Reactions from RMAF 2009 in Denver

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
Reactions from RMAF 2009 in Denver
« on: 2 Oct 2009, 05:09 pm »
Hi all visitors of the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest,

Here is a nice place to give your reactions from the RMAF.

Don't forget the nice pictures.

We appreciate your input very much.

Thanks,

Cor (and all the others who are also not able to visit the show)

Don_S

Re: Reactions from RMAF 2009 in Denver
« Reply #1 on: 2 Oct 2009, 06:04 pm »
I have a suggestion.  I am looking forward to reading about RMAF, seeing pictures, and enjoying a vicarious thrill.  Instead of having the reports fragmented in numerous Manufacturers' and Owners" Circles it may be better to consolidate GENERAL comments in the "Audio Shows and Events Circle"    http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=153.0

I understand that comments on a particular room (Von Schweikert for example) may be more appropriate under that circle. I am not trying to preclude that. My request is that the comments on that circle not wander off the topic of VS.

I think everyone will be better served by the bulk of  reports consolidated in one place.  If not, then why have an "Audio Shows and Events Circle"?

SundayNiagara

« Reply #2 on: 3 Oct 2009, 03:46 pm »
Best coverage I've seen so far, is from Sound Stage and it's nothing to write home about..   Otherwise, the rest of the coverage is very poor.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 3 Oct 2009, 04:11 pm »
I really wish I was there to listen to these speakers :drool:

htradtk

« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct 2009, 11:07 pm »
Greetings,

Any news on the VR77's from the RMAF? I looked on Stereophile's web site and nothing there, not even any pics from VSA! Big disappointment from Stereophile! If any one has pics, please post!

Henry

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 4 Oct 2009, 11:14 pm »
I was in two Von Schweikert rooms and only saw these speakers, in one room they were driven by Moscode (my favorite) and the other by CI Audio.

Wayne

disco

• Industry Participant
    • Supra HiFi
« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2009, 12:10 am »
Unfortunately Albert was not able to bring the new VR77's. He displayed the Unifield 3's in two rooms, one with CI and one with Moscode as mentioned above. I really liked the U3's with the Moscode amp.

Isaac.

« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2009, 02:00 am »
The Uni-3's with the CI amps were my favorite room of the show by far.  My twin daughters and I visited twice and had a very pleasant conversation with Albert himself.  Needless to say I am in pursuit if a pair of Von Schweikerts now.  Hmm..Uni-3's or VR4-Mk3?  I love these dilemmas.

Isaac

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #8 on: 5 Oct 2009, 03:29 pm »
The VR4 MkIIIs unless your listening room is on the small side :thumb:

mhconley

« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct 2009, 07:46 pm »
Having spent many hours playing DJ and listening to a wide variety of music in the Moscode / Von Schweikert room and several more visiting other rooms I can comfortably state that I found the Moscode / Von Schweikert room to have the best sound of any at the show.  I wholeheartedly agree with a statement quoted by Albert from an upcoming review on the UniField 3's that the Moscode 402Au playing through the UniField 3's was "achingly beautiful;" it certainly "melted my heart."

I heard nothing better at any cost in any room.  Well recorded material whether it was vocals, organ, brass, woodwinds, orchestral or rock was rendered with a realism, timbral balance and soundstage that was astonishing.  My favorite XRCD's from the Audiophile Voices line were simply mesmerizing and Albert's sampler CD was breathtaking.  I had several opportunities requested by visitors to hear this system at insane volume levels and it never sounded strained.  Also, after 3 days in the room I never felt the least bit fatigued or wanting to escape.  Several of the other rooms I visited drove me out rather quickly.

Thank-you, Albert and George, for the opportunity to hear this system first hand.  Now I need to somehow find the means necessary to bring it home.  :D 

Martin

sammie

« Reply #10 on: 5 Oct 2009, 09:09 pm »
Hi Martin--

I assume, maybe incorrectly, you were able to also hear the Uni-3's with the CI monoblocks.  How did the two systems compare and contrast? Thanks!

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #11 on: 5 Oct 2009, 09:11 pm »
Nice Story Martin,

I "do shows" myself for more than ten years with the VSA's.
So I know what you mean by heart.

Good luck bringing them home.

If you need a hand just call.

Cor

mhconley

« Reply #12 on: 5 Oct 2009, 09:36 pm »
Hi Martin--

I assume, maybe incorrectly, you were able to also hear the Uni-3's with the CI monoblocks.  How did the two systems compare and contrast? Thanks!

I did have a chance to also spend some time in the CI room in the tower.  I felt Dusty's monoblocks were an excellent match for the UniField 3's and really showed how flexible the speakers are - able to "play nice" with both tubes and solid state.  Unfortunately the room sufferred from severe slap echo and boundary interactions, especially between the right/rear wall and ceiling.  I think the long wall set-up was the correct way to minimize the room issues but I felt they still hindered performance.

