help on pizza crust

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
help on pizza crust
« on: 29 Sep 2009, 08:17 pm »
Years ago in Corsica and Sardinia I ran across pizzas with a very plain, very thin crust, with simple fresh ingredients that change my mind about the way pizza should be done.  Although I have tried many times since, I have never been able to do it as well.  Who has a recipe for ultra thin crust pizza?

Wayner

Re: help on pizza crust
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2009, 08:33 pm »
My Italian friend, Aldo, has a receipe that I could try to coax out of him. I don't think it has any yeast in it, so it's almost like a soft shell taco. Give me awhile. He also made "white sauce" pizza using olive oil, pushto and bazil with fresh cut tomatos and some goat cheese. That was about it.

Wayner

S Clark

« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2009, 08:51 pm »
Thanks Wayner, that sounds very similar to the pizzas that I'm trying to recreate. 

Ruby Mae

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2009, 08:58 pm »
Aldo's pizza sounds amazing  :drool:

srb

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2009, 09:43 pm »
He also made "white sauce" pizza using olive oil, pushto and bazil with fresh cut tomatos and some goat cheese.

I'm with you on olive oil, basil, tomatoes and goat cheese.  Can't figure out what "pushto" is supposed to be?

Steve

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2009, 09:55 pm »
Proscuitto?

srb

« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2009, 10:00 pm »
Proscuitto did cross my mind.  So did pesto, but then it would be more of a green sauce than a white sauce.  Google wasn't much help, as it gave me the "Pashta" language and "Push To Talk"  ;)

Steve

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2009, 10:03 pm »
Ok, I'm an emgineer and kant spell. Off me.

aa

bummrush

« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2009, 10:04 pm »
  So anybody have a good easy pizza dough to make

K Shep

« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2009, 10:17 pm »
Years ago in Corsica and Sardinia I ran across pizzas with a very plain, very thin crust, with simple fresh ingredients that change my mind about the way pizza should be done.  Although I have tried many times since, I have never been able to do it as well.  Who has a recipe for ultra thin crust pizza?

I have the secrets to good home made thin crust pizza dough.  Some restaurants have a dough rolling machine, which makes it easy.  Think of a pasta roller but larger to accommodate a 12" diameter crust.  So you have to spend alot of time rolling out the dough and be careful to hold back some of the flour that is included in the ingredients, you will use more in the rolling proccess.  Try and find high glutten flour (12% protein or higher).  The other trick is to cook the dough in the oven for 3-4 minutes first then add the toppings, this makes for a crispier crust.

1 pound (or about 3 1/2 cups) high gluten flour
3/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt

In a heavy-duty stand mixer (e.g., KitchenAid) fitted with dough hook, add the water, oil, yeast, salt, and sugar. Mix thoroughly until yeast has fully dissolved. Add flour and mix on low speed until all of the flour and water have mixed and a stiff dough ball forms, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stop mixing as soon as the dough ball forms as this type of dough should not be kneaded.

Place the dough ball into a large bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise for 24 hours in the refrigerator before using.  The 24 hour rise is essential, don't skip this step.

Get your oven as hot as possible and cook on a stone if you can.  Cook for 10-15 minutes.  Enjoy!

Kirk

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #10 on: 29 Sep 2009, 10:59 pm »
The recipe is not as important as the consistency of the dough. Pizza dough is typically stiffer, less water, than bread doughs. Personally, I like a bit more moisture than typical pizza doughs. It is important to mix the dough long enough to develop the gluten. One way to test this is,after mixing, take a piece of dough and stretch it in a circular fashion until you can see through the center. If it breaks before that point, keep kneading. Also, the dough should acquire a sheen and smoothness. K Sheps' recipe is OK, although I would substitute olive oil and honey for the veg oil and sugar. High gluten flour is usually in the 15 to 16% gluten range. If you try the stretch test, even after a long kneading time, and it still breaks, you probably need a higher gluten flour. A 24 hour rest allows the development of complex acids that can only take place over time. It also  allows the gluten to relax which makes it easier to roll out. If, at any point, is seems that the dough will not roll out as thin as you'd like, cover with plastic or a damp cloth and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Also, make sure there's enough flour so that the dough does not stick to your hands, the table, or pin.  A hot oven, 550F or hotter, is what most pizza parlors use. Most home ovens only go to 450. A really thin pan, or better yet, a liner directly on a hearth/stone, insures quick transfer of heat to the crust. The pre bake, or par bake, is a good idea. It shortens the bake time and helps when you can't get a really hot oven. It also hepls keep the crust from being soggy.

