Hybrid Digital FM Through The BDA-1

95Dyna

Hybrid Digital FM Through The BDA-1
« on: 30 Sep 2009, 07:43 pm »
I've been reading some very good reviews of HD FM tuners under $300.00 that have digital outputs.  The reviews are of the tuners using their own internal DAC.  Sam Tellig for example recently reviewed the $99 Sony tuner in Stereophile and was wild about it (this particular tuner doesn't have digital outputs, however).  If they sound this good on their own I can only imagine what they would sound like running digital out to the BDA-1.  One question I would have in doing this is what happpens when a station loses its digital signal and reverts back to analog.  Dead silence I reckon until the digital restores.  Does anybody have any first or second hand experience doing this with the BDA-1 or any other DAC.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Hybrid Digital FM Through The BDA-1
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2009, 07:51 pm »
Hi,

I have Rogers cable which puts out a 48K PCM digital signal which I use to listen to FM stations on my BDA-1 and it just goes silent when no digital signal is present.

james

95Dyna

« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2009, 08:12 pm »
Hi,

I have Rogers cable which puts out a 48K PCM digital signal which I use to listen to FM stations on my BDA-1 and it just goes silent when no digital signal is present.

james

Hi James,

How's the sound quality when you have a good signal locked in?

Bill

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2009, 09:18 pm »
I have to say the 48K sounds really really really good.

james

95Dyna

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2009, 04:17 pm »
Hi James,

I'm looking at the DaySequerra M4C HD tuner that comes with either an XLR or RCA digital output and they tell me the sampling rate of the digital output is 44.1.  What would be the best connection to the BDA-1, what would the BDA-1 do with this output and what sound quality should I expect.  My digital knowledge is only average so your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2009, 04:20 pm »
Hi James,

I'm looking at the DaySequerra M4C HD tuner that comes with either an XLR or RCA digital output and they tell me the sampling rate of the digital output is 44.1.  What would be the best connection to the BDA-1, what would the BDA-1 do with this output and what sound quality should I expect.  My digital knowledge is only average so your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill,

Is the XLR out a Digital AES-EBU 110 ohm output?

james

Robert D

« Reply #6 on: 2 Oct 2009, 04:41 pm »
Bill you should add this to your Foot Note.
My digital knowledge is only average so your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Robert

Thought I would add my 2 Cents

95Dyna

« Reply #7 on: 2 Oct 2009, 11:14 pm »
My digital knowledge is only average so your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Robert

You got me, Robert.  :x  I thought about that as soon as I posted it.  Here I am poking fun at those who don't understand binary code whilst claiming to have average knowledge of the digital realm.  I thought nobody is going to draw the connection.....wrong!! : :thumb:

95Dyna

« Reply #8 on: 2 Oct 2009, 11:29 pm »

Regards Robert

95Dyna

« Reply #9 on: 2 Oct 2009, 11:34 pm »
Hi James,

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill,

Is the XLR out a Digital AES-EBU 110 ohm output?

james

James

The website and owners manual are confusing but may make sense to you.  It states the XLR outputs are 110 ohm transformer isolated in S/PDIF format.  This is the first I've heard of S/PDIF via an XLR.

Bill

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 3 Oct 2009, 12:46 am »
Ok so its a standard Digital AES-EBU connector so I would recommend that connection into the BDA-1.  Just make sure you use 110 ohm cables.

The BDA-1 will accept the 44.1K/16 bit in and if you want will upsample it to 176/24 by activating the Upsample button on the BDA-1.

james

95Dyna

« Reply #11 on: 3 Oct 2009, 03:06 am »
Thanks James.  That information clears it up in my mind.  Sounds like digital FM and the BDA-1 would make good companions.