What is your house wine?

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
What is your house wine?
« on: 15 Oct 2009, 04:53 pm »
For me the house wine is reasonably priced wine that is good year in and year out.  Here are mine.

Red:  Pierre Usseglio Chateauneuf du Pape
Fruity White:  Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc
Dry White:  Chateau St. Jean Sonoma Reserve Chardonnay

I always look for deals (and they are out there) and keeps these in stock. :wine: :wine: :wine:

BobM

Re: What is your house wine?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2009, 05:32 pm »
My wife is exclusively a white wine drinker. Reds give her a stuffy nose (allergies to the tannins probably). Over the years she has gone from oaky Chardonnays (naturally oaked, not that fake crap that has become popular) to lighter Pinot Grigios. For the most part I pick up 6 bottles or so of Italian Pinot's that are priced around the $10 mark. Nothing particularly special at that price range to write home about, but once in a while we do come across a bottle of colored water that has absolutely nothing going for it.

I drink most any red, but tend to appreciate those of medium body with a fruity nose. So Cabs at a reasonable price point are usually not on the easy on the wallet list. I've been having lots of luck with a variety of spanish wines these past 2 years. But again, it's usually picking a variety of bottles in the $15 area (I spend more on my wine because I'm the one who's shiopping for it, dammit). I was into Zins and Syrah's before, but they are more of a crap shoot at this price point, although Gnarley Head and Old Vine Zin were both pretty good.

I wish I could be more helpful, but our easy on the wallet wines are usually catch as catch can.

Bob

AK

• twisterspeakers
« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2009, 05:42 pm »
best wines I tried are from France and Spain :wine:
I never came across good wines from other regions, especially ones from California  :shake:

rpf

« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2009, 05:45 pm »
I don't store or drink enough to have a "house wine". What I do serve (and drink) most often, though, is a West Coast Pinot Noir or Burgundy. Besides having lately become my favorite wine, Pinot Noir goes well with most food.

West Coast Pinot Noir quality and production has increased significantly, resulting in excellent values under and around $20. My current fave is the 2007 Paraiso from Monterey County ($20-22): surprisingly complex and Burgundian like (earthy). If you're having a large party, Castle Rock, though very light (maybe that's a good thing for a party), is a bargain at around $10-12.

There are even some good Burgundies for everyday drinking under $20. I bought a case of Brunet Bourgogne Rouge last year for about $130 that was an amazing deal. Another good value, just under $20, is the Chezeaux Bourgogne which has more weight and complexity than the Brunet.

Rob
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2009, 08:00 pm by rpf »

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2009, 06:00 pm »
I never came across good wines from other regions, especially ones from California  :shake:

Those are fighting works, mister.  :duel: 

Ca has tons of great wine except they are overpriced.  Those boutique prices better come down before I buy any Harlans and Araujos of the world.  :nono:

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 15 Oct 2009, 06:04 pm »
For a Red, I like MD20/20

For a White, Thunderbird

:thumb:

You better stock this too. You will need it.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2009, 06:08 pm »
I'll bet Rob started out on Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill wine.... :jester:

Try the Long Island wines.... :wink:

http://www.liwines.com/

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2009, 06:21 pm »
High school.....that was Yago Sangria and Mateus...quiet popular at that time...

Whats the word.....Thunderbird. :lol:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2009, 06:53 pm »
I pretty much just drink red wine and my house wine is a 2006 Ravenswood Vintners Blend Zinfandel.

It is a very robust and flavorful Zinfandel, but lacks the complexity and refinement you get from more expensive Zinfandels.

You can get this for under $10 bottle and even less when buying by the case.

George

BobM

« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2009, 07:22 pm »
I never did the Boons Farm thing. I was a Schmidts drinker though. Anyone remember "No Frills" beer?

But back to wines, when I wanted to impress a girl at one of those wine and cheese places I used to order Zeller Schwartz Katz, with that little black plastic cat around the neck of the bottle. It had a cork, and that was class.

