Anyone else stumbled into a Home theater PC?

GHM

Re: Anyone else stumbled into a Home theater PC?
« Reply #20 on: 19 Oct 2009, 02:33 am »
I got Vista Ultimate as I needed the ability to login to a domain.  And having supported myself for many years as a Microsoft IT networker, I was curious about the other features, including Backup and Encryption modules.

I'll have to read the current literature, but at last read, I could not upgrade "down" to a Home Premium level from Ultimate.  It had to be Ultimate to Ultimate.  At the time (this was months ago), they wanted $249 for the upgrade.

Steve

I believe you are correct. I remember reading this as well about the upgrade. I don't think Home gives you that feature of domain login. Though I could be wrong. Regardless if you haven't tried Win 7, you're in for a treat! This OS will put MS back on the map.

srb

« Reply #21 on: 19 Oct 2009, 02:44 am »
I don't think Home gives you that feature of domain login.

That is correct.

When I bought Vista, it wasn't because I thought the OS would be better than (tried and true) XP, it was because I knew the Media Center part of it was definitely better.

Steve

GHM

« Reply #22 on: 19 Oct 2009, 03:06 am »

That is correct.

When I bought Vista, it wasn't because I thought the OS would be better than (tried and true) XP, it was because I knew the Media Center part of it was definitely better.

Steve

Be reassured when you make the jump to Win7 it will be worth it. I have Vista here. I tried using it with Win7 dual booting to get a feel for the differences. It is a major improvement over Vista. I kept Vista on the machine for one day before I deleted it from the hard drive after living with Win7.You'll be pleased when you decide to make the switch.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #23 on: 19 Oct 2009, 03:27 am »
So are you saying there is a solution that is better than a one way cable card for an HTPC? What is that?

I am saying that the cable box or DVR that the cable company supplies is usually a bi-directional device alowing you to transmit data to the cable company, and Pay-Per-View and Interactive Guides are examples of bi-directional services.  In many markets, bi-directional cable cards are not available, and you won't be able to use those outbound data-driven services when using a non bi-directional cable card.

All cable companies are required by law to support CableCard access

But not necessarily bi-directional cable card access.

Umm...I think you should say that Sony does not want Apple nor Microsoft to play Blue Rays without paying licensing that neither one has chosen to pay?

And that's fair.  But if the manufacturer of my stand-alone $150 Blu-Ray player has paid the licensing fees (and the software is a small portion of the stand-alone hardware player), then Microsoft should surely have paid the licensing to include it their Media Center enabled software OS, which retails from $200 to $400, depending on the edition.

Blu-Ray is becoming quite mainstream and it should be a Media Center inclusion.  I think it's greed and maxium profits driving Microsoft.  $400 for Windows 7 Ultimate (or whatever they're calling it)?  Give me a break.

The other problem is that Apple, outside of their Apple TV device, has chosen not to pursue the Media Center arena.  Sure you could build an Apple Media Center, but you would be assembling various pieces of 3rd party software, and it wouldn't really work together.  And that's too bad, because if Apple saw a market for themselves with a Media Center, I think they would have an even better one than Microsoft.

Just my opinion.

Steve

Yes, Pay-per-view does require bi-directional cards. Cable companies have fought consumer use of CableCards tooth-and-nail, even though they have been mandated for years. THe first step was that CableCards is what is inside all set top boxes now. So bi-directional cards have been a long time coming. But, do you really want pay-per-view if you have an HTPC? I'll bet those that want a wrestling special, or girls gone wild for $59.99 are about .001% of HTPC enthusiasts.

You get DVR guide data for free without a CableCard. What is an 'Interactive Guide'?

The market in the US is not consistent, with some systems moving to an SDV architecture. If you read the article I reference months ago, you will know that there is another piece that you would need SDV networks - a tuning adapter. But the FCC has theoretically been trying to make it a level playing field where consumers can have some kind of HTPC that consumes the providers signals. Will they succeed in the end?

From Wikipedia:
''The CableCARD 2.0 specification includes support for #1-4, interactive two-way communications; however it is unknown exactly when CableCARD 2.0 hosts and compatible servers will become available. Some analysts predict that wide availability of tru2way will not be seen until late 2010."