Still the CI D200 MKII's definitely showed they have excellent extension, power to spare and are able present a easily discernable and beleivable soundstage.  I've also never heard an iPod sound as good as it did through the Wadia and Dusty's DAC.

I think both systems sounded excellent!

Martin

douglesc

« Reply #13 on: 5 Oct 2009, 11:06 pm »
Having spent many hours playing DJ and listening to a wide variety of music in the Moscode / Von Schweikert room and several more visiting other rooms I can comfortably state that I found the Moscode / Von Schweikert room to have the best sound of any at the show.  I wholeheartedly agree with a statement quoted by Albert from an upcoming review on the UniField 3's that the Moscode 402Au playing through the UniField 3's was "achingly beautiful;" it certainly "melted my heart."

I heard nothing better at any cost in any room.  Well recorded material whether it was vocals, organ, brass, woodwinds, orchestral or rock was rendered with a realism, timbral balance and soundstage that was astonishing.  My favorite XRCD's from the Audiophile Voices line were simply mesmerizing and Albert's sampler CD was breathtaking.  I had several opportunities requested by visitors to hear this system at insane volume levels and it never sounded strained.  Also, after 3 days in the room I never felt the least bit fatigued or wanting to escape.  Several of the other rooms I visited drove me out rather quickly.

Thank-you, Albert and George, for the opportunity to hear this system first hand.  Now I need to somehow find the means necessary to bring it home.  :D
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a Von Schweikert fan I wish there would have been more of the upper end. It would have been nice to hear the difference between the VR43 vs the Anniversaries 5. But maybe next time.
How did you think the GR Room sound in comparison??? How about the Hansen Speakers??, Now there's some expensive speakers. Too Bad the Evolution Acoustics weren't there, that would have been interesting. Because I couldn't be there I thought I would ask.

JackD201

« Reply #14 on: 6 Oct 2009, 12:22 am »
Congratulations on your first show Martin! I'm sure you're dead tired but had a blast  :thumb:

Like Cor, Keith and I went to show with the U3s last year. The little U3's stole the hearts of show goers with their sonics and musicality besting a room that had gear that cost almost twice as much. The feedback we got though was that they didn't look like VS speakers meaning their looks were an acquired taste mainly because of the stands. Maybe Albert should ship them out with "Cor Feet".

On future models I would like to see a time alignment rail for the MT modules ala Ascendo. A fraction of a cm makes a lot of difference in tonal balance. For example, having the MTs too far forward adds a slight midbass hump. Too far back and HF sounds recessed and there's some midrange diffraction that blurs imaging. As is, getting the left MTs centered and aligned after finding the perfect front to back orientation of the MT identically is a bit tough.

standub

« Reply #15 on: 6 Oct 2009, 03:40 am »
Well I heard Von Schweikert speakers for the first time at this years RMAF(I've been living north of Denver for 5 years and had no idea what was in my own back yard).  I only heard the Uni 3s in the CI room and was a little off to the left so please keep that in mind as I talk about the sound. 

First off I must say that the Uni 3s where by far the most impressive speaker at the show.  Albert must be a wizard because the amount of bass he gets out of the single 7" driver breaks the laws of physics.  The mids and highs where on par with the Eos HD for best of the show IMHO.  I would state that the Eos had better mids/highs but I was in a much better seat for those than I was with the Uni 3s.  That being said the off-axis performance of the Unis is very very good.  On side/personal note, Albert was by far the coolest designer there.  I must have talk to him for a good 30 mins and in fact could have spent the whole 3 days of the show just talking to him.  I'm about to finish off my basement and get working on that home theater and I would love to have a VS setup, however the price difference between them and 2 other brands i'm looking at might stop me.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #16 on: 6 Oct 2009, 04:11 am »
Last year....RMAF 2008....the Uni-3's were paired with (electronics that will go unnamed - too bright)...myself and Captain Humble couldn't wait to leave that room....  :?

This year....with CI and Moscode (in two different rooms)....much....MUCH better....finally really heard the Uni-3's !! Nice work.... :beer:

varsharun

« Reply #17 on: 6 Oct 2009, 07:10 pm »
I would not be so sure about that Gavin. There is something "magical" about the Uni3, to use a cliched word. The purity of the bass, the ribbon tweeter that produces refined non-fatiguing treble extensions, and the transparency,...I can go on. Of course I am sure your VR5 annies are another story and I wish I could get my hands on those someday!! Where is that black friday 50% off sale Albert?  :singing:  :icon_lol:

-Arun

The VR4 MkIIIs unless your listening room is on the small side :thumb:

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #18 on: 6 Oct 2009, 07:58 pm »
Where is that black friday 50% off sale Albert?  Somewhere over the rainbow...or thereabouts Arun :lol: :lol:

Pez

« Reply #19 on: 6 Oct 2009, 08:01 pm »
The problem with the Von Schweikert/CI audio room was simply this. Too many people wanted to listen to it and every time I went by it was standing room only.  :cry: Great looking stuff though!