Subwoofer for 5.1 and two-channel with SP2?

geeman

Subwoofer for 5.1 and two-channel with SP2?
« on: 30 Sep 2009, 04:06 am »
I would like to be able to use my new Paradigm subwoofer to augment my two main speakers for 2-channel music and also for 5.1 for movies and multi-channel music.  How do I do this?  The sub is a Paradigm Sub-25 and my two mains are B&W 802D. I'm using a Bryston SP2. There is one xlr in and right and left rca ins on the sub.  Any advice how to properly set this up if it can be done would be greatly appreciated.

brucek

Re: Subwoofer for 5.1 and two-channel with SP2?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2009, 11:55 am »
Any advice how to properly set this up if it can be done would be greatly appreciated.
I use a Paradigm X-30 crossover between the SP2 sub out and the subwoofer. It makes it quite convenient to dial between no crossover and the desired crossover required when in two channel mode.

When in 5.1 mode, the SP2 handles the bass management duties, so the X-30 must be dialed out of the equation as not to interfere with the crossover set in the SP2.

When in 2 channel analog bypass mode (with sub-on feature enabled), the X30 must be dialed to a desired crossover that augments and respects the fact that the mains are operating full range. I use about a 40Hz cross that I've marked on the X30 crossover dial (by measurements sweeps to get a good transition at the crossover region).

This can all be accomplished with a crossover dial on the sub itself, but it would be a bit of a pain to walk around to the rear of your sub every time you wanted to listen to 2 channel. Some subs have a defeat switch would make it a bit more convenient to switch between the two situations.

brucek

geeman

« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2009, 01:23 pm »
 I didn't realize that the Sub could be active in 2-channel bypass if the sub-on feature is enabled.  I'm waiting for my new sub to arrive any day now. Can't wait to hear the difference it makes in my system. I've never had a sub and have been very satisfied without one...hope it will add a whole new dimension to things. Thanks for your help Brucek!

brucek

« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2009, 06:08 pm »
I didn't realize that the Sub could be active in 2-channel bypass if the sub-on feature is enabled.

Yep, except you have to realize that it is a full range analog mix of the left and right channels that will be sent out the sub jack, so it has to be low passed with a crossover. The crossover on the sub will work fine. Once you go back to digital on the SP2, you'll have to dial that sub low pass out of the way...

Also remember that the mains are also full range, and if your mains are ample and they extend quite low, you'll have to have the low pass on the sub set quite low, so that you don't get an unwanted peak where the mains and sub combine. :)

brucek