Tube Dampers - What Do They Do?

TJHUB

Tube Dampers - What Do They Do?
« on: 7 Oct 2009, 01:58 am »
I'm new to tubes and I've been posting little bits of my figuring these complicated things out on this forum.  In my searches for information regarding tubes and their sonics, I've come across tube damper threads and I became curious.  I ended up ordering a UltraSonic Rx from Herbie's Audio.

My only piece of tubed gear is my Music Hall 25.2 DAC with a 6922 variant.  I've rolled a few tubes through the DAC and recently settled on a Mazda 7308 that I find near perfect for what I had as my ultimate goal for sound.  I really couldn't be happier (well until I get to hear something better anyway).

I've had enough time with my new Mazda tube in my DAC to get very familiar with the sound on my favorite tracks.  So with the family out of the house this evening, I figured I'd give the tube damper a try.

The first thing I did was feel the DAC's chassis while playing music at a normal level of about 80-85db.  I was surprised to feel the level of vibrations that I did.  I have a heavy credenza style entertainment center with the feet removed so that the main bottom board is sitting right on my carpet.  Then this is loaded down with a couple hundred pounds of audio gear.  The DAC sits on this bottom board on the left side all by itself. 

So this is where I'd like to hear some feedback from you more experienced and knowledgeable types.  I didn't expect to hear a difference, but I really think I do.  I listened without the damper, with it again, removed it, and put it back on.  Each time it was on, the sound changed, but I don't want to call it "better".  The sound overall seems to get darker.  Not darker like warm sounding without good high end extension, it's more like a decrease in ambiance or air.  It's like the sound is not as open and free flowing; not as lifelike.  I'd say the overall decay time on instruments sounds less.  I also think the bass is somewhat reduced.

Some good things are that very busy music sounds less busy.  Instruments do sound possibly more coherent, but there is that reduction in decay sound.     

So...am I just making this up in my mind or is this what I *should* be hearing?  Is it strange that I seem to prefer the sound without the tube damper?  Am I crazy?

For now, I think I'll leave it on and give it a week of listening.  Then I'll remove it and see what, if anything, sounds different.  Then I'll know if I'm crazy or not.  :wink:

AudioSoul

Re: Tube Dampers - What Do They Do?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2009, 06:04 am »

Tube microphonics do add a certain zing to the music. For some music that is a help (adds some livelyness) For some music tube dampers are a hinderence ( dulls the music). That is my experience anyway....... 8)

TJHUB

« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2009, 11:21 pm »

Tube microphonics do add a certain zing to the music. For some music that is a help (adds some livelyness) For some music tube dampers are a hinderence ( dulls the music). That is my experience anyway....... 8)

I think you are correct.  I had the tube buffer on for a few days now and the entire time the music all sounded dull.  I just removed the damper and things are lively again.  Actually, everything sounds perfect again.  So no tube dampers for this tube!

I'm still shocked at the level of difference the tube damper made.  It's not subtle at all.  :o

Bigfish

« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2009, 11:48 pm »

I agree with this statement as this has been my experience with tube dampers.  Mixed bag!

Ken

Pez

« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2009, 01:06 am »
Ok for the guys saying tube dampers are a 'mixed bag' I have two questions, first what dampers are you using and second what type of tubes are you damping? In my experience with the dampers I use there's absolutely nothing 'mixed' about it. They always sound better in all material. The biggest improvements are in focusing of the soundstage and better bottom to top overall sound quality. 

enjoythemusic

« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2009, 04:42 pm »
Depends on the dampener. Over the years i have tried various ones (too many to mention). The best ones ARE NOT made of metal or any magnetic substance. Seems *something* goes wrong when metal is used imho. The best ones i have found are some medium brown thick high-temp rings like cj uses in their gear. Bought a few bags of 50 qty of them years back and just found a new bag of them. These are not too tight or loose on 12x sized tubes and seem to work best to my ears. You can use one or two, i prefer a pair per tube at 1/3 and 2/3 of the sides of the tube.

Of course ALL generalizations are wrong and perhaps things can be tube/application dependant.