So this whole concept stinks, but the alternative seems to be to spend some big bucks in the mean time.

I'm not sure if there is one definition of an HTPC. Does it merely replace a TIVO or a cable company's Set top box? One approach that works well with Windows and the XBox 360 does not have an "HTPC" sitting next to the TV like a Tivo. It uses Windows Media Center to record and stream to the XBox 360. Obviously not for those without a 360 and/or Windows Media Center edition (Home Premium for Vista and 7).

I am thinking that if I wanted DVR features, instead of pursuing an HTPC dream (I have experimented in the past) I would be "forced" to go with the cable company's HD cable box just for cost and convenience. I am not quite there yet, since I haven't purchased that 50-60" plasma or LCD yet. But I do keep hope alive that I could somehow have a decent HTPC in the future, and avoid the cable company's aggravations and fees.

Actually I checked, and there is now an Apple DVD Player applet that is installed as a part of the OS if there is a DVD player attached at the time of OS installation. However it enforces region codes and will not do screen captures.

On the Windows side, you get DVD player software when you buy a DVD player, or it comes with your PC if it is OEM, like a Dell or HP. But it is not a part of the OS. Same difference.

If you buy a Blu-Ray player for use With Apple Mac or a PC, I think you would get Blu-Ray player software as part of the deal. That's the way it is in the PC (including Mac) industry right now. It's is not just Microsoft or Apple's "greed". There is a lot more to it, as in the DVD/Blu-Ray manufacturing and content industry. Remember Sony has driven the HDCP requirement - look what it has affected - new video cards with HDCP support, monitors with HDCP support, HDMI cables. That has nothing to do with Microsoft (or Apple).

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 19 Oct 2009, 03:36 am »

That is correct.

Steve

Be reassured when you make the jump to Win7 it will be worth it. I have Vista here. I tried using it with Win7 dual booting to get a feel for the differences. It is a major improvement over Vista. I kept Vista on the machine for one day before I deleted it from the hard drive after living with Win7.You'll be pleased when you decide to make the switch.

Yeah Windows 7 is the real deal for just about everything you want improvements in. I am gradually getting a workstation set up for my photo and video workflows, and will put it on a couple other machines as well. Who knows maybe I will have an analog cable HTPC after all for a while   8)

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 19 Oct 2009, 03:41 am »
I think I know what an interactive guide is, now that I think about it - you select the program and the channel appears on your screen? Also you can program the show to record?

How can you do this with an HTPC though? Or maybe the question should be, why could you not do this with a CableCard?

srb

« Reply #26 on: 19 Oct 2009, 04:49 am »
I think I know what an interactive guide is, now that I think about it - you select the program and the channel appears on your screen? Also you can program the show to record?

How can you do this with an HTPC though? Or maybe the question should be, why could you not do this with a CableCard?

Obviously you do not need the Interactive Program Guide to set up your recordings, as you can do that through Media Center.  But not being able to access the Interactive Program Guide through the Cable Card will deny you access to Pay Per View, On Demand and Parental Control.

Some or all of these features are important to some households.

What I found interesting though, is on multiple occasions when there was an apparent last minute change in programming, my dowloaded guide through Media Center did not show the programming change (even though I forced a manual "Get Latest Guide Listings"), but my friend's Interactive Program Guide through his cable box listed what was actually being shown.  So it's apparently more of a real-time guide.

I just think it's unfortunate that you can't have all of the same features through the Cable Card.  And from what I've heard, what does work through the Cable Card often doesn't work.  In other words, the present Cable Card system is quite buggy compared to a Set Top Box.

So the only solution for now is to use a STB with an IR repeater to be able to change the cable channel through Media Center.  Just not as elegant.

Steve

GHM

« Reply #27 on: 19 Oct 2009, 05:48 am »
The Ceton Multi-Channel Cable TV Card looks to be a BEAST!!  :o
From the press release this thing is capable of streaming or recording up to six HD channels at once using your Media center.
http://www.cetoncorp.com/ProductsVista.php
http://www.cetoncorp.com/ProductsWMCFAQ.php

I'm curious to how much one of these will cost. I'm sure it won't be cheap though. The first quarter of 2010 is the estimated release time.

srb

« Reply #28 on: 19 Oct 2009, 06:53 am »
If it sounds too good to be true.......you can't afford it!

