Anyone else stumbled into a Home theater PC?

GHM

Re: Anyone else stumbled into a Home theater PC?
« Reply #40 on: 31 Oct 2009, 05:35 pm »
Interesting on the PJ, GHM.
I'm still on the fence with the Windows7 package.  As an educator, I should be getting a discount package, but
the replies from the company contracted to my school district have been vague at most.  All I asked him was what would be the cost of the complete 7 Home Premium package, and all he kept sending me was the Update package price.  I assume that the home premium would have the built in Media Server.
Anyway, I have a new computer, with two 1 T hard drives and a smaller one for the OS, and am thinking that since I am not hooked up to cable, I need to remove my TV card from my desktop, also install the video card
I bought for this with HDMI output, and if I don't get the Windows 7 right away, try the Ubuntu (basically Linux, righ?) and Mythbuntu approach.
I don't have a A/V receiver with HDMI, so...
On that, I am waiting for the Denon model ??? which appears to be the only one that still has a phono.
What a mess? On that WD Live box option, there was a thread that suggested another box, not Popcorn, that was also able to play other codec files, like mkv (h264) high definition files.  But if I have those codecs in my hard drives, wouldn't it play naturally as it does on my desktop? Seems like I would be doubling up.  And to add to that, wouldn't it be better to just buy a blu ray player (LG) from N*wegg for $80 for the HTPC, rather than a stand alone player?  B*st B*y is selling their re-badged LG player with Netflix downstreaming for $99 today.  Sure looks like an option to me... aa
Lyndon

Lyndon,

Yes WIn7 home comes with the Media center, which allows you to use extenders with it if you choose to. I don't have cable either. At the present time I don't have a need for it. There's so much content online to use it leaves cable not needed.

I use a receiver that has just SPDIF input for sound. I don't get the uncompressed sound, but I'm fine with the basic DTS or Dolby Digital sound tracks.

Does your PC have SPDIF outputs? I would just use it for the mean time.

Yes I would just use the HTPC for playback of the movie files. Media player classic Home cinema and the Halli splitter should be all you need. I downloaded Sharks007 codec packs 32 and 64 bit. This allowed my Media center to play MKV files. The Media Browser plug in for the Media center is fantastic as a user interface!

Do you mean to stream content with the codecs already processed by the main HTPC? Or for playing from the HTPC directly? I've read there are ways to process the video before sending it over the network to other extended devices that do not have the ability to decode the files. I haven't tried it though.

I added a BD Rom drive to my HTPC. It's certainly the cheapest and most cost effective way to go IMO. That's unless the Netflix / Bluray player is for another room. I don't see where it would be useful.

The good thing about a BD Rom is , when it fails..you can just pop it out and stick another one in. Can't do that with a standalone unit.

Lyndon

« Reply #41 on: 31 Oct 2009, 05:46 pm »
Yes, the BD Rom is sweet, but for ease of use...and if I want to downstream Netflix, which is why most people are buying it today, as the next stand alone unit with that option is about $50 more.  If it was wireless, that would swing me over, as I don't like the idea of 30 feet of ethernet wire going from my computer room to the living room. :(

GDH said:
I use a receiver that has just SPDIF input for sound. I don't get the uncompressed sound
If you have not heard the uncompressed Dolby or my favorite, DTS, it is very impressive!
There have been some good Pioneer sales, but like I said, I want that phono option as well!  And only Denon is offering it in their lower middle tier receivers.

GHM

« Reply #42 on: 31 Oct 2009, 06:06 pm »
Yes, the BD Rom is sweet, but for ease of use...and if I want to downstream Netflix, which is why most people are buying it today, as the next stand alone unit with that option is about $50 more.  If it was wireless, that would swing me over, as I don't like the idea of 30 feet of ethernet wire going from my computer room to the living room. :(

GDH said:
I use a receiver that has just SPDIF input for sound. I don't get the uncompressed sound
If you have not heard the uncompressed Dolby or my favorite, DTS, it is very impressive!
There have been some good Pioneer sales, but like I said, I want that phono option as well!  And only Denon is offering it in their lower middle tier receivers.

