player instead of foobar with web interface?

firedog

player instead of foobar with web interface?
« on: 4 Oct 2009, 05:20 pm »
Hi-

I'm using a Duet + Pace Car run from a dedicated music server.  The server has no monitor/keyboard/mouse.

I'm thinking of moving away from the Logitech/Pace Car solution to one based on an Off Ramp 3. However, that leaves me with a dilemma. If I do that I'll need a way to interface with the music server, which as I said, doesn't have a monitor.

Short of adding a monitor and mouse to the server, I'd like to simply run the server from a remote desktop type solution, or preferably from a browser based interface installed on the PC I normally interact with. Do any of you know of a good sounding player that will allow me to run it remotely like this - one with a reasonably good interface?  I like foobar, but as far as I know, no proper remote browser interface exists for it.

Again, I don't want to bring music from my server to another PC, I just want to command a music player installed on the server from a remote PC - I want the server to then send the digital signal out through its attached Off Ramp.

Thanks

firedog

Re: player instead of foobar with web interface?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2009, 05:22 pm »
sorry mistake

audiobit

« Reply #2 on: 4 Oct 2009, 05:43 pm »
I have the expirience in contorol the Foobar2000 with the http interface plugin and it sems to me it is stable. But I prefer the Radmin program as the remote control for music server.

I use the Silex SX-200WG USB device server to connect the Off Ramp Turbo2 using Ethernet LAN. The sound is excelent - the same as it connected to real computer USB,

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2009, 09:32 pm »
You probably want to stick with PC, but this may be a good time to consider a headless Mac Mini running iTunes and Amarra controlled from an ipod Touch.

This will deliver better audio quality than any PC player I have heard, including Foobar.  You could still use the Pace-Car, but use a wired device like a Fireface400 or Tascam US-144 to drive it from the Mac Mini.  At RMAF, I could have used either, but chose the Fireface400.  It had Fireface reboot problems on the floor though because of carpet static.

Steve N.