Super-V's in the wild!

Danny Richie

Re: Super-V's in the wild!
« Reply #40 on: 8 Jul 2010, 03:10 pm »
There are a couple of guys that have programmed their CNC to cut this stuff out. I don't know that any of them would be willing to give that away though.

If it were me, I might consider just the side panels in Aluminum, but not the whole speaker.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #41 on: 8 Jul 2010, 04:14 pm »
There are a couple of guys that have programmed their CNC to cut this stuff out. I don't know that any of them would be willing to give that away though.
I would never ask for that.  I was just speaking of the weight of wood VS. aluminum in the solid model.  You can switch material and get an idea of the weight from the model.

If it were me, I might consider just the side panels in Aluminum, but not the whole speaker.
:scratch:  There's a thought but nah go big or go home.   :D

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #42 on: 8 Jul 2010, 04:18 pm »
See the issue is attachment.  Metal and MDF are a difficult marriage.  BUT I could do metal and Richlite as I could use nut-serts.  Hmm  The key is that it can be bolted together.  I always use an adheisve with aluminum construction.  Actually the glue becomes stronger then the bolting..the bolts just hold it together as the adheisve is drying.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #43 on: 8 Jul 2010, 08:05 pm »
Sean,
I hope the Super-V's when you get them have Ruben's cabinets!  The ones he posted so far for other designs look really good!   :thumb:

Hi Hal,

I'm pleased to hear that you like what you've seen thus far. :D

Actually, Sean and I have discussed the idea of doing a pair of 9's AND a pair Super V's! 

I'm do something new with both designs.

Ruben

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #44 on: 8 Jul 2010, 08:12 pm »
Thanks guys!  The only thing holding me back at the moment is weight.  Danny says that they weigh about 180 lbs in wood.  Mine in aluminum would probably be in the 400-500 lb range.  I think.  I need to model them and see what it comes out to...unless Danny already has them modeled and can "flip the switch" on material.   :D

And here I am thinking that 1 1/2" MDF if heavy! :lol:

It would be great to see these come to fruition!

Have you weighed your aluminum servo sub?

Thanks,

Ruben

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #45 on: 8 Jul 2010, 11:14 pm »
Have you weighed your aluminum servo sub?

Thanks,

Ruben

~120 lbs assembled.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #46 on: 15 Jul 2010, 12:54 pm »
OK.  I know I've asked at least once before, where are the Super V plans? 

I think it's time to start some CAD work and investigate.   :duh:

My other question is do you (Danny) have any immediate plans to update the Super V.  If so, will it be a retro to older versions?  I'd hate to go through all this and it be outdated before it's finished. 

ebag4

« Reply #47 on: 15 Jul 2010, 01:36 pm »
OK.  I know I've asked at least once before, where are the Super V plans? 

I think it's time to start some CAD work and investigate.   :duh:

My other question is do you (Danny) have any immediate plans to update the Super V.  If so, will it be a retro to older versions?  I'd hate to go through all this and it be outdated before it's finished.
Jason,
Go for it!  An aluminum SuperV would be too cool!  Here is a link to the SuperV plans:
http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/supervbox.pdf

Best,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #48 on: 15 Jul 2010, 04:12 pm »
I have no plans to do anything new with the plans. I am really happy with them the way they are.

If you mill some out of Aluminum or something then you just might find someone out there crazy enough to want a pair that way too. And just maybe you can sell a pair of those fancy cabinets. And why not. People pay ridiculous amounts of money for those YG Acoustics and the Super-V's eat those for lunch.
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2010, 06:38 pm by Danny »

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #49 on: 15 Jul 2010, 04:47 pm »
People pay ridiculous amounts of money for those YG Acoustics and the Super-V's eat those for lunch.

That's awesome!

The Super-V eats the "Best Speaker in the World for Lunch" next issue... :lol:

Danny Richie

« Reply #50 on: 15 Jul 2010, 05:15 pm »
An A/B comparison would be great. Anybody have any YG's?  :eyebrows:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #51 on: 15 Jul 2010, 06:15 pm »
An A/B comparison would be great. Anybody have any YG's?  :eyebrows:

Umm, I think they were all eaten for lunch.   :)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #52 on: 15 Jul 2010, 06:16 pm »
If you Mills some out of Aluminum or something then you just might find someone out there crazy enough to want a pair that way too.

:scratch:  I don't know if I should take this as a compliment or  :nono:   :oops:

Danny Richie

« Reply #53 on: 15 Jul 2010, 06:41 pm »
 :lol: :lol: You know the type. Those crazy people that have to go one step beyond everyone else. Or go just a little bit faster... Those "one upper" types... You know, guys like YOU and ME.  :lol: :lol:

BTW, I was thinking of having some side panels, the base, and the little bow-tie section cut from granite.  :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #54 on: 15 Jul 2010, 06:55 pm »
:lol: :lol: You know the type. Those crazy people that have to go one step beyond everyone else. Or go just a little bit faster... Those "one upper" types... You know, guys like YOU and ME.  :lol: :lol:
:shh:

BTW, I was thinking of having some side panels, the base, and the little bow-tie section cut from granite.  :thumb:
Too easy!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #55 on: 15 Jul 2010, 06:57 pm »
WOW!  Super-V's against YG's! 

Now that sounds like a good old fashion  :guns:

ebag4

« Reply #56 on: 15 Jul 2010, 06:58 pm »

Make sense, afterall, they are not nearly heavy enough now!  :wink: j/k

Best,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #57 on: 15 Jul 2010, 07:09 pm »
WOW!  Super-V's against YG's! 

Now that sounds like a good old fashion

Nay, that wouldn't even be fair. That would be like showing up to a gun fight only to see me holding a bazooka.  :D

I am thinking that an N3 kit and a single servo sub would be a much more fair comparison. Maybe the YG guys can see this and take it as a challenge. They have been going head to head with everybody else this year and publicizing it as part of their ad campaign.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #58 on: 15 Jul 2010, 07:11 pm »

Nay, that wouldn't even be fair. That would be like showing up to a gun fight only to see me holding a bazooka.  :D

I am thinking that an N3 kit and a single servo sub would be a much more fair comparison. Maybe the YG guys can see this and take it as a challenge. They have been going head to head with everybody else this year and publicizing it as part of their ad campaign.

I'll be glad to send them an email linking this.   :D  Then I really will have to build an all aluminum cabinet.   :dance:  Man, I love excuses. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #59 on: 15 Jul 2010, 07:14 pm »
Actually I have a local guy that does this stuff:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ewwatsonjr/RecentProjects?feat=directlink#

So I was going to get him to do some granite type coatings on my MDF and see how it turned out.

I have some flat pack Super-V cabinets coming and will have him do a pair as soon as they get here.