Bryston amp for B&W 803d or 802d?

toronto416

Bryston amp for B&W 803d or 802d?
« on: 18 Oct 2009, 04:52 pm »
After too many years, I plan to replace my 2 channel stereo system.  I have a huge collection of classical and jazz cds in my 14x20 foot library (and no TV!).

As I would like to support Canadian audio manufacturers that are well represented in the Toronto market, Bryston electronics are on my short list (as are Classe and Simaudio/Moon, though Simaudio is only carried by one dealer in the GTA).

I have been very impressed with the the sound of B&W 803d speakers driven by Bryston electonics (4B SST amp, BP-26 pre-amp, and BCD-1 CD player).  I could certainly live happily with such a system.

I would also consider the B&W 802d speakers (and their apparently even more exceptional midrange), but with a bigger amp like the 14B SST (rather than 7B monoblocks given that I only have one 2 pronged plug for the entire system).

Am I correct in assumining that the 4B is a good match for the 803d, and the 14B a better match for the 802d?

Thanks for any advice,

Mark

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Re: Bryston amp for B&W 803d or 802d?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2009, 05:14 pm »
Hello toronto416,

Perhaps I can save you some leg work. I recently purchased a complete system this year (JBL 1400 Project Arrays/Bryston 28B-BP26/Esoteric X-05) after over a year of searching audio stores in the GTA. I did audition SimAudio (on Young Street). Give Altronics a call on Bloor street as I found that they were the best stocked store for having Bryston equipment on the self. If you do drop in on them - have a listen the the JBL Project Arrays!

Good luck :D

toronto416

« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2009, 02:56 am »
Thanks Laundrew, I will pay them a visit.  I must say that visiting so called high-end audio stores in the GTA has been an incredibly uneven experience, and not as pleasant as I thought it would be.  It is hard work...

Looks like you have a great system!

Regards,

Mark

1oldguy

« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2009, 04:06 pm »
HI

If your after the 800 series speakers I have a full 5.1 that is for sale.
If your interested let me know.
Thanks

Levi

« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2009, 04:16 pm »
I heard the 802D with 28B connected to a Rouge audio tube preamp.  That is one great sounding combination!

Laundrew

« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2009, 10:04 pm »
Thanks Laundrew, I will pay them a visit.  I must say that visiting so called high-end audio stores in the GTA has been an incredibly uneven experience, and not as pleasant as I thought it would be.  It is hard work...

Regards,

Mark

Thank you, you are also most welcome Mark. Yes, I was very shocked by some of the attitudes I experienced during my visits to a few ?high-end? audio stores. The arrogance exhibited by some of these audio dealers was absolutely most disgusting.

Again, good luck with your quest :D

Be well...

Laundrew

« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2009, 10:10 pm »

Regards,

Mark

Thank you, you are also most welcome Mark. Yes, I was very shocked by some of the attitudes I experienced during my visits to a few "high-end" audio stores. The arrogance exhibited by some of these audio dealers was absolutely most disgusting.

Again, good luck with your quest :D

Be well...

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2009, 01:27 am »

He does.

toronto416

« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2009, 12:31 pm »
Other speakers that I will audition in addition to the B&W 803d are the PMC PB1i, Sonus Faber Cremona M - and out of patriotic duty, the Totem Mani-2 (though I am having trouble finding a dealer in the GTA who is interested in an audition!).  We are limited not only by what we can afford, but also by what dealers can afford to have us demo.

I find it sad that I cannot audition the Totem Mani-2, or Simauidio Moon Evolution P-7, W-7, or W-8 electronics, or compare Classe, Simaudio and Bryston to each other.  The one Totem dealer will not stock the Mani-2 (but cheerfully offered to order me a pair at full list price!).  There is one Classe dealer in Toronto, and they do not carry Bryston or Simaudio.  There is one Simaudio dealer, and they do not carry Classe or Bryston.  You get the picture...

About the only cross-comparison that I can do is to listen to the 803d with Bryston at one dealer, and then listen to the 803d with Classe at another dealer.

I find it hard to believe that in Canada's largest city, Canadian high-end audio components with incredible international reputations are simply not well represented or even stocked by dealers who represent them (Totem Mani-2, Simaudio Moon Evolution series pre-amps & amps, Classe etc...).  Bryston is a notable exception - they actually care about penetrating and supporting the local market, and that certainly will impact consumer buying decisions.  It doesn't matter how many glowing reviews other manufacturers receive in the American and British audio mags, if you can't even see (never mind listen to) their products, you are not going to buy them.

