Maximizing Stereo Time

Mag

Maximizing Stereo Time
« on: 25 Sep 2009, 12:01 am »
With all the critical listening on the recliner, not much work gets done around the place, and the yard was looking like a forest. What should have been a half hour job to clear, took away 2 days of quality stereo time. I therefore set out to make the yard maintenance free. :idea:

After spending a considerable amount of money, I'm happy to say I'm finally finished, except to hall some junk to the dump. Next summer I'm not going to have a weed problem. Once I get home, kick off my shoes, no more worries. :dance:

I also got winter taken care of, having purchased a snowblower. With this STA machine I can have the snow cleared in a jiffy. Saving precious time for quality stereo time on the recliner. But it's going to be another cold winter with the house not properly insulated yet.

I've maximized quality stereo, HDTV time to almost 50 hours a week. More time than I spend working!
Now all I need is a maid! :drool:

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Re: Maximizing Stereo Time
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2009, 12:18 am »
I find that I do not watch as much television as I used too. I average about 3 hours per weekday listening to music in my room and perhaps as much as six hours on a Saturday and Sunday (this varies of course depending on my weekends).

Out of the three hours I previously mentioned, approximately one hour of this is "quality" listening time as I do nothing else while I enjoy my music.

Be well...

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2009, 01:42 am »
Living in the country pretty much guarantees a Saturday morning of keeping back the grass during the summer, and during the winter, the furnace & fireplace need to be kept happy.

Still plenty of stereo time, though...

Mag

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2009, 02:00 am »
I find that I do not watch as much television as I used too. I average about 3 hours per weekday listening to music in my room and perhaps as much as six hours on a Saturday and Sunday (this varies of course depending on my weekends).

Out of the three hours I previously mentioned, approximately one hour of this is "quality" listening time as I do nothing else while I enjoy my music.

Be well...

I went without a TV for over a month, sat. cut me off. I tried pulling in free TV over the net, that didn't work so well, though I can still watch programs from all over the world. The selection is limited with poor signal quality.

Finally got HDTV hooked up this week with cable company, with an HDTV digital recorder provided, I can stockpile up to 25 hours of HD shows to watch in between stereo time. Unfortunately closed captioning doesn't work in HD mode, so it's hard to follow a show without the sound. With sports like football, hockey & baseball I watch without the sound while listening to music, multi-tasking.

This works great on NFL Sunday, you can record games while you watch another. Providing for all day football with equal stereo time! :P

Mag

« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2009, 02:08 am »
Living in the country pretty much guarantees a Saturday morning of keeping back the grass during the summer, and during the winter, the furnace & fireplace need to be kept happy.

That's where a goat would come in handy. You can do that in the country, have a goat. Use your morning more productively like sleeping in. The value of sleep is under rated. I have to be fully rested before critical listening, then I'm good to go for hours. :rock:

danman

« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2009, 05:51 pm »
I live in northern Quebec and snow is a way of life for me. My snowblower is 11 years old and starting to give me some headaches and instead of spending a couple of grand on a new one and cutting back in my buying of new Bryston stuff, I decided to get a contract with a snow removal company. It only costs 350$ for the year and I will have more time to listen to music on the weekends and at night!! I will also be able to soon upgrade my B20 power supply to the MPS-2 because of the savings!!! We have to be creative in this hobby!

Mag

« Reply #6 on: 25 Sep 2009, 07:02 pm »
I got my snowblower in the spring sale for $650.00. I just seen the exact same model only under a different name listed for $1500.00. Now if I can get off my butt I'm thinking I can make money with this machine. I talked to one lady that paid someone $1000.00 for the winter to clear snow. That's just one, so if I can find a few more customers/suckers I will have enough coin to pay for the machine and more stereo gear. I have all the Bryston gear I need, but I can start upgrading speakers.

