HAL ....

Lucky man....good speakers...and a good beer...enjoy both ! :beer:

I was impressed with them at RMAF...good job Danny !! :beer:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Super-V's in the wild!
« Reply #21 on: 5 Dec 2009, 01:04 pm »
Chris,
Thanks!  I am having fun with the Super-V's.

Here is a link to the thread on the PA to drive them.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=74798.0

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #22 on: 16 Dec 2009, 01:14 pm »
Some PI Audio Group room diffusor panels came yesterday.  Will be giving those a try with the Super-V's soon to recreate some of the RMAF 2009 experience. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #23 on: 21 Dec 2009, 01:56 am »
The PI Audio Group ABB-1's arrived and set them up with the Super-V's.  The room they are in is pretty absorbent due to the front wall being covered with 2" Sonex.  The rear wavefront ambience from the Super-V's was mostly gone.  Adding the ABB-1's brought back alot of the ambience, but not adding any point reflections.  Very nice indeed.  Here is a picture of the setup.

Once I have other equipment moved out of my room in 2010, will be setting the system up for more trials in it final surroundings.

Truly fun with room acoustics experience thanks to Dave and Danny! :)

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #24 on: 21 Dec 2009, 03:23 am »
Congrats.
 What finish did you get?

Still debating what I should do in my room.

Could you put some more pics of the diffusors  in a gallery or something,  like shots from the side, back and a little closer?

-I had asked for a little more explanation from Dave on what he meant by adding mass from the packing material.
Could you tell us if you did this?

-Tony

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #25 on: 21 Dec 2009, 03:35 am »
I got the Linen White color for the ABB-1's.

Do not have any other pictures and it will be awhile before I can take more.  Will try in January.

The ABB-1's come with masonite panels that protect them in shipping and can be added to the back for additional mass.  This lowers the absorption frequency range.  The panels themselves are solid.

You can see the masonite panels on the floor under the stacks of ABB-1's.  They are the same size as the back of the panel.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #26 on: 21 Dec 2009, 03:39 am »
Oooh, I think I get it.

Thanks.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #27 on: 21 Dec 2009, 04:10 am »
Congrats.
 What finish did you get?

Still debating what I should do in my room.

Could you put some more pics of the diffusors  in a gallery or something,  like shots from the side, back and a little closer?

-I had asked for a little more explanation from Dave on what he meant by adding mass from the packing material.
Could you tell us if you did this?

-Tony
Tony, I'm sorry if I missed a question on this.  I thought that I had been on top of this stuff, but I think not.

We ship the diffusers with a piece of cardboard and a piece of 1/8" masonite as protection and as a way to mass load the diffusers to help correct room problems.  This is for very broad tuning only and not meant to be a cure all.  The cardboard and masonite can be attached with double stick foam tape for trials and glued on with acrylic latex caulk for permanent soultions.  The cardboard will make the panels more absorbent in the lower midrange (<350Hz) and the masonite in the mid and upper bass (<120Hz).  The panels can be configured in many ways and the most often used application will actually be behind the listening position.  Dipoles are a new animal to me and others, so the uses are going to be cut and try for a while.  I know what the math says, but sometimes application does not follow theory to the letter.  Like my friend Bob Hodas says: "Diffusers have been around for a long time and we still aren't really sure how to measure them."

Room treatment is an art as much as it is a science because of the listening variables and requirements.  You don't treat a room the same way for chamber music as you would for Megadeath.

Rich is in a learning mode and I will be making some suggestions from what I can see, but it is hard to do when I can't be there to measure and more importantly, listen to the space and the effects of the treatment.

Anyway, Merry Christmas everybody!

Dave

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #28 on: 21 Dec 2009, 09:30 pm »
Dave,
Funny you should mention listening to chamber music or Megadeath.  I listen to both!  :D

I guess it will be a challenge!

(The Audio Mad Scientist in me had to say this!)

Bear

« Reply #29 on: 27 Jan 2010, 01:43 am »
Hal

Any impressions with your super v's?  Imaging, low spl coherency vs high spl coherency, mid-range, high frequency?  How do they sound with a large complex orchestra(piano, strings, horns, organ) vs. say a single instrument and voice arrangement?, how about for rockin out :drums:?   Do they reveal if an album was well recorded vs. a bad recording(are they revealing)?

Is that 20 questions yet :oops:

Are you still enjoying them?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #30 on: 27 Jan 2010, 01:48 am »
I had a problem with the Dodd Battery PA and had to send it back.  Once it is returned, will give them more listening time. 

They are still at a friends, so only get some time with them every few weeks.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #31 on: 4 Jul 2010, 05:07 am »
Ok, after way to long the Super-V's are at my place.  My friend Bob came over this evening for a tuning session.  Got out the measuring tape and laser alignment tool and really tweaked the Super-V position in the room. 

The sound stage is now very solid and well integrated.  The depth of stage is also very nice.  We both noticed that it sounds like the music is going slower with very good detail, but not etched.  Very nice indeed.

The ABB-1 diffusors are behind the Super-V's and make a good thing even better.

Tomorrow is using CLIO to do some fine tuning of the levels between the subs to the coaxial driver.  This should be the final adjustment as they sound really good so far. 

Played various types of music from pop to classical.  All of it sounded very good.

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #32 on: 7 Jul 2010, 05:10 pm »
Thanks for the update!  Still looking to get a pair for myself at some point.

Sean

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #33 on: 8 Jul 2010, 01:04 am »
Sean,
I hope the Super-V's when you get them have Ruben's cabinets!  The ones he posted so far for other designs look really good!   :thumb: 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #34 on: 8 Jul 2010, 01:15 am »
I've been thinking of making some Super V's out of aluminum...so they match my Rythmik subs.   :scratch:

ebag4

« Reply #35 on: 8 Jul 2010, 02:10 am »
I've been thinking of making some Super V's out of aluminum...so they match my Rythmik subs.   :scratch:
Now that would be COOL! :thumb:

Best,
Ed

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #36 on: 8 Jul 2010, 04:18 am »
Oh, MAN!!! Would that be awesome!  I've seen your work so I know how cool those would be.  Let me be the second person here to say: Onward!  You never fail to amaze me   :thumb:

Dave

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #37 on: 8 Jul 2010, 11:12 am »
Thanks guys!  The only thing holding me back at the moment is weight.  Danny says that they weigh about 180 lbs in wood.  Mine in aluminum would probably be in the 400-500 lb range.  I think.  I need to model them and see what it comes out to...unless Danny already has them modeled and can "flip the switch" on material.   :D

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #38 on: 8 Jul 2010, 02:36 pm »
Thanks guys!  The only thing holding me back at the moment is weight.  Danny says that they weigh about 180 lbs in wood.  Mine in aluminum would probably be in the 400-500 lb range.  I think.  I need to model them and see what it comes out to...unless Danny already has them modeled and can "flip the switch" on material.   :D
Second floor, right?

:wink:

Dave

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #39 on: 8 Jul 2010, 02:58 pm »
Second floor, right?

:wink:

Dave

Yes sir!