If we consumers are to support our own Canadian audio industry, that industry has to invest in being represened and make the effort to support consumers and our passion for excellence.  Kudos again to Bryston!   

Regards,

Mark

Laundrew

« Reply #9 on: 23 Oct 2009, 08:10 pm »

I find it sad that I cannot audition the Totem Mani-2, or Simauidio Moon Evolution P-7, W-7, or W-8 electronics, or compare Classe, Simaudio and Bryston to each other. 

Regards,

Mark
Hello Mark,

Earlier this year I auditioned a SimAudio P7, W7 and Super Nova CD player at Executive Stereo on Young Street. Other than SimAudio, they seem to big into McIntosh. The B&Ws I assume that you are auditioning are at the dealer on Steeles. I auditioned Bryston and Krell at this Location - they only had a 14B on the rack at the time.

Be well?

srb

« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2009, 08:22 pm »
It's understandable that a dealer can't afford the capital expediture to stock all of the models of a brand.

But when an item is ordered for a customer without a demo, in other words the sale is already a done deal, they ought to be even more willing to offer some discount off of full price.

Steve

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #11 on: 25 Oct 2009, 02:53 am »
I too feel that our own national brands are ignored by the so called 'hi end ' vendors here in Vancouver. PMC is also non existant ! Thanks to one dealer I can atleast get to see and hear Bryston gear.  :shake:

toronto416

« Reply #12 on: 25 Oct 2009, 05:38 pm »
I visited two dealers yesterday with classical, jazz, (and with my son in tow some Beatles) CDs that would challenge any system and bring out its magic as well as its flaws.

At the first dealer I auditioned the B&W 802d and the Sonus Faber Cremona M driven by Classe electronics (CDP-100, CP-500, CA-2200).  I was surprisingly underwhelmed, given that I had previously heard the 803d driven by Bryston electronics at another dealer (BCD-1, BP-26, 4B SST), and found that system wonderfully engaging.  Perhaps the 802d's were being undernourished, but I guess I will be crossing Classe off my list.  There is only one Classe dealer in my city, and I was surprised that he had a CDP-100 on hand, a CD player that was replaced with the CDP-102 about 5 years ago.  I guess he was hoping I would not notice, but also by compromising with the source, I was not hearing the speakers at their best.

The SF Cremona M is an interesting but ultimately flawed speaker.  In some respects it was as good or even better than the 802d, but ultimately was not its match (I had hoped to compare the SF Cremona M to the B&W 803d, which is a closer match than the 802d).  The Cremona M's treble and midrange reproduction was wonderfully clear, articulate and smooth, and its reproduction of the ambience of the recordings superlative, but its base was muddy, unclear and a little boomy.  I have now heard that speaker at 2 different dealers in two different systems and I had that same impression both times.  I am sure that with careful system matching, there is some magic to be had with them, but I will cross them off my list.  When the left hand of the piano sounds much less clear than the right, that is a big problem...

As I mentioned, the 803d driven by Bryston electronics sounded wonderful (as did the PMC PB1i in the same system yesterday).  I will go back to compare both speakers in the same sitting.

Another combination that sounded wonderful was the Spendor S9e driven by SimAudio Moon elctronics (SuperNova CD player, Moon Evolution i-7 integrated amp).  Unfortunately the one SimAudio deaer in my city does not have any Evolution series pre-amps or amps on hand (P-7, W-7, W-8), and they do not carry B&W or Bryston.

How would the 803d sound with SimAudio vs. Bryston electronics?  It is not a comparison that is even possible here in the GTA. 

It would be interesting to be able to compare our great national brands - Bryston, Classe, and Simaudio - in our largest city!

I am quickly learning that looking for a high-end 2 channel system makes me a dinosaur, but the search continues....

Regards,

Mark

adslinkato

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jun 2010, 05:12 pm »
I'm in the same conditions. I had the B&W 803D with a beautiful Bryston 4b-sst. I'm going to buy the B&W 802D. Any idea for the perfect match with Bryston amplifiers? It's enough the power with a single 4b-sst? What about a couple in mono? I real need a couple of 7b-sst? Sorry for my english: I'm italian.  :green:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #14 on: 9 Jun 2010, 06:37 pm »
I would go with the 7Bs...those B&Ws need power!