Customer feedback 3B SST/BP25DAC
« on: 27 Sep 2009, 12:06 pm »
Got this last night late while I too was listening to some tunes:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: September 27, 2009 2:41 AM
To: James Tanner
Subject: Re: B60 SST W/ DAC

James,

I just want you to know as you look at the time stamp of this email that i can't sleep, I am playing my stereo too loud to sleep:-) the amp has widened the soundstage incredibly, I thought the B60 sounded good, this is incredible, always what I wanted.The dac reproduce such quality that I can almost not differentiate that of my iPod to that of my NAD C542 HDCD player, can't wait to hear the BCD-1. Thank you so much.

I have Linn Espek speakers and I thought the sound was nice with the B60 but this is amazing, I don't hear the speakers, just the soundstage, the speakers are invisible. The 3B has been on my mind for 10 years now, and I finally got it, the BP25 is invisible, it just lets the sound pass though. Now I just have to update my wires , which I am in the middle of doing, and it will even be better. You have made my dream of having a true stereo come true and I will be bragging to everyone that mine is better than there's.

Thanks again, hopefully I will be able to fall asleep soon,

Mark

Sasha

Re: Customer feedback 3B SST/BP25DAC
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2009, 02:48 pm »
While auditioning some speakers I had a chance to compare 3B SST (squared version) and McIntosh 400W or so stereo amp, it was one of latest models but I do not recall the model number. My intention was not to audition amplifiers, the audition of speakers started with McIntosh, not having much experience with McIntosh amplification I could not determine if what I was hearing was the contribution of speakers or other components.
Being more familiar with Bryston, albeit their larger amps, I asked dealer to hook up 3B SST, the only Bryston he had at the time.
The difference was startling, the electronic sound, glare, brightness, all but disappeared. Very interesting experience.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2009, 04:10 pm »
Ah yes, McIntosh...I believe you auditioned the MC402. That amp has gotten praise all over and for the 3B to beat it is quite an accomplishment.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2009, 06:49 pm »
Ah yes, McIntosh...I believe you auditioned the MC402. That amp has gotten praise all over and for the 3B to beat it is quite an accomplishment.

Interesting, McIntosh was the first mono-block amplifier I auditioned.

silver700

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2009, 11:10 pm »
While auditioning some speakers I had a chance to compare 3B SST (squared version) and McIntosh 400W or so stereo amp, it was one of latest models but I do not recall the model number. My intention was not to audition amplifiers, the audition of speakers started with McIntosh, not having much experience with McIntosh amplification I could not determine if what I was hearing was the contribution of speakers or other components.
Being more familiar with Bryston, albeit their larger amps, I asked dealer to hook up 3B SST, the only Bryston he had at the time.
The difference was startling, the electronic sound, glare, brightness, all but disappeared. Very interesting experience.

Hi, new to this forum. So the Bryston was much better than the MC402?  Sorry, if I didnt understand your statement.  Reason I ask is that a local dealer allowed me to audition his 4BSST2 amp. I was going to purchase the mc402 but he said that I should give this amp a try with my B&W 804s.  I won't be able to audition the 402 so I just wanted to know what you heard (difference and sound quality)  Thanks  :green:
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2009, 05:39 am by silver700 »

rmurray

« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2009, 11:42 pm »
Please Silver700 give us feedback on this combo. I have cosidered the union of a 4bsst2 with the b&w 804S's for awhile. I am afraid to go for it "sound unheard". From what I read they should be a synergistic match..........  rmurray. :beer:

silver700

« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2009, 05:42 am »
Please Silver700 give us feedback on this combo. I have cosidered the union of a 4bsst2 with the b&w 804S's for awhile. I am afraid to go for it "sound unheard". From what I read they should be a synergistic match..........  rmurray. :beer:

rmurray, will do.  I just picked up the amp this morning (a demo model) so I will need some time with it before I give an opinion, but as soon as I get a chance, I will post what I heard.  BTW, I currently own the mc205,and even though the mc402 is considered a better amp, it might give me a little something to compare. Post back by Thursday :thumb:

Stu Pitt

« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2009, 03:47 pm »
The Bryston and Mac amps are both excellent amps from excellent companies.  Its really hard to go wrong with either one.  This really is a game with no loser IMO.

The better amp will come down to music presentation preference.  Both are equally musical; they just have a different way of presenting it.

Keep the rest of the system in mind.  Synergy will play a big part.  Both amps will match up to the 804s very well.  I don't know what pre-amp and source you'll be using though.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #8 on: 30 Sep 2009, 06:15 pm »
I auditoned a pair of Macs (MC1200s - if memory serves me correctly, it was a couple of years ago at least). I liked the sound, but you had to get into the power band of the big amplifiers to "wake them up." I cannot for the life of me remember the speakers the Macs were driving. That was the first thing I noticed with the 28Bs, the detail was there at low volume levels. I believe that the JBLs also had a lot to do with this - it would of been very interesting to hear the Macs driving the 1400s. I also like the the styling of McIntosh.

Be well...

Sasha

« Reply #9 on: 1 Oct 2009, 01:43 am »

Hi, new to this forum. So the Bryston was much better than the MC402?  Sorry, if I didnt understand your statement.  Reason I ask is that a local dealer allowed me to audition his 4BSST2 amp. I was going to purchase the mc402 but he said that I should give this amp a try with my B&W 804s.  I won't be able to audition the 402 so I just wanted to know what you heard (difference and sound quality)  Thanks  :green:

Yes, I found 3B SST to be better sounding. Speakers were PMC PB1i, they were driven first by Mac (I am not saying it was MC402, as I said I do not recall model #). With Mac there was too much emphasis on treble, brightly lit, and it was kind of grainy and electronic sounding, some may say exiting but certainly not something I could listen to for extended period of time. For the record I do not seek mellow sound but ability to hear as precisely as possible what is on the recording, so do not look at my perception of what I described as the perspective of someone looking for ?forgiveness?.
Switching to Bryston cured this and allowed me to hear more of speaker character and more of the recording, what I was interested in.
As far as B&W goes I used to own them but I left their line-up some time ago, could not live with characteristic upper midrange distortions they refer to as ?controlled breakup?.

vegasdave

« Reply #10 on: 1 Oct 2009, 09:23 pm »
Cool, Sasha. I have not done a side by side comparison between Bryston and McIntosh...but, I do like the McIntosh. However, Bryston is the ultimate choice to and for me!

vegasdave

« Reply #11 on: 1 Oct 2009, 09:24 pm »
The Bryston and Mac amps are both excellent amps from excellent companies.  Its really hard to go wrong with either one.  This really is a game with no loser IMO.

The better amp will come down to music presentation preference.  Both are equally musical; they just have a different way of presenting it.

Keep the rest of the system in mind.  Synergy will play a big part.  Both amps will match up to the 804s very well.  I don't know what pre-amp and source you'll be using though.

I concur. You can't go wrong with either company, imo.