Cryotweaks Plug&Play Speaker Adapters. . .

Hantra

« on: 7 Jan 2004, 01:41 am »
Thanks to Mike at Cryotweaks, I was able to experience some Bybee's in the demo kit.  My previous experience with Bybees was terrible.  I didn't like them at all on my digital.  

This time was very different.  Mike sent me the Bybee Plug&Play Speaker Adapters, the Interconnect adapters, and some ERS (which I already use extensively), and a Power Conditioner AC cord!  I spent a lot of time with this stuff, and although I had a bad cold for half of my time, and couldn't hear, I did form some very clear impressions of these devices in my system.

First off, the Speaker Adapters are the best bang-for-the buck product for my system.  The Speaker Adapters are amazing.  After living with them for a while (sorry Jerry), I was able to hear exactly what they did when I took them out.  With the Speaker Adapters, any discs with an edge or hint of glare get smoothed over and sound more natural, and less irritating. The acoustic space seems a bit larger and much deeper with these things too.  I know it's cliche, but the background was a lot quieter.  Things were much more 3D, and just overall more enjoyable with these inline.

The Power Conditioner is good, but I found very little difference between that, and my Audience PowerChords, and they're paid for, so. .  ;-)  I don't want to downplay this power cord.  For me to say it's VERY similar to the PowerChord is great praise for this product IMO.  The PowerChord needs no introduction or review, and you can read any of the myriad reviews on just how good they are.  I was surprised that any cord would stand with it, but the Power Conditioner did well.

The interconnect adapters were great also.  They brought a bit more of what the Speaker Adapters did, but not at that magnitude.  Honestly, I could live without the Interconnect Adapters, but the Speaker Adapters are a must.  

I HAVE to buy these Speaker Adapters.  The only "complaint" I have I guess is that I wish they were built with better parts.  Maybe some badass Cardas spades, some Audience wire, you know, so it would match the caliber of the rest of the system.  Only problem is, they'd be a LOT more expensive probably.  And I am not about to VOID the 6 year warranty on the Piegas to solder the Bybees to the inside.  

Also, I was a bit concerned about NOT having them on positive AND negative terminals of my speakers.  In my mind, I guess I feel like I am adding a device, and 6" of wire to one side, and the other side has to get signal there faster.  I know it sounds dumb, but one wouldn't have negative leads 6" longer on nice speaker cable, right?

Anyhow, try these if you can.

Thanks again to Mike for the gracious demo!

B

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2004, 08:05 am »
A very enjoyable review Brandon,,,, they always are when the opinions are in agreement with my own. :lol: You did make a good point about the connections on the plug n'play, that's one reason why I'm glad I had Bolder Cable make up mine with Wayne's Nitro wire and high quality binding posts. In fact all Wayne's adapters are made with the finest of terminations. But as far as cost goes, Cryotweaks can't be beat for his Bybee toys. BTW, have you tried a digital cable with Bybee's yet? It's a great complement to the speaker filters imo. :D Regards, Robin

Jay S

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2004, 11:09 am »
Brandon,

I think you may have tried an inline bybee before on a digital cable.  I did too, at the end of a Bolder digital cable w/ bullet plugs.  I can tell you that this combo does not sound as good as a Bolder Napalm, which has a built-in bybee filter as well as ERS tape.  I am now using a Bolder Napalm, and my "regular" digital cable and inline bybees are gathering dust...

Hantra

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2004, 12:57 pm »
Quote from: Jay S
Brandon,

I think you may have tried an inline bybee before on a digital cable.  I did too, at the end of a Bolder digital cable w/ bullet plugs.  I can tell you that this combo does not sound as good as a Bolder Napalm, which has a built-in bybee filter as well as ERS tape.

I have no doubt the Napalm would sound better.  I think the issue I experienced was due to the multiple connections, and possibly some impedance things.  It also could be that the Nixon DAC just didn't like that configuration.

