FS: Fisher 500B - restored and improved SOLD

denverartist

FS: Fisher 500B - restored and improved SOLD
« on: 15 Oct 2009, 03:52 pm »

Incredible in every way.  Fisher 500B with excellent 7591A and preamp tubes. Amplifier, preamp, tube phono and tube FM all rolled into one.  4 gang Sansui tuner installed by Mr Kim. All functions work as they should. FM is unbelieveable. This unit retailed around $1250.

Nice wood case, shown below. Only selling because of the weight, and some life changes.
SOLD

thanks for looking.
-Pete

(CO)

« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2009, 08:04 pm by denverartist »

mgalusha

Really nice Pete. Kinda wish I had a place for something like that. Someone will get a really nice piece.

denverartist

Thanks, Mike. Unfortunately having to sell some of my best stuff.

Pete

orthobiz

I still have a 1963 Fisher catalog that I read and reread as a kid. All my dad could afford was a Fisher stereo/mono switching box. That 500B brings back memories. Good luck with your sale!

Paul

denverartist

I have more pictures but I do not have documents from Sam Kim AudioLabs.

« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2009, 08:19 pm by denverartist »

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Unbelievably nice!  :drool:

I'm well acquainted with these and can attest to their superb quality. It looks like the tuning capacitor assembly has been updated/replaced. The vintage 7591's ought to sweeten the deal.

denverartist

price change

starkiller

hmm, hmmm...any idea on power output?

denverartist

that's easy - 35 watts/chan.   typical for 7591 tubes.

Now SOLD

P
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2009, 08:05 pm by denverartist »

djbnh

Nice looking unit, best of luck with your sale. Knobs have all the brass buttons, chassis is in good shape, etc.

Some years ago my dad gave me his minty Fisher 800B receiver with all its manuals, and it still provides enjoyment. FYI - I note your case is in prime condition - who makes it (my dad used the 800B in a built-in configuration, so it's sans case)?

lalla

Re: FS: Fisher 500B - restored and improved SOLD
« Reply #10 on: 16 Dec 2009, 12:27 am »
I bought it

Hi all,

New to the forum. I think this is my second post - my first extolling the virtues of Dual TTs and the work of Bill Neumann of FixMyDual.com.

I too called our Canadian friends about this Fisher. I realized what was being offered and was lucky enough to be offloading a Cary SLI-80 that sold this morning after ten minutes on Agon - just way too bright - regardless of tubes and I tried them all - and forward to drive my Cornwalls with any real grace.

I can hardly wait for the Fisher to arrive. We'll see how it does with Nancy Wilson et al - I suspect smooth as silk. I won't be able to do any side by side comparisons between the Cary and Fisher as I've already started preparing the Cary for shipment and I don't want to risk even the slightest possibility of mishap with an amp I no longer own. But, I will gladly post my impressions - especially as they relate to the phono section and the mating with the Cornwalls.

So, there, take that high rollers. I, knowingly, without the least financial need traded a Cary for a vintage Fisher RECEIVER - well, and a fist full of cash. Hmm, I think several trips to my favorite record stores are in order Merry Christmas!!

Cheers,

Lalla

TrungT

« Reply #11 on: 16 Dec 2009, 01:28 am »
Lalla
Welcome to AC.
You will be happy with your Fisher and Cornwalls will be sounding great, very warm sound.
Please keep us posted.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #12 on: 16 Dec 2009, 01:32 am »
Welcome aboard, Lalla.  I have an integrated amp that I built using the iron from a Fisher 500 that I am very happy with.   Your unit should do a fine job matched with those Cornwalls. 

nodiak

« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2009, 06:34 am »
Glad to see this sell. I couldn't come up with the money myself, try as I might. I talked to Steve at Sam's and realized what a nice receiver it is, so put up an ad in SF Craigslist and at Audiokarma in effort to help get it to an appreciative new owner. Not sure if that helped but it was here too long. Congratulations Lalla!
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2009, 03:34 pm by nodiak »

lalla

« Reply #14 on: 19 Dec 2009, 12:20 am »
Thanks all for the welcome,

Indeed, the Fisher is quite beautiful, in both physical and sonic terms. After some half-dozen amps, this old workhorse serves as an improvement over those costing five times the price - no exaggeration. The match with my Cornwalls is wonderfully balanced.

While I would certainly not refer to the Fisher as warm, at least with its current tube compliment, I would say that it is quite capable of controlling the bottom end while also producing a sense of air and delicacy - all within a wide if not particularly deep soundstage. I realize the present limitations are likely due to the New Issue "Mullards" in the preamp section, which I will be looking to resolve after the Christmas spending settles down. I'll be looking for something with a bit more depth with a slightly rolled-off top end.

Thanks Pete for a great deal and a smooth transaction.

Lalla

nodiak

« Reply #15 on: 21 Dec 2009, 05:29 am »
If you come back this way would be good to hear more about it. Maybe a post about the 500B in the Vintage or Tube-o-phile forum here. Interested in your thoughts on the tuner. I imagine it's good fortune to have something Sam's worked on. Enjoy the tube searches.
Take care, Don