I agree the uncompressed audio is AWESOME!! I would drive my neighbors nuts if a used it. :lol:
Yup, I understand what you mean about the wireless thing. One of these days when I move back into a house. I want it wired with Ethernet ports all through it. Wireless is convenient, but not as reliable or fast as old fashioned Ethernet. With all the new streaming media being released now. Wired Ethernet will be a must in the future.

Lyndon

« Reply #43 on: 31 Oct 2009, 06:17 pm »
GHM said:
Wireless is convenient, but not as reliable or fast as old fashioned Ethernet. With all the new streaming media being released now. Wired Ethernet will be a must in the future.

In total agreement.
I should post this in the culinary circle, but am ready to make a simple French peasant dish, but takes a lot of prep out here in the Utah outback.
1. Long Island Cheese Pumpkin
2. Lots and Lots of creme fraische
3. Fresh nutmeg
4. Gruyere cheese
5. Dried, crusty bread.
Layer the insides of the pumpkin, cover in foil, or use tight seal dutch oven, and voila!
One great autumn dish.
P.S. Do not get any of this stuff near your stereo or computer system! :D

GHM

« Reply #44 on: 31 Oct 2009, 06:34 pm »
GHM said:
Wireless is convenient, but not as reliable or fast as old fashioned Ethernet. With all the new streaming media being released now. Wired Ethernet will be a must in the future.

In total agreement.
I should post this in the culinary circle, but am ready to make a simple French peasant dish, but takes a lot of prep out here in the Utah outback.
1. Long Island Cheese Pumpkin
2. Lots and Lots of creme fraische
3. Fresh nutmeg
4. Gruyere cheese
5. Dried, crusty bread.
Layer the insides of the pumpkin, cover in foil, or use tight seal dutch oven, and voila!
One great autumn dish.
P.S. Do not get any of this stuff near your stereo or computer system! :D

Lyndon you're making me hungry!! :drool:

Woodsea

« Reply #45 on: 31 Oct 2009, 09:25 pm »
Onkyo has Phono out as well.  Their current line-up with the 807 and up are looking pretty sweet.  I am leaning toward the 1007 along side a HTPC.

Lyndon

« Reply #46 on: 31 Oct 2009, 09:37 pm »
I hear you, Woodsea,
But I'm not a big Onkyo fan.  If Pioneer had the phono, I would be leaning their way, as I like their approach to the surround sound setup with the MACC.
Also, a lot of people over at AVS Forum and other HT places complain about the excessive amount of heat
generated by the Onkyo receivers.  It is a mystery to me why Panasonic basically gave up the ghost on A/V receivers, after their XR models with T.I./TriPath based chips were discontinued.
I'm keeping my eyes peeled for some Black Friday/Thanksgiving specials.
Lyndon

GHM

ctviggen

« Reply #48 on: 1 Dec 2009, 08:11 pm »
Say hello to the Mac Minis new competition! :o This is called the Dell Zino HD released in Ireland. This unit from the specs would make a terrific HTPC or music server! :thumb:

http://ireland.dell.com/content/products/superview.aspx?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs&xdb=Z2xvYmFsOnByb2R1Y3RzOmluc3BuZHQ6Zmxhc2g6aW5zcGlyb24temluby1oZCNyZWdpb24=

http://ireland.dell.com/ie/en/home/Desktops/inspiron-zino-hd/pd.aspx?refid=inspiron-zino-hd&s=dhs&cid=InspnZinoHD&cs=iedhs1&dgc=IR&lid=DHP_TB3

Just bought one of these.  Nice, low power, fast, small.  It's even cute!  I'll let everyone know what I think when it arrives and I have some time to play with it.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #49 on: 1 Dec 2009, 10:17 pm »
Say hello to the Mac Minis new competition! :o This is called the Dell Zino HD released in Ireland. This unit from the specs would make a terrific HTPC or music server! :thumb:

http://ireland.dell.com/content/products/superview.aspx?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs&xdb=Z2xvYmFsOnByb2R1Y3RzOmluc3BuZHQ6Zmxhc2g6aW5zcGlyb24temluby1oZCNyZWdpb24=

http://ireland.dell.com/ie/en/home/Desktops/inspiron-zino-hd/pd.aspx?refid=inspiron-zino-hd&s=dhs&cid=InspnZinoHD&cs=iedhs1&dgc=IR&lid=DHP_TB3

GHM,

What makes this a good choice?

