RMAF 2009 and Omega

Capt. Z

RMAF 2009 and Omega
« on: 5 Oct 2009, 12:41 pm »
Would have loved to be at the RMAF but it's just too far from where I live so I wonder if someone was at the RMAF and saw and heard the Omega speakers there.

mgalusha

Re: RMAF 2009 and Omega
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2009, 02:34 pm »
I spent some time in Louis' room and very much enjoyed the music and the sound. I love the coherence of his speakers. If my needs were different they would be high on my list. As always Louis was a class act.  :thumb:

The little 2A3 amps they were using obviously contributed and it was a very nice combination.

shaizada

« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2009, 09:22 pm »
Hey Guys,

Any updates on this?  How was it in general?  Which speakers were being displayed and what was the upstream components?
How was the sound?

Haven't seen anything and its been more than a week now.  :thumb:

rfq

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2009, 03:23 am »
I had a chance to listen to both of the Omega rooms quite a bit. In one room Lou had the new Stix and subs playing on a new brand of tube amps and when they played a sample cd from the NY audio society (I think) it was pretty awesome having no problem filling the room with a big,very musical sound.The other room was the Virtue Audio room where there were actually two setups. One was kind of a more nearfield setup in a smaller room with just the Stix without subs on Virtues new Piano cd player and amp. People were amazed at the full sound coming out of small setup. The other system had the 6.5 " Alnico monitors on Virtues new Piano cd player, DAC and flagship amp the Sensation (quite a stunning piece) combo. The set-up was a little different because the monitors were directly on the floor and tilted up. If you have these speakers you might want to give it a try! With the new Virtue amp the bass actually got even more extended while remaining very articulate without bloat or getting boomy. The whole balance of the sound was great with a little more midbass. Overall it was very smooth and musical while retaining that Omega "live" sound. i own a pair of 3XRS and this is the first time I've heard the alnicos, very impressive. I think they're smoother and more refined, i might have to start saving up!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2009, 02:23 am »
I think rmaf just hinted at what Omegas are capable of, neither one of the rooms was very well set up, largely because it wasn't set up for only the Omegas, and the stands for the 6" monitors were lost in shipping.

Anyway, I really liked the 6" monitors, but I think the 4.5" alnico drivers will be worth waiting for... depending on what kind of sound you like of course.

The sticks with the 2a3s sounded like they needed more break in and the subs didn't integrate as well as they could. They showed some good imaging at times, and gave a clue as to what they are all about. I'm not trying to be harsh, but I have a set of 4.5" XRS that I've spent a lot of time getting dialed in to where I'm really happy with how they sound, so I know how much better they can be.

If I had any advice, it would be to go to the show with a setup that's already dialed in for the environment you'll be in. No compromising by sharing rooms with other speaker manufacturers either. This is what Merlin has done, it's been the same system for the last 3 years, and they are consistently good, and their show sound is actually representative of what the equipment is capable of.

Pez

« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2009, 03:55 am »
I agree with Dave. Not to be harsh, but the rooms I went to with the Omega stuff either A. Did not have them setup at all. ie they were being rotated with another brand speaker. B. Had the monitors setup, but sitting on the ground. They did not present well in that setup. Perhaps an Omega room is in order for next year? 

Louis O

« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2009, 12:45 am »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the posts and I sorry about the late reply. I had been under the weather for a while with Gall stones and battle through it. All is taken care of now.

I have to thank Virtue and the Art Forma for letting me into the rooms to show. This was a very new experience for me because there were other speakers in the room too and it was very difficult to set up all the time with switching and the like. I always had my own room before and setup was a non issue. So I do understand. It's critical and I usually take hours before a show to tweak and when it's done the speakers stay put.

Thanks and can't wait for Montreal.

Louis