 1 Dec 2009, 06:23 pm »

Here are a few thoughts about the 2012 theory.  :o

The Mayan calender is said to end at the winter soltice Dec. 21 2012. The Mayan's worshipped the sun, moon, and stars with human sacrifice much like seen in the movie "Temple of Doom". Then the birth of the sun god would happen Dec. 25. Interesting date huh?

Also, it is said the our sun, as well as earth will have crossed the equator of our solar system at that time. This happens every 23,000 years, or so they say. That is why people, mostly in Europe, are expecting the world to end with a polar shift, flipping the north pole to the south, due to crossing this solar equator.

My take, I don't think the earth will end with a polar shift. I do know that the boys running the world, and the UN, worship the sun, moon, and stars, like the Mayans, and these two events happening at the same time is monumental to say the least, as they make all their moves according to planetary movements.

Back in the early part of 2008, when everything was still booming, I thought that all this was pretty significant for the NWO boys running things and that big things could happen between that time and 2012 to usher in their desired harmonic cosmic consciousness.

So just a short time later we are facing a depression, the collapse of the U.S. dollar, and perhaps all world currency as we know it, the set up of a World Government, WW III in the middle east, etc, etc.

I know that these Boy's bring out their plans first through their controlled HollyWood to condition the people to comply. So we will see how all this fits into the equation.

All of this, from my research, is leading us headlong into a totalitarian World Government, which is being set up right now. Hold on to your shorts and watch the carbon tax scam that will be a major part of all this.

So I do think these things are very significant. My plan has been to be out of the city and be more self sufficient. If you live in a city, and would like to get out while you can, you might want to watch this movie. You have to give an email, but they will not abuse it.
http://www.urbandanger.com

So Bill, you asked and I shared.

No go easy on me folks, it's Bill's fault.  :lol:

Rocket_2012_Ronny

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 1 Dec 2009, 06:41 pm »
Dude, You need to wind down a bit. You're gonna have a stroke.  :lol:

Bob

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #35 on: 1 Dec 2009, 07:01 pm »

Aaauuuggghh. What's that you said Bob, Drop, Bang !!! 

Rocket_stroker_Ronny

gitarretyp

« Reply #36 on: 1 Dec 2009, 07:38 pm »

Here are a few thoughts about the 2012 theory.  :o

The Mayan calender is said to end at the winter soltice Dec. 21 2012. The Mayan's worshipped the sun, moon, and stars with human sacrifice much like seen in the movie "Temple of Doom". Then the birth of the sun god would happen Dec. 25. Interesting date huh?

Also, it is said the our sun, as well as earth will have crossed the equator of our solar system at that time. This happens every 23,000 years, or so they say. That is why people, mostly in Europe, are expecting the world to end with a polar shift, flipping the north pole to the south, due to crossing this solar equator.

Firstly, the 2012 "theory" is non-sense and has absolutely no scientific basis. It has no more significance than December 31st does to the Gregorian calendar hanging on your wall.

Secondly, I'm not really sure to what the last paragraph I quoted is referring. There are multiple ways in which to define the equator of the solar system: The most common is the ecliptic plane, which is the plane defined by the earth's orbit about the sun --which would be physically impossible for us to cross for obvious reasons. The second, and more rigorous, is the invariable plane, which is the plane passing through the solar system's center of mass and perpendicular to the angular momentum of the solar system. We pass through this plane twice a year without incident. The only major earth event that happens on a ~23,000 year cycle is the axial precession of the earth (actually closer 26,000 and also called precession of the equinoxes), whose primary effect is alteration of seasons and has happened thousands of times without incident.

The earth does shift magnetic poles on a somewhat variable period (hundreds of thousands to millions of years periods) and has always done so. No shift is foreseeable in the near future.

Sorry for the rant, but, as a scientist, I couldn't resist.

mcullinan

« Reply #37 on: 1 Dec 2009, 08:52 pm »
Possibly the worst flick ever. I made it through about half then split. OK sometimes you have to give a little, bend reality and you know its a movie. The guy cant fly... then how come he can zip down through an imploding buildings basement and fly thru no prob... And everything was always biting at the main characters heels, but never got them. Overall a little repetitive and not grounded in any reality I know of.
Mike

Wind Chaser

« Reply #38 on: 2 Dec 2009, 01:16 am »
...not grounded in any reality I know of.

Try a little acid.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #39 on: 2 Dec 2009, 01:40 am »
Saw the movie Saturday, and thought it was at least entertaining.  The movie reminded me a little like an Indiana Jones flick in that John Cusack escape from one catastrophe to another with seconds to spare.  Since it was only $5 for a matinee showing, it was worth it to see the movie on a big screen for the special effects.  It was better than I thought, since I went into the theater with low expectations.

Well I was hoping to hear a little motivation to go see this movie as I love high energy action thrillers and I don't need to microthink every fact/fiction moment to enjoy any movie. With all the negativity, I wasn't going to waste my time but if you were entertained Paul, then I think I'll take the drive thrusday and give it a go. :thumb:  Thanks for posting against the flow,,,,

Cheers,
Robin