Jay S

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2004, 01:27 pm »
Yeah, multiple connections could be the culprit -- that's the reason why I went for the Napalm.

By the way, I am using the Napalm with a SN TubeDac - one of the original versions not the newer one with the higher output voltage.  Also use it with a Mensa Plus DI/O.

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2004, 02:52 pm »
Hey guys, we ARE talking about the Cryotweaks demo kit aren't we?  :)

Anyhow, regarding Hantra's point about the parts, yes the Plug & Plays would be ALOT more expensive with the parts he mentioned.  I do use single crystal Vampire wire for the 3" flexible lead at the end.  The spade is silver plated copper, I now source them from Audioquest.  The binding post is a heavily modified Parts Express post.  But it is one of their best.

Anyhow, thanks to Hantra for the kind words.  I do offer a 30 day trial with a  full refund if not satisfied. I also will custom build with better parts, you must supply me with the parts.

Thanks again!

Mike

duff138

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2004, 04:30 pm »
I'm looking foward to getting the demo-kit.  It'll be my first experience with the bybee filters.

Mad DOg

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jan 2004, 10:52 pm »
b,

thanks for sharing your experience w/ the plug-n-play bybees...

mike is definitely a very cool guy!  8)

when i had them in my system, i experienced much of the same effects you observed as well...on poor recordings, these things did wonders to tame grain and glare...however on good recordings, they also detracted from the leading edge transients and reduced the amount of attack...

i also experienced the deeper and blacker soundstage...as i've experimented with more stuff, i think that this is a result of the bybees taming the treble...when the highs are backed off a little, the soundstage automatically deepens because the mids are more prominent. with less treble energy, cymbals seem to be further back in the soundstage and vocals seem to be pushed forward giving the perception of a deeper and more 3-D soundstage...

glad they worked for you in your system...it was a mixed bag for me in my system...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 7 Jan 2004, 10:55 pm »
What's the price on those things?  Looks pretty cool, and a good way to try Bybee's without major surgery.

Mad DOg

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jan 2004, 11:05 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
What's the price on those things?  Looks pretty cool, and a good way to try Bybee's without major surgery.

$135 a piece or 4 for $479

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 8 Jan 2004, 04:40 am »
Rob, you really only need a pair, one Bybee placed on the + lead. :D  PLUS, I might add, that any rolloff of the treble or filtering of the high frequency digital hash (either way you want to look at it) can be quickly rectified with the use of Z-Sleeves IMHO. At least that's what works for me in my system. Highs & depth,,, and I'm a happy listener. :thumbs: Regards, Robin

cryotweaks

• TweekGeek.com
« Reply #11 on: 8 Jan 2004, 05:43 pm »
I thought I'd chime in again on this.  

Mad Dog, the leading edge transient thing we experienced at the last listening session,  I am pretty certain that was due to the Bybees not being soldered directly in line.  The extra connections necessary for the Plug & Play are the culprit.  

That being said,  I had to really, really listen and concentrate to hear that, and it was only on one recording you played, at least when I was there. There may have been more when you were doing further experimentation.

As far as the highs being rolled off, I never noticed that in my system.  

The great thing is, you can try them for 30 days without risk.  

Robin, the z-sleeve thing, I have been experimenting with some combinations of ERS, and flexible shielding materials with huge success.  I have made a flexible sleeve about 2 feet long that covers my interconnects.  It spaces the ERS and the other shielding materials away from the cables by 1/2" to 3/4", depending on the thickness of the spacer.  The cost for materials was around $45 per 1 meter pair of cable.   Want the recipe?

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 8 Jan 2004, 06:56 pm »
Sure Mike, does a bear s*** it the woods? I'm always willing to listen to a new idea. :D Regards, Robin

eichlerera1

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jan 2004, 07:12 pm »
Mike Cryoteaks,
          We ALL want that recipe.
                                                    Paul G

cryotweaks

• TweekGeek.com
« Reply #14 on: 8 Jan 2004, 07:19 pm »
Here it is!

