ray gun

WerTicus

ray gun
« on: 5 Jan 2004, 03:29 pm »
hey i found in my dads old record stuff this little black gun labeled 'electronic static remover'  its gun shaped with a springing mechanical trigger that puts a charge through two pins at the end of the barrel...

i was wondering how one uses such a device.

thanks! :)

JohnR

ray gun
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2004, 03:31 pm »
Sounds like it might be useful for lighting the stove...!

Upstateaudio

Ray gun
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2004, 10:54 pm »
Hi WerTicus.  The device you describe sounds like a copy of a static eliminating device known as the Zerostat.  You place an LP on a mat and aim the gun ~ 6" from the LP and press the trigger slowly.  Ions are emitted which neutralize the static charge on the LP, which makes it considerably quieter.  If I remember correctly the device retailed for US $30 in its heyday in the 70s.

The Zerostat is still being made in England and retails here in the US for $60.  A similar device is marketed by Mapleshade Records known as the Iconoclast.  Pierre designed it for CDs, I have found it more effective for Lps.  It sells for $38.

It should certainly help you, if the humidity is low.

Have fun.   :)

WerTicus

ray gun
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2004, 05:02 am »
lol yeah i rekon it would light a stove nicely :)

okay upstate... i was actually using it a bit like that anyways... not that there was noticeable static to start with so im not sure if it actually works or not :P

duff138

ray gun
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2004, 04:00 pm »
Quote from: WerTicus
lol yeah i rekon it would light a stove nicely :)

okay upstate... i was actually using it a bit like that anyways... not that there was noticeable static to start with so im not sure if it actually works or not :P

You should make sure it still works.  Put the gun against your leg.  pull trigger.  if you get a little shock that means the guns still working.  If not then don't bother using it.

WerTicus

ray gun
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2004, 05:17 pm »
yeah i already had hours of fun with that little trick duff :)

hifitommy

Zstat
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2004, 05:25 pm »
if there is physical resistance while pulling the trigger, it very likely works.  its one of the products that actually does what its supposed to.  

the best time to use it is when you remove an LP fro the platter, hold the disc with your middle finger in the hole (shut up!) and your thumb at the edge.  from about 10" away, aimed at the center of the record, slowly squeeze the trigger in. then aim the gun away from the record and release it (slowly so as not to damage the crystal inside.

now the record wont set in the jacket attracting dust into the grooves.  sometimes when the air is dry, you may need to zstat the record before play, but thats usually not necessary.  

some people use them on CDs but i dont see the benefit.

another thing it does nicely but which i dont permit is to shoot it at a womans or girls hair when it is all staticy. from the raised position of the hair when charged from brushing, the zstat just COLLAPSES the field and the hair relaxes.  its dramatic.  but then youll have to hunt for the gun and they seem to think of it as a novelty.