The true Ultimate Audio tube(s).

Blues-in-the-Alley

• It's 3 o'clock in the morning...........
The true Ultimate Audio tube(s).
« on: 6 Oct 2009, 03:01 pm »
I know this is a question that is the source of a lot of consternation between tube lovers. However, I want to pose this question in away that seems to get overlooked. If you could have an amp built for you with any output, driver, and rectifier combination, transformer or transformerless what would that be? I would like specifics as speaker efficiency affecting your decision, in addition to your music preference as this has a HUGE impact on your design tastes. :drool:

AudioSoul

Re: The true Ultimate Audio tube(s).
« Reply #1 on: 6 Oct 2009, 03:37 pm »

What about the other components you will be using with that amp? It's all about synergy... 8)

Blues-in-the-Alley

« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2009, 05:17 pm »
Okay, I am using a Nottingham Space deck with heavy kit, Rega Apollo CD, Acoustech PH-1 phono. Preamp to be decided with amp based on tube type.  Speakers are currently on hand are Soliloquy 5.3 and Tannoy D80.   :duh:

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2009, 10:22 pm »
I only know a handful of guys with enough experience in having hear all that you mention to be able to give decent advice and they probably don't frequent this forum often. 

I say this because you are asking almost an unknowable.   I think topology and transformer choice likey has as much or more to do with the resulting sound than particular tube type.  How many folks do you know who have experienced the multitude of combinations who can really give a decent answer? 

Are you looking to buy, build or have it built for you?  I'd start doing a lot of auditioning to see what it is you like and whether there are any trends in what you like.  Your own preference is going to have a lot to do with it. 

Budget is going to have a lot to do with it too.  It might be fun to ask the question, but some tubes are going to require a heck of a lot more money to the finish product because they require higher voltage and price gets exponential with higher voltage.

I know what amps I am interested in hearing, but I haven't the experience to make any real judgements.   I've heard numerous tube amps but that barely touches the tip of the iceberg.

Browntrout

« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2009, 11:34 pm »
I don't think that the type of music you listen to has/should have any bearing upon which tubes you choose. If the tubes/amp are good then they will be good with all types of music.
  The previous post is spot on in my opinion but what I can say is that Mullard GZ37's work very well as driver tubes and Emission Labs W520bv2 are supremely powerfull and sound very nice indeed in my amp. If that is of some help, I don't know, but the guy who designed my amp recommended I try Western Electric 300b's and I know he has done alot of listening in the process of designing.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2009, 11:51 pm »
That is a vague question- but there is a way to answer it (vaguely) and still be somewhat meaningful.

1. When in doubt, look at higher powered amps. Stay around the 30+ watt range. Speaker efficiency isn't as big a deal with large amps- so that eliminates several issues.

2. High-power amps can work perfectly with high efficiency speakers. If in doubt- ask how quiet it operates.

3. Tube types: There are several ways of obtaining 'high power'. Most manufacturers prefer El34's, 6L6's. 6550's & KT-88's. They provide the most bang for the buck and work exceptionally well. For over 50 watts a side, power tubes can be ganged or 6550's/KT-88's can manage more with the right loading and proper power supply.

4. Certain types of music have more bandwidth than others. If you're concerned about performance at high volumes with a vast array of music, again- stay around 30+ watts per channel. High volume & low efficiency: Stick with 50+ watts per channel. More power will reduce distortion at high volumes and provide better delivery quality when the going gets tough.

Hope this helps. The short of it is: When in doubt, shop for big amps.

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 7 Oct 2009, 12:05 am »
I don't think that the type of music you listen to has/should have any bearing upon which tubes you choose. If the tubes/amp are good then they will be good with all types of music.
  The previous post is spot on in my opinion but what I can say is that Mullard GZ37's work very well as driver tubes and Emission Labs W520bv2 are supremely powerfull and sound very nice indeed in my amp. If that is of some help, I don't know, but the guy who designed my amp recommended I try Western Electric 300b's and I know he has done alot of listening in the process of designing.

EML tubes are suppose to be fantastic and if price were not object, I'd probably design around those.  FYI though, g737 is a rectifier not a driver.

Blues-in-the-Alley

« Reply #7 on: 7 Oct 2009, 12:07 pm »
Thanks to all for you comments. Yes it was a vague question, intentionally so. I read and see all the reviews, hype, and marketing for all the variants of tube amps. Frankly it gives me a headache and distracts from the purpose, enjoyment. I was trying to get opinions from reality as opposed to the aforementioned places.

I am currently the owner of two pairs of Quicksilver amps, KT 88 II's and M-60's. I really enjoy them, although I prefer the KT 88 ll's over the M-60's. Probably due to the tube rectification.

I have been getting the itch to try single ended as it seems that there may be more "magic". Circuit wise it appears logical anyway. I am a firm believer in less is more. I am currently building a fullrange driver set of speakers, after having just sold my Tannoy 3836's.

Thanks again and sorry for the rambling.