Chris Witmer passed

richidoo

Chris Witmer passed
« on: 15 Oct 2009, 06:05 pm »
AC member Chris Witmer died yesterday.

He was the voice of Feastrex in the English world. His colorful enthusiastic descriptions of these exotic Japanese works of art lured many of us to try them, and find a precious new perspective on recorded music.

He was a good friend, we emailed about cabinet designs, Feastrex business, schemes of all kinds.  He was just about to build up some Rhythmik servo subs that he bought a few years ago.

He leaves a wife and seven daughters in Tokyo.

jrebman

Re: Chris Witmer passed
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2009, 06:18 pm »
Rich,

So very sory to hear this.  Chris was a really great guy and one who will certainly be missed.

Sounds like it was quite sudden.

Thanks for letting us know,

Jim

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2009, 06:28 pm »
Sorry to here this...R.I.P.
Chris' Posts......always very helpful...

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2009, 06:30 pm »
Thanks Jim.

He was so into Bach. His daughter sang with the Bach Collegium of Japan, one of the most prestigious chorals in the world. He loved Bach and traditional organ music. I can't help to think he is really getting an earful of the "music of God" right now.

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2009, 06:31 pm »
Thanks Chris. I looked for his name on AC, but I thought it was cwitmer like on his other forums.

jrebman

« Reply #5 on: 15 Oct 2009, 06:41 pm »
Yes, Bach, SETs and SD speakers are some things we had in common.

If I were him I'd be looking for ol' J.S. right now -- just to hang out and visit :D.

-- Jim

doorman

« Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2009, 07:16 pm »
Sad news indeed. Always followed his enthusiastic posts with interest.
He always managed to maintain his cool, and convey his love of music.
Best Wishes to his family.
Don

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2009, 02:48 am »
:(

Struck down in his prime.

My condolences to his family.

dave

Scottmoose

« Reply #8 on: 16 Oct 2009, 09:22 am »
Oh heck. :cry: I'm very sorry to hear that, and my sincere condolences to his family.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 16 Oct 2009, 09:36 am »
 :cry:

Spooky how little we really know about people you meet on the web.  I had no idea of any health issues.  Hopefully the family will ask for help with any audio questions/needs.

This hits a bit close to home as we had to rush Dad (age 85) to hospital yesterday after he apparently had a stroke during an eye appointment.  As of last night the most likely cause was age and a slow pulse rate (no stroke/heart attack).  So I might be away from here for a couple of days will I keep close to him.

DavidS

« Reply #10 on: 17 Oct 2009, 12:52 am »
yes very sad to read this.  Chris and his audio adventures were among my favourites to read about, probably a key reason I sort of have single driver speakers - Zu Druids.  Followed a thread of his on diy involving the festrex drivers faithfully for about 6 months solid - he just kept checking in with updates, wonderful.  Loved his writing at 6 moons and wherever else I could find it. 

Been a rough week for me with young (relatively speaking) guy deaths - have no idea old Chris was but was always thinking 50's.  We all think like 20 year olds that we will live forever or at least live good life til 80's.  Has me once again thinking about what is important at 50 something.   

Chris touched lots of us and will be missed.

JoshK

« Reply #11 on: 17 Oct 2009, 12:58 am »
I read somewhere else he died in a motorcylce accident.  I don't want to spread rumors, but if true that might explain why he died so young.

Tragic either way.

mp9

« Reply #12 on: 20 Oct 2009, 07:45 am »
I have enjoyed reading C.W.'s postings and I would like to express my
condolences to Chris's family, extended family and friends.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #13 on: 20 Oct 2009, 08:23 am »
Thanks, richidoo, I wouldn't have known about Feastrex but for Chris's enthusiasm. A really selfless man and genuine enthusiast - definitely not fair for him to be gone this young.

My deep condolences go to his family, who must be devastated. He must have been a great father and husband.

richidoo

« Reply #14 on: 20 Oct 2009, 01:29 pm »
From his close friend:
"As he was riding his bike on the way to his train station on the way to work, he was hit by a cargo truck on the railway crossing and died almost immediately."

Raiderone

« Reply #15 on: 24 Oct 2009, 04:16 am »
My condolences to his family and friends.  Through Chris' posts I became aware of the Feastrex drivers and even before that with the kabuto-mushi drivers.  Later, he acted as a liason between me and Teramoto-san for the purchase of a pair of Feastrex drivers.  He did this without compensation.  I will miss his posts on single drivers from Japan.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #16 on: 25 Oct 2009, 06:23 pm »
:(