I thought when I first glanced at the specs, that it looked under powered and maybe not the best choice for HT or even as a music server.

Thanks for your help.

George

ctviggen

« Reply #51 on: 1 Dec 2009, 10:47 pm »
Also, you can get 20% off using Bing Cashback and there was a deal on the computer.  Using this, I got a relatively loaded version for around $470 -- Win 7, bluray, 4GB, video card with 512mb, etc.  Only a 330GB hard drive, though.  Oh yeah, the wireless keyboard and mouse was $475.  It also burns little power. 

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #52 on: 1 Dec 2009, 10:48 pm »
George,

Check out this huge discussion:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1170527

First, check out this review:

http://blogs.amd.com/home/2009/11/30/it-came-it-saw-it-command-conquered-an-update-on-the-dell-inspiron-zino-hd/

Thanks Bob.

Hope you like the unit and scored it at a great price during the recent sales.

George

GHM

« Reply #53 on: 1 Dec 2009, 11:25 pm »
Bob beat me too it. I was about to suggest the same thread! :wink:
Looks like a winner from what I've read. After using a HTPC for the last few years..I couldn't live without one.
Just so much versatility when compared to multi box solutions. That Bing cash back is the ticket! :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #54 on: 1 Dec 2009, 11:29 pm »
Also, you can get 20% off using Bing Cashback and there was a deal on the computer.  Using this, I got a relatively loaded version for around $470 -- Win 7, bluray, 4GB, video card with 512mb, etc.  Only a 330GB hard drive, though.  Oh yeah, the wireless keyboard and mouse was $475.  It also burns little power.

You got a good deal Bob.   :thumb:

Even using 20% off via Bing!, best price I can get is around $530 before shipping and tax.

George

ctviggen

« Reply #55 on: 2 Dec 2009, 01:20 pm »
Darn!  The code "ddpduz2" no longer works.  I was hoping that this would work.  When I was buying, I compared two computers, one with the code and one without the code.  The price difference was shocking, around $190 for the exact same specs.  Then, I also got the Bing 20% discount. 

Without these, I'm not sure I would buy the computer.  I'd wait until more tests are done to see what processor, video card, and memory upgrades are needed for what you want to do with the computer.  The tests that are being done indicate the dual core might be needed, but no one has a single core to test.  I was fortunate enough to be able to get a fully loaded version for a relatively good price (cheaper than what I could build myself).  If I had to pay full price, it would be near $700, which means that I wouldn't have purchased it.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #56 on: 2 Dec 2009, 06:06 pm »
If you can wait it out you should see a good price come back again (see the Black Friday topic re the TV). I have bought several items from Dell this past year, they change their deals all the time. One thing is certain, prices will continue to drop over time. When Windows 7 came out, there were no refurbished PCs int he Dell Outlet store with Win 7, now a month later there are lots...This PC will even show up on the outlet store pretty soon I'll bet, probably a fully loaded one, too.

jermmd

« Reply #57 on: 4 Dec 2009, 01:30 pm »

Even using 20% off via Bing!, best price I can get is around $530 before shipping and tax.

George

Dell Deal of the Day Zino HD for $379. I'm thinking about it.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #58 on: 4 Dec 2009, 02:36 pm »

George

Dell Deal of the Day Zino HD for $379. I'm thinking about it.

Pretty decent deal stock as configured, but if you want to add what I think are some essentials (Bluray, wireless, more memory and storage), you are looking at almost $700.   :(

George

ctviggen

« Reply #59 on: 4 Dec 2009, 02:41 pm »
The cost definitely depends on what you want to do with it.  I'm thinking of buying another one, basically the most stripped version, as a home PC to use for email, etc.  If you're using it as a pass through, and don't need Bluray, etc., then you can buy a cheaper model.  It's nice and low power, with a small fan.  On the other hand, if you'll be storing data on it, playing Bluray, etc., then it does get expensive quickly.  I got lucky when I ordered mine and got a great deal (even about $100 better than others who ordered the day after I ordered mine).