A Familiar Look at the RMAF

Housteau

A Familiar Look at the RMAF
« on: 7 Oct 2009, 06:40 pm »

These were designed by Chris Hoff of Balanced Power Technology's for the Empirical Audio room.

pjchappy

Re: A Familiar Look at the RMAF
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2009, 06:50 pm »
Uh, yeah. . .those look just a WEEEE bit familiar!    :lol:

Pez

« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2009, 07:02 pm »
come on now, dipole line arrays have been around for ages. Sonically they didn't sound at all like VMPS stuff. They sounded great, but I still prefer the sound for the 40s.  :thumb:

pjchappy

« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct 2009, 07:12 pm »
Of course they have, but in my limited experience, I've never seen the "V" shaped ones outside of VMPS' RM V60.  That set-up looks like "RM V60/VLA lite."

Housteau

« Reply #4 on: 7 Oct 2009, 08:11 pm »

They are 100% dipole crossed over close to 300 Hz I believe.  It is just a two way design made especially for the show.  The bass towers have a very low impedance of 1.5 ohms.  Chris also designed the power amps which could switch over to full battery operation.

As pjchappy mentions, it was the folded back wings and open baffel design that caught my attention right away as being similar to my RM-V60s.  That is where the similarity ended.   Pez nailed it also as they do not sound like the V60s.  Steve's front end was very good, but the speaker / room combination did not work for me.  Zero room treatments were employed in a room that really required treatment.  Something, anything would have been better than nothing.  So, unfortunately the room sound was far from the best possible with the system lacking the musical weight and being somewhat unforgiving to my ears.  Still, one could recognize the potential.

One of the things that amazed me the most about the RMAF was that most of the rooms were not treated much if at all, yet many of them did sound quite good.