Very interesting.

Steve

ctviggen

« Reply #29 on: 19 Oct 2009, 11:40 am »
You can get the Microsoft family pack for $150.00. This allows you to upgrade 3 PCs. Not the Ultimate, but having tried both the Home Premium will do what most people want anyway. That's not a bad deal at all.

Where is this?  Oops -- found it.  It starts Oct. 22nd "until supplies last".

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/07/31/windows-anytime-upgrade-and-family-pack-pricing.aspx

ctviggen

« Reply #30 on: 19 Oct 2009, 11:45 am »

And what about a CableCard?

I don't know about Windows 7, but in Windows Vista, the only version that will work with cable cards is a special version sold only to HTPC integrators like Dell and Niveus.  Again, have to wait and see if it's any different with Windows 7.

According to the link posted above:

"The newly relaxed restrictions mean that users can now install tuners themselves, but "piracy paranoia" hasn't disappeared completely. Microsoft says it will offer a "new tool" that "assesses the PC's ability to support the solution." In other words, the protected path certification process isn't so much going away as moving into software. Still, it's a step forward for those looking to add a CableCARD device to an existing machine."

This is important for me, as I have too many trees to go satellite, and I can't convince the wife to go without cable.  I do think cable costs are outrageous, as we're paying over $70/month for "basic extended", which isn't much.  And, they're charging me $10/month to rent a crappy HDTV tuner.   On the other hand, I can't see dropping cable because the quality is better than what one sees on a computer version, especially blown up to 92 inches.

With this computer system and a cable card, I wouldn't have to buy Tivo and would have a great HDTV system. 

Lyndon

« Reply #31 on: 19 Oct 2009, 01:44 pm »
Guys,
What about XP Media Center?  A friend more knowledgeable than I said that it is being heavily discounted ($100)
to clear it out for Windows 7 Media Center, and that it would serve me well for my HTPC project.  I was planning on going with Ubuntu and then subscribe to Mythbuntu for my Tivo-like programming.
But it all has to be running all the time, which I don't like.  That is why it appears a lot of guys building new ones are going with those Intel Atom processors or the Ion processor, and small units with big hard drives. Also, there is XBMC software as well.  Leaves me in a fog... :?
Lyndon

GHM

« Reply #32 on: 19 Oct 2009, 03:08 pm »
Where is this?  Oops -- found it.  It starts Oct. 22nd "until supplies last".
Here you go just scroll down a bit http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=windows+7+family+pack&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3668019951&ref=pd_sl_28fm136ndi_b

Guys,
What about XP Media Center?  A friend more knowledgeable than I said that it is being heavily discounted ($100)
to clear it out for Windows 7 Media Center, and that it would serve me well for my HTPC project.  I was planning on going with Ubuntu and then subscribe to Mythbuntu for my Tivo-like programming.
But it all has to be running all the time, which I don't like.  That is why it appears a lot of guys building new ones are going with those Intel Atom processors or the Ion processor, and small units with big hard drives. Also, there is XBMC software as well.  Leaves me in a fog... :?
Lyndon

Well Lyndon if XP is $100 and Windows 7 Home is $119, I would without hesitation go with the Win7 Home.
There's so much more there in expandability and the ease of use. The difference between the two is like comparing Windows 98 to XP. Totally two different programs for sure.

There's Windows Home server software, it should support Win7 media center with the release of the service pack 3. You can get it for $92.00 from Newegg.com . Not sure if that is something you're looking for or not.

jermmd

« Reply #33 on: 19 Oct 2009, 03:36 pm »
I've had a HTPC integrated into my system for many years but I recently bought the WD HDLive media streamer for my basement system and it's pretty great. It puts out 1080p via HDMI, it connected to my media server without a hitch, it plays HULU and Youtube over the TV, it's quick and intuitive so people not familiar with it can use it after a minutes explanation.

As for HTPC's, I can recommend Windows7 as well. It was the easiest OS I've ever loaded and it's been very stable. Windows Media Center works great. I have the HD Homerun plugged into my network for dual HD tuner work. I can watch HD content on any computer in my house with all the Media Center DVR functions.

