Any reviews or feedback on FETValve 350EXR Yet?

revelator

« on: 5 Jan 2004, 06:05 pm »
I'm trying to figure out if I could happily live with a FetValve 350EXR or wait longer and save for the 550 EXR.

I'm currently using low efficient speakers in the 84 - 86 db spl range, but mostly listen at low-medium levels (rarely at high vols. 1-2 times year).  

Will the FETValve 350EXR be enough for a 16' x 20' (12 ft. ceiling) room, driving  a pair of ProAC 2.5's (or Maggies 1.6 in the future) for example?

Can anyone tell me if the 350EXR would be similar in power to an Adcom 555II (my amp for last 10 yrs that will be replaced) -- obviously I'm expecting the quality /sound of 350 to be superior, but..  What about dynamics and bass clarity of individual notes driven by a passive TVC (Sowter trannies)?

Other equipment:
Source CD is a Njoe Tjoeb 4000 with Upsamp/Siemmens 7308.
REL Strata III 10" sub
SS Revelator/XT25 DIY mini monitors

In summary I'm looking for that great detail, pace and rythm at low -medium listening levels, especially in the bass area since I love to pick those individual bass notes while playing bass/guitar.

If anyone cares to comment it would greatly be appreciated.

avahifi_lj

« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2004, 09:03 pm »
Hi:

The FetValve 350EXR should be fine for what you are thinking about especially if you are planning on listening at moderate levels.  The FV 350EXR is rated at 160W into an 8 Ohm load.  Naturally the 550EXR will have power to spare, but the 350EXR does a very nice job.  Magnepan recommends that you drive the MG 1.6s with 50 - 250W.  The MG 1.6s are rated at 86dB, and while not the most efficient of speakers, they are not totally out of place.  I have listened to the 1.6s with moderate amps (<100W) and they worked fine.

Note that the only difference between the 350EXR and 550EXR is the output power.  The basic audio circuits are exactly the same between the amplifiers; therefore, the sound of the two amp are identical.  If you are concerned that the 350EXR is not big enough once you get it you can always have it upgraded to the 550EXR.  I don't have the exact prices, but I believe that the upgrade cost is the price difference between the 550 and 350 and a small additional amount to cover the labor cost to remove the 350 specific parts and add the 550 parts.  Naturally this is assuming that you are upgrading in the same model family (EXR series to EXR series).  Series within a model (350Hc to 550EXR for example) would be priced as a series upgrade and size upgrade.

As for how the Adcom sounds I'll let others respond to that question.....

Thanks for your interest in AVA products!

Larry

revelator

One last question about the FETVALVE 350EXR
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2004, 01:22 pm »
Hi there and ...thanks for the quick response,

O.K. So I'm aware that both the 350 and 550 EXR sound the same but...

Someone has mentioned about the perceived bass improvement (more in the bass dept.) after having the FETValve 550 upgraed from EX to EXR. Would you say that it is also a marked improvement for the 350EXR, or do you think this person was talking about bass while listening at high volume levels on the 550EXR.

Sometimes bigger is not necessarily better... and my preference would be a higher level of music detail at medium volume levels.

avahifi_lj

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2004, 03:04 pm »
Hi:

I improved bass is also in the 350EXR.  I am impressed with the lows that these amps can produce at low volume levels!

Larry