K Shep

« Reply #11 on: 29 Sep 2009, 11:17 pm »
...K Sheps' recipe is OK...

konut,

You hurt my feelings.  I have been making that pizza for years.  I have stuck with the original recipe and haven't deviated with the Mediterranean ingredients, honey and olive oil.  And how do you know its ok you have never tasted it?

Kirk

konut

« Reply #12 on: 29 Sep 2009, 11:38 pm »
It was not my intention to hurt your feelings. Call it personal preference. I'm sure your crust is exemplary. Like I said in my first line its the consistency of the dough, more than the recipe, that is the more important consideration in successful crust. A simple recipe of flour, salt, water and yeast will yield a great crust as well.

S Clark

« Reply #13 on: 29 Sep 2009, 11:43 pm »
Will a dough with yeast make the kind of very thin crust that I am looking for? No matter how thin I roll my typical crust, it comes out 1/4" thick or more.  I'm looking for 1/8" approximately. 

K Shep

« Reply #14 on: 30 Sep 2009, 12:00 am »
You definitely want to use yeast.  It adds the air to the crust.  That said I poke the soft dough with a fork to eliminate some of the air bubbles that form while baking. 

konut's point about temprature is important, I have a "Thermador Professional" oven that climbs to 600 degrees.  You may want to invest in a pizza stone too.

Kirk

konut

« Reply #15 on: 30 Sep 2009, 12:20 am »
Will a dough with yeast make the kind of very thin crust that I am looking for? No matter how thin I roll my typical crust, it comes out 1/4" thick or more.  I'm looking for 1/8" approximately.

Give it a try without yeast. It might be what your looking for. Kneading will incorporate some air in the dough, and there are wild yeasts in the air that impart a texture to the finished product. For a crust that thin, its essential that you roll out the dough thinner than 1/8". You have to roll out the dough to a larger round than the finished size, and then relax the dough to the finished size. To roll, or stretch, a dough that thin will take some practice and a deft hand.

S Clark

« Reply #16 on: 30 Sep 2009, 12:25 am »
I have the stones and my old GE oven goes to 540 F, not quite what you guys are recommending but close.  Is the high gluten flour something like King Arthur bread flour or am I looking at ordering something online?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #17 on: 30 Sep 2009, 12:27 am »
I'm looking for 1/8" approximately.
I've got a couple recipes for pizza crust (when I feel like typing it all out, I'll post them) one that's yeast and one that's no yeast. Both are "fairly" thin.
But if you're looking for a super thin crust, try using tortilla's.
They make tortillas in (approx) 6" and 12" sizes.
I'll make three or four of the larger sizes, each with different ingredients, and serve them sliced up on a large cutting board placed in the middle of the kitchen table. That way the family can choose which type and piece they want. Lightly toasting the tortillas before putting on the sauce, will yield crisper crust depending on "toast time".

Bob

K Shep

« Reply #18 on: 30 Sep 2009, 12:54 am »
Quick pizza dough recipe:

1 1/2 cups white spelt flour
1 tablespoon baking powder (non-aluminum)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup filtered water
2 tablespoons olive oil

Directions
1Preheat your oven to 400'F.
2Place the flour, baking powder and the salt into a bowl. Make a well in the center and add the water and oil.
3Combine by gradually incorporating the flour into the olive oil and water. You may want to add a little more water if necessary.
4Transfer the dough to a floured board and knead it at least for 5-7 minutes.
5Let the dough rest in an air tight plastic bag while you prepare the toppings for your pizza.

King Arthur bread flour is considered high glutten, yes.

konut

« Reply #19 on: 30 Sep 2009, 01:58 pm »
. A really thin pan, or better yet, a liner directly on a hearth/stone, insures quick transfer of heat to the crust.  .

I need to amend an earlier post. The liner I referred to would be a teflon
http://www.4taconic.com/products/food/tefbake.html
or silicon
http://www.amazon.com/Matfer-Exopat-8-Inch-Nonstick-Baking/dp/B00005AXJ9
liner, not parchment paper, which can not take the high heat of being directly on a hearth without falling apart. If you do any baking at all its wise to invest in one of those liners as it will save you money in the long run.