Vintage Tung Sol 6SN7 NOS test measurements

silverlight

Vintage Tung Sol 6SN7 NOS test measurements
« on: 16 Oct 2009, 07:35 pm »
Hey guys - I'm fairly new to the tube world, but my ears are LOVING it!  I have a set in front of me of Tung Sol 6SN7 NOS tubes (black oval plate).  So what I was curious about was what typical measurements would tubes of this vintage have on a tester (or testers).
Any portable-sized relatively comprehensive testers available for sale that anyone knows of that would adequately heat / run voltage through and provide reliable measurements (for testing these and others I'm looking at)?  Have seen some older testers around on the 'net but would need a recommendation.  Short of that, anyone know of a potential dealer or individual that can test tubes in the NY area?

Here's a photo of one of them:

SET Man

Re: Vintage Tung Sol 6SN7 NOS test measurements
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2009, 10:00 pm »
Hey!

Well, welcome to the world of sound in the bottle. :D

Anyway, as for tube testers. They can be pricey especially if you want to only to test one or two type of tubes once in a while. Weather if that is worth it or not is up to you.

But of course could you get by with a little help from your fellow audiophile friends. :D

I'm in Queens, NYC. I do have a Hickok 6000 of which I use primary to check for bad tube before I put them in my system. It can do the 6SN7 also. If you are near by you are welcome to stop by with your tube. Although I don't know when I will have time.

Another NYAR member that might be able to help you is Paul/ltr317... he got couple of tube testers :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2009, 07:42 am »
I think we had a thread on tube testers a little while ago. One of the things to bear in mind is that your typical tube tester is really just a finger in the wind. The measured number is a bit like a THD full-power at 1kHz spec - it tells you something, but by no means everything.

silverlight

« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2009, 02:10 pm »
Thanks both for idea / feedback on testers.  Was doing more research on testers and the only one I suspect would be easy for me to use would be the Amplitrex but as you mentioned Buddy, these (or good quality and well calibrated vintage testers) definitely aren't cheap compared to the volume of tubes I'd be testing.Best rgards,Geoff