Materials:

All materials can be found at either McMaster Carr.  (http://www.mcmaster.com/) or Cryotweaks (http://www.cryotweaks.com/)

Polyethylene Foam Pipe and Tube Insulation - $3.35 per 6' tube
* I use McMaster Part # 93825K47 with a 5/8 inner diameter and 1/2" thickness.  Comes in white.  It offers enough spacing for the ERS, allows the T/C braid to slide over fairly easily, and isn't outrageousely bulky.

Braided Tinned Copper Mesh Sleeving (T/C sleeving) - $2.04 per foot - Part # 5537K34
* You will need around 5' per tube
* 1 1/8" is big enough to get around the pipe insulation, and still big enough to expand around the ERS layer.

Stillpoints ERS Tape, 1/2" non adhesive backed - 6 feet - $1.50 per foot found at Cryotweaks.  Call or email me with the quantity you need, since I don't list it.

Mil Spec Teflon tape - 43 foot roll of 3/4" $3.15 per roll - Part #6802K44

* Thicker than the teflon tape you can get at the hardware store, comes in differents widths.  I recommend 3/4"

* I use about 1 roll per tube.

Electrical tape
* Use this to secure the ends of the braided sleeving.  Heatshrink would decrease the inner diameter of the tube at the ends.

Construction:

1.  Cut your foam pieces to length.  To determine the length, the best advice is to leave 4-6" of interconnect uncovered on each end.  The reason for doing so will become obvious once you try to plug the finished product into your system's components.  Once the tubing is cut, attach the longitudinal edges together by peeling off the strips and exposing the adhesive.

2.  With the uncut section of T/C braided sleeving, start sliding one end over the tubing until you get about 1" from the end.  Mark the spot on the T/C sleeving where the other end of the foam tubing terminates.  Remove the T/C sleeving, and cut along the mark.  Cut three more pieces using this as a guide if you are making 2 tubes. If you are only making one tube, one more piece will suffice.

3. Slide one piece of T/C braided sleeving over each foam tube, spacing it evenly from each end, then tape the ends with electrical tape to prevent fraying.  TECHNIQUE:  Make sure the tape is approximately half on the sleeving and half on the foam tubing, as close to the ends of the tubing as possible. Wrap around twice.  The tape will not stick to the sleeving very well, but having it stick to the foam helps hold everything in place. DO NOT wrap the tape tightly, as you will reduce the diameter of the inside hole, making it difficult for your cable to pass through.

4.  Wrapping the ERS around the tube.  You will attach one end of the ERS tape to one end of the tube.  I would let it circle the tube about 3 1/2 times before it reaches the other end of the tube.  Cut ERS and tape the other end down.

5.  Now take another piece of T/C braided sleeving and slide it over the tube.  You will now have an ERS "sandwich", with the T/C braided sleeving covering the front and back.  The foam tubing spaces this sandwich far enough away from the interconnect so as to minimize (just coverning my a$$), if not eliminate, interfering with the sonics of the cable in the way that ERS is known for. Tape the ends of the second layer of sleeving just like the first so the T/C braid does not fray.

6. Cover in Teflon tape.  I use 1 roll per tube.  As a precaution, I finish the ends in one last wrap of electrical tape.

You can finish these off further if you want by covering the finished tubes with Tech Flex, then shrink wrapping the ends.  Shrink wrapping the ends may be tricky, you dont want to reduce the inner diameter of the tubes. Or if your like me you can hot glue PVC pipe caps on the ends, drill out the centers, and install strain reliefs.

audiojerry

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jan 2004, 09:06 pm »
THANKS FOR THE RECIPE!

Sa-dono

« Reply #16 on: 9 Jan 2004, 04:38 am »
Quote from: cryotweaks
I thought I'd chime in again on this.

Mad Dog, the leading edge transient thing we experienced at the last listening session, I am pretty certain that was due to the Bybees not being soldered directly in line. The extra connections necessary for the Plug & Play are the culprit.

