Comparing "sealed", hollow, insulation tubes to stuffed insulation tubes

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
And thanks Ethan if you read this all your articles and funny videos have helped a lot!

Yeah, especially the "funny" videos. :lol:

--Ethan

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
My project is just postponed due to winter... too cold in the garage to work on them.  But still have a lot of materials waiting.

Although, there is strong possibility I will be moving. So not sure what kind of space I will have to work in.

-Tony

seth411

Glad to hear.   :thumb: 
Hope I'm not high jacking your thread but this seems the best place to post and I'm sure you will do a much more thorough test.

SO here is my 2c worth of test with my $150 bucks of materials and CL.

So I did a number of readings with fuzzmeasure. 
(Also to note I might not be doing my test completely right because I'm new at this.  I just did a "what I think" calibration with the ECM 8000 pointed up.  The mic was about 2/5 from the front of the room facing up towards the 8' ceiling.  I should Point out that it was facing the ceiling right where a 20" deep sky light meets a ATS 2" panel mounted flush making a T)

I saw no difference with two 3' by 15" capped or un-capped tubes in the back of the room and next to and about 20" below the mic.  I didn't get fluffy filling because of spending more cash and the public transportation trip.(sorry no car) To note they also were not mounted mic/speaker high which I think might have made a difference AND they still had their original aluminum covering which I wasn't sure would through the whole test out the window.

I did notice a big difference between my readings with doors open and closed so make sure you close your doors. :icon_lol:

Next I place four quarter rounds that are covered with material and backed with 1/4 wood, around the mic and found an evening out of 5 db around 70hz, 170hz and between 200 and 500hz on my measurements.  It also sounded great.  I put reflective material on two of the quarters.  It sounded somewhat absorbent but not dead like a vocal booth.

In hinds sight I wish I didn't cut up as many 15" rounds and used them more like what ASC designed them for.  I'm trying to make my living room into a tracking room when friends stop by.  Having a room that you can change to meet different situations would have been the best for my needs.