I did try some very nice Gewurztraminer and Reisling from the NY Finger Lakes region. Very nice wines if you like things less dry and a little sweet. Doctor Konstantine Frank's was the best in the region that I tried.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 15 Oct 2009, 07:42 pm »
Rim, a few months ago I was talking to a friend that owns 10 liquor stores in and around my city.

He told me to try a Shiraz made in Australia called Big Red, named after the kangaroo species. After trying a few bottles, I ended up buying 10 cases because he made me a pretty good deal.  He said he was the sole importer of it in the Midwest.  Big Red also has a white, but I don't drink those that much anymore so can't say how it is.

This is it:  http://www.bottlebuys.com/sku610885.html

He seems to be the sole importer in the United States.  You got 10 cases of magnum bottles?  10 x 12 x 1.5L = 180 L = 47.5 gallons of wine.  You better hope it's got good back bone to last a few years.  Or have a big party.  :wink:

rpf

« Reply #11 on: 15 Oct 2009, 07:57 pm »
High school.....that was Yago Sangria and Mateus...quiet popular at that time...

I remember. I think those were the first wines I tried - aside from Gallo "Hearty Burgundy" (actually often drinkable as it was made mostly from Zinfindel which didn't get any respect at the time) at home.

rpf

« Reply #12 on: 15 Oct 2009, 08:03 pm »
I pretty much just drink red wine and my house wine is a 2006 Ravenswood Vintners Blend Zinfandel.

It is a very robust and flavorful Zinfandel, but lacks the complexity and refinement you get from more expensive Zinfandels.

You can get this for under $10 bottle and even less when buying by the case.

George

Agreed: an excellent value.  :wine:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #13 on: 15 Oct 2009, 08:30 pm »
Ravenswood Vintner's blend is always a good value.  I have been buying  the Torres "Sangre de Toro", and everyday spanish grenache.  Well made, consistent, and usually $6.50-7.50.  Of course, I am always on the lookout for bargains  :wine:

chadh

« Reply #14 on: 15 Oct 2009, 09:47 pm »

Charles Shaw Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay...aka two-buck-chuck.  Although, I think it might be three-buck-chuck these days.

Chad

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #15 on: 15 Oct 2009, 10:07 pm »

Charles Shaw Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay...aka two-buck-chuck.  Although, I think it might be three-buck-chuck these days.

Chad

Still two buck in Cali. but three buck in Nevada. We've been buying this one lately: Montpellier Vineyards Pinot Noir.

Len

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #16 on: 15 Oct 2009, 10:13 pm »
I didn't START there, I had to work my way up to them....

Actually, my father worked for a company with a subsidiary in Germany.  He used to get a shipment of 50 cases every other year.  All from the Mosel-Saar-Ruwer region.  I started out stealing a bottle here and a bottle there from the basement cellar.

I used to live in the Mosel area in Germany, that's some great white wine.  Nowadays I visit my in-laws every year, and they are right next to the Alsace region.  That's probably got the best red wine I've ever had, as long as you like it not-so-heavy.  Too bad they make very little of it available outside of their region. 

I've been trying out Colorado wines lately.  Some are real dogs, but others are not too bad.  The western side of the Rockies are very fertile and there's an infant (but growing) wine culture there.

geezer

« Reply #17 on: 15 Oct 2009, 10:22 pm »
On a tip, I tried a Sardinian wine recently: Sella and Mosca's Cannonau di Sardegna. I think this will be my house wine. It's a full-bodied red. If you like a husky wine you might like this. At $12.50 it's a real bargain.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #18 on: 15 Oct 2009, 11:07 pm »
The Mrs. and I almost always have a bottle or two of Liberty School Red in the house.  Pretty tasty stuff!

F-100

« Reply #19 on: 16 Oct 2009, 04:22 am »
My house wine is any red wine that I can find at Costco or Trader's Joe for under $20.  aa