That being said, I had to really, really listen and concentrate to hear that, and it was only on one recording you played, at least when I was there. There may have been more when you were doing further experimentation.

As far as the highs being rolled off, I never noticed that in my system.

The great thing is, you can try them for 30 days without risk.

Hey Mike! I hope everything is going well for you.

I guess I'll add my 2 cents... I have to agree with the slight rolling off of highs, and lessening of transient response (this is a result of the highs). I have found this true of all Bybees I have heard (soldered directly, or not), so I do not think this is just a result of the extra connections.

I agree you have a great trial opportunity though...so I fully recommend people taking the easy opportunity to try Bybees for themselves, in their own system. Mike is a great guy, so no worries about dealing with him (or we'll have big JC sic him :lol: ).

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #17 on: 9 Jan 2004, 06:14 am »
Quote from: audiojerry
THANKS FOR THE RECIPE!
What temp. and how long in the oven !!  Is this one of Martha's recipes :lol:

audiojerry

« Reply #18 on: 15 Jan 2004, 11:18 pm »
I just completed my auditioning of the all the toys in the audition pack, and I've got some great news....I just saved a bundle on my car insurance!  :P

On the audition pack, I've got some great news, and some no news. First the "no news": The ERS cloth, Bybee interconnect adaptors, and Bybee speaker adaptors made no audible difference that I could discern. I tried hard, maybe too hard, but I could hear nothing different when I put them in or took them out.

Using masking tape, I tried the ERS wrapped around my P-3A, P-1A, and Monolithic power supply. I also tried it on my phono power supply.

I tried the Bybee interconnect filters on both ends of my wire between my dac and pre, and between my pre and amp. I tried the Bybee speaker filters on both leads of my speaker terminals. No difference either positive or negative.

It's possible that other filters currently in my system overr0de or canceled out any effects of the Bybee's and ERS. I do have two Bybee's internally mounted in my Modwright P-3A, I have separate isolation transformers  for my digital and analog components, and both are plugged into a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet. I have very good Mother Power Cords, and I'm usng Triphazers on my power cords, speakers, and interconnects, so it's possible my system is already too "conditioned" to benefit from any additional conditioning; except for one.

The great news: Cryotweak's power cord. My ZuCable's Mothers were the best pc's I've used, but the Cryotweaks pc resulted in a noticeable improvement when used on both my preamp and Monolithic Power Supply. I enjoyed a blacker background and better dynamics. This tells me that the Cryotweaks pc is a great component. I just wish they had a good name for it.

The greatest news: Mike of Cryotweaks! In addition to his trust and generosity by sending out a package of several expensive items, Mike was a completely classy gentleman. When I informed him of my listening experiences, he accepted it graciously. Unlike other merchants, he did not try to blame it on other factors or find fault with my listening skills. Plus, he had no qualms about me posting my impressions. This is real class!

Thanks for the opportnity, Mike  :thumb:

Mad DOg

« Reply #19 on: 15 Jan 2004, 11:52 pm »
Quote from: audiojerry
...The greatest news: Mike of Cryotweaks! In addition to his trust and generosity by sending out a package of several expensive items, Mike was a completely classy gentleman. When I informed him of my listening experiences, he accepted it graciously. Unlike other merchants, he did not try to blame it on other factors or find fault with my listening skills. Plus, he had no qualms about me posting my impressions. This is real class!...
audiojer,

thanks for sharing ur experience w/ us...like you, i tried the ERS cloth and found that it didn't do anything in my system either...

but you are so RIGHT ON about Mike! :) he is a GREAT guy! what you just described is Mike...totally open minded and accepting of advice and criticism without blaming the listener or gear...he understands that there are alot of different factors at play and what works for one system or person might not work for another...i'm looking forward to seeing him again this Sat.!!!

i've heard his old power cord...it definitely gave my system better blacks...wonder what this new one sounds like...