What are Dual Mono Amps Most Similar to?

cloudbaseracer

What are Dual Mono Amps Most Similar to?
« on: 6 Oct 2009, 04:53 am »
I saw someone using the Odyssey Dual Mono Amps and just wonder how these compare with any of the current offerings from Klaus?

Thanks,

James

AnalogDog

Re: What are Dual Mono Amps Most Similar to?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2009, 04:37 am »
I imagine it'd be a sonic dead ringer for the regular Stratos monoblocs, which I run, and like better than any amp(s) I've had in my system (though I dream of shoehorning a pair of Kismets, or at least glass ceiling Extremes, into those cases.

lazydays

Re: What are Dual Mono Amps Most Similar to?
« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2009, 04:15 pm »
I've said it more than once on this board that I think my monos have a similar sound to an Accuphase amp, but have a little tighter and faster bass response. Also think the glass ceiling models have a much more open and even more transparent upper end.
     You can't compair them to a Krell or PS Audio amp as they'll simply smoke them in an A&B test. They're not necessarily my alltime favorite (CJ Premire 140's), but they are for sure in the top five and about 1/3rd of the price.
     I really do think that as good as these mono blocs are; the real secret to driving them is in the preamp. They love tubes! Tobe exact, I've yet to find a tubed preamp that didn't work well with them! (I think I've had about five or six different tubed preamps in front of them now)
gary