GHM

« Reply #34 on: 28 Oct 2009, 01:35 am »
I've had a HTPC integrated into my system for many years but I recently bought the WD HDLive media streamer for my basement system and it's pretty great. It puts out 1080p via HDMI, it connected to my media server without a hitch, it plays HULU and Youtube over the TV, it's quick and intuitive so people not familiar with it can use it after a minutes explanation.

As for HTPC's, I can recommend Windows7 as well. It was the easiest OS I've ever loaded and it's been very stable. Windows Media Center works great. I have the HD Homerun plugged into my network for dual HD tuner work. I can watch HD content on any computer in my house with all the Media Center DVR functions.

I didn't realize the WD did Hulu. I've turned into a real Hulu fan lately. I use to go weeks without watching TV. Hulu allows me to watch shows I would normally miss being at work..very cool! A couple of these units could do me some good in my bedrooms.

Just purchased my first Projector! I plan on using it with my HTPC as well. I hope to have it rigged up and running tomorrow. Looking forward to playing with Windows 7 Media center on a big screen! aa

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #35 on: 31 Oct 2009, 03:07 pm »
What kind of PJ and screen did you get?

Bob

ctviggen

« Reply #36 on: 31 Oct 2009, 04:32 pm »

Joe,

I just saw a discussion of the WD HD live, and it's not too expensive. 

Anyone know how to integrate this with cable?  If that HD Homerun had cablecards, that would be a great solution.  Are the cablecards for home computers out yet?

GHM

« Reply #37 on: 31 Oct 2009, 04:43 pm »
What kind of PJ and screen did you get?

Bob

Hi Bob,

After reading the reviews , I decided to start out with an Optoma HD65 720P pj. I purchased a manual pull down screen (Focuspix) 1.0 gain  100 inch. I saw a 120 inch for nearly the same price after I had received the 100 inch(made me want to SCREAM!!!). Since I stay in a loft apartment and don't have a dedicated HT room. I needed some flexibility.

To say I'm impressed is an understatement!!! I should have bought a projector a long time ago! I did the whole setup for under $800..can't beat that with a stick! :D It smokes both my LCD and Plasma in over all tonal color balance and depth. And cost much less than either.

jermmd

« Reply #38 on: 31 Oct 2009, 05:11 pm »
Joe,

I just saw a discussion of the WD HD live, and it's not too expensive. 

Anyone know how to integrate this with cable?  If that HD Homerun had cablecards, that would be a great solution.  Are the cablecards for home computers out yet?

The media streamer won't stream regular cable but many channels are available through the internet. I use a program called playon to stream Internet content to the WD HD live. It works great. I use HD homerun to stream digital cable content to my computers, one of which I use with my big screen as a HTPC. The WD HD live is a $100 HTPC alternative for a secondary system in my home. I don't need to use cable on my WD HD Live because the cable is connected directly to my TV.

Lyndon

« Reply #39 on: 31 Oct 2009, 05:12 pm »
Interesting on the PJ, GHM.
I'm still on the fence with the Windows7 package.  As an educator, I should be getting a discount package, but
the replies from the company contracted to my school district have been vague at most.  All I asked him was what would be the cost of the complete 7 Home Premium package, and all he kept sending me was the Update package price.  I assume that the home premium would have the built in Media Server.
Anyway, I have a new computer, with two 1 T hard drives and a smaller one for the OS, and am thinking that since I am not hooked up to cable, I need to remove my TV card from my desktop, also install the video card
I bought for this with HDMI output, and if I don't get the Windows 7 right away, try the Ubuntu (basically Linux, righ?) and Mythbuntu approach.
I don't have a A/V receiver with HDMI, so...
On that, I am waiting for the Denon model ??? which appears to be the only one that still has a phono.
What a mess? On that WD Live box option, there was a thread that suggested another box, not Popcorn, that was also able to play other codec files, like mkv (h264) high definition files.  But if I have those codecs in my hard drives, wouldn't it play naturally as it does on my desktop? Seems like I would be doubling up.  And to add to that, wouldn't it be better to just buy a blu ray player (LG) from N*wegg for $80 for the HTPC, rather than a stand alone player?  B*st B*y is selling their re-badged LG player with Netflix downstreaming for $99 today.  Sure looks like an option to me... aa
Lyndon