A couple of products

Big Red Machine

Re: A couple of products
« Reply #20 on: 15 Oct 2009, 11:56 am »
uh, that twist is the wrong direction.  I believe a ccw rope twist gives better bass response. :peek:

TjMV3

« Reply #21 on: 15 Oct 2009, 12:12 pm »
Wayner,
If color is what you want, have you looked at belden speaker cable? I just got a box of 16ga purple and I know they make it in orange and other colors too. It's about double the price of a normal box of 16/2 speaker cable but it is rated for indoor/outdoor use and direct burial. Made in the USA and has a 10 year warranty.  :drool:

moboman,   would you mind telling me where you bought that Belden speaker cable,  with the optional colors?

I moved into a bigger house and I need some speaker wire,  to make some longer runs.

Thank you.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #22 on: 15 Oct 2009, 12:46 pm »

moboman,   would you mind telling me where you bought that Belden speaker cable,  with the optional colors?

I moved into a bigger house and I need some speaker wire,  to make some longer runs.

Thank you.

TjMV3:

I don't know about purple or orange-jacketed wire, but BSW has good prices on bulk Belden wire and cable.  Here is a link to a 50 foot roll of 12 AWG grey-jacketed 5000UE for 19.26.

http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=5000UE-50

Rocket

« Reply #23 on: 15 Oct 2009, 01:25 pm »
Hi,

A friend gave me a ERS sheet to try on top of my preamplifier.  I couldnt' hear any difference with the sheet on or off the top of the preamp.  Perhaps my hearing isn't good enough :roll:.

Regards

Rod

TjMV3

« Reply #24 on: 15 Oct 2009, 01:32 pm »
I don't know about purple or orange-jacketed wire, but BSW has good prices on bulk Belden wire and cable.  Here is a link to a 50 foot roll of 12 AWG grey-jacketed 5000UE for 19.26.

Thank you,  oneinthepipe

If I don't hear back from moboman,  I'll go there.  But I really would like the color option,  because we got creative  :green: with some of the color schemes and the purple or orange would fit nicely with what we did,  here. 

srb

« Reply #25 on: 15 Oct 2009, 02:08 pm »
uh, that twist is the wrong direction.  I believe a ccw rope twist gives better bass response.

Still, it's a fine cable, and once all the minor design details are finalized, in order to insure maximum audiophile acceptance, it needs to be threaded through a smooth faceted block of laser engraved select rare hardwood species at each end (that no one will ever see).

Steve

moboman

« Reply #26 on: 15 Oct 2009, 03:51 pm »

Thank you,  oneinthepipe

If I don't hear back from moboman,  I'll go there.  But I really would like the color option,  because we got creative  :green: with some of the color schemes and the purple or orange would fit nicely with what we did,  here.

I like the color too, and I'm not even running it through walls.  I think the color helps give my stereo better clarity and definition, it isnt plain and boring like grey, brown, or white cable  :lol:

Wayner

« Reply #27 on: 15 Oct 2009, 03:53 pm »
So, Steve, that would add more cost without any audible improvement.....perfect!

W

Wayner

« Reply #28 on: 15 Oct 2009, 03:55 pm »
And now, what kind of speaker cable maker would AVA be without cable elevators? The product line is growing!

Wayner  8)

chadh

« Reply #29 on: 15 Oct 2009, 04:14 pm »

As the product line grows, your only real disappointment will stem from the fact that the "Ophiopogon" product name has already been taken and, I presume, trademarked.  "Ophiopogon" is practically a license to print money.

Chad

srb

« Reply #30 on: 15 Oct 2009, 04:25 pm »
As the product line grows, your only real disappointment will stem from the fact that the "Ophiopogon" product name has already been taken and, I presume, trademarked.  "Ophiopogon" is practically a license to print money.

Well, rev up the printing presses and start printing that money!

I don't think you can trademark or tradename a plant genus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiopogon

".....Ophiopogon is a genus of herbaceous perennial plants in the family Ruscaceae, formerly classified with the Liliaceae....."

Steve

srb

« Reply #31 on: 15 Oct 2009, 05:41 pm »
And now, what kind of speaker cable maker would AVA be without cable elevators? The product line is growing!

You got me thinking about cable "elevators".

A truly high-end product, the AVA Super-Ultra Cable Elevator System would be a remote-controlled servo-motored set of elevators, with, by the push of the up and down buttons on the remote, would allow you to adjust the cables up or down within say a 2" - 10" height range.  You could adjust to optimize for a wide range of (always changing) physical and spiritual phenomena.

Steve

Wayner

« Reply #32 on: 15 Oct 2009, 07:47 pm »
Back to the Hemp cable, how about medical hemp cable, to keep within the spirit of the law. After all, The USA is a nation of laws and that fact alone will keep Frank's new product legit. I would assume that it will have a higher user tax and may require a prescription from your local audiologist, but after that, hemp away.

Aah, automated cable elevators! Now you are getting really creative. I can once again apply my trade to the AVA line. This will require some motorized actuator arms, controlled thru PLC logic, so we are going to need a bunch of 12 volt solid state power supplies, DIN rail, fuses and circuit breakers and of course terminal blocks, Iboco wireway and perhaps a couple of Hoffman utility boxes to house the whole thing in. If the left side needs to be adjusted differently then the right side, we will need additional analog output PLC modules and proximity sensors to make the whole thing work. I like it! Oh yeah, we'll need a wireless resistive load touch screen to talk to the PLC.

Wayner  :smoke:

Wayner

« Reply #33 on: 15 Oct 2009, 07:58 pm »
Some other products that may be considered is a new power cord for the DAC, Ultravalve and all preamps:

And a new complimentary power strip:

The show really gave us some fine ideas.

Wayner  8)

srb

« Reply #34 on: 15 Oct 2009, 08:06 pm »
Aah, automated cable elevators! Now you are getting really creative. I can once again apply my trade to the AVA line. This will require some motorized actuator arms, controlled thru PLC logic, so we are going to need a bunch of 12 volt solid state power supplies, DIN rail, fuses and circuit breakers and of course terminal blocks, Iboco wireway and perhaps a couple of Hoffman utility boxes to house the whole thing in. If the left side needs to be adjusted differently then the right side, we will need additional analog output PLC modules and proximity sensors to make the whole thing work. I like it! Oh yeah, we'll need a wireless resistive load touch screen to talk to the PLC.

I knew it would be fairly complex with the need to synchronize elevation, and I also did think about independent L/R with 4-button remote.

No one else has it, and for the dude (or dudess) that will drop $5-10K on speaker cables alone, it's perfect.  Imagine remotely adjusting until that soundstage 'snaps' into place!

AVA - We put the elevator in elevators;)

Now that I think about it, this kind of flies in the face of the accessory line philosophy of giving little content for much money.  This would actually be a very sophisticated electro-mechanical analog and digital high-content system.  Would make one helluva science fair project, though.

Steve
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2009, 11:12 pm by srb »