Anyway this idea depends on whether the boss puts another driver on the vehicle. As I can use the van with a lift, to load/unload the snowblower. Without having the van, the plan is no go.

danman

« Reply #7 on: 25 Sep 2009, 07:09 pm »
Crusty little guy............... aa

1000$ is an awful lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #8 on: 25 Sep 2009, 10:40 pm »
Hello danman. Hope you're feeling better. Check my wine list .Perhaps you don't indulge but I have found that antioxident red wine to be complimentery to my music listening experience (and generally good health)  :dance:

Laundrew

« Reply #9 on: 25 Sep 2009, 11:16 pm »

Be well...

I went without a TV for over a month, sat. cut me off. I tried pulling in free TV over the net, that didn't work so well, though I can still watch programs from all over the world. The selection is limited with poor signal quality.

Finally got HDTV hooked up this week with cable company, with an HDTV digital recorder provided, I can stockpile up to 25 hours of HD shows to watch in between stereo time. Unfortunately closed captioning doesn't work in HD mode, so it's hard to follow a show without the sound. With sports like football, hockey & baseball I watch without the sound while listening to music, multi-tasking.

This works great on NFL Sunday, you can record games while you watch another. Providing for all day football with equal stereo time! :P

Actually, I am toying around with the idea of terminating my Bell Expressview service. I enjoy Discovery, history, TLC and Space. TLC has really gone downhill with "see how many kids I have squeezed out" sagas :deadhorse:

I find that you do not get value for your money anymore and I understand that they want to raise subscription rates next month :nono:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #10 on: 25 Sep 2009, 11:40 pm »
My system is going most of the time. Even when I'm not home!

danman

« Reply #11 on: 26 Sep 2009, 01:30 am »
Hello danman. Hope you're feeling better. Check my wine list .Perhaps you don't indulge but I have found that antioxident red wine to be complimentery to my music listening experience (and generally good health)  :dance:

Thanks redbook, but I opted for rum tonight and it seems to be working!

Mag

« Reply #12 on: 26 Sep 2009, 02:55 am »

Be well...

Actually, I am toying around with the idea of terminating my Bell Expressview service. I enjoy Discovery, history, TLC and Space. TLC has really gone downhill with "see how many kids I have squeezed out" sagas :deadhorse:

I find that you do not get value for your money anymore and I understand that they want to raise subscription rates next month :nono:

Don't get me started on Bell and a pending court case, I'll bore you. :duel: :bomb:

TLC used to be the best channel, that was a few years back. Someone got the idea to pollute that channel with all sorts of crap. I never watch that channel anymore.
The National Geographic HD channel I find I watch the most. Discovery Civilization is good too, but not available in HD. I find I'm watching A&E HD quite a bit since on cable they include some History channel shows.

Its cheaper for me to have cable TV since I get the internet service through them. They bundle the TV and internet together. My internet will drop to $30 from $55 then add on HD TV, which is comparable price with other providers.

danman

« Reply #13 on: 26 Sep 2009, 03:35 am »
I also like National Geographic as well but am I the only one to notice how much they love Dog Whisperer?

danman

« Reply #14 on: 26 Sep 2009, 03:37 am »
And yes, BELL sucks! I used to have them as well then I got digital cable! Terrible customer service!

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #15 on: 26 Sep 2009, 04:03 am »

That's where a goat would come in handy. You can do that in the country, have a goat. Use your morning more productively like sleeping in. The value of sleep is under rated. I have to be fully rested before critical listening, then I'm good to go for hours. :rock:

Yeah, there's some people down the road that have a bunch of goats. On the other hand, I don't have to worry about the tractor going after me with horns when it's pissed off.

We had a neighbor that had an ass (donkey)...it really fit his personality :)

Mag

« Reply #16 on: 26 Sep 2009, 04:40 am »
And yes, BELL sucks! I used to have them as well then I got digital cable! Terrible customer service!

Yeah they didn't seemed to want to resolve the problem. I think I spoke to 5 different people, mostly bill collectors. Put someone on the phone who has some authority. Let's see, I was a subscriber for at least 8 years at approx. $50 a month for a total of approx. $5000. All I wanted was for them to reimburse my $100 for HD service package, which they had no record I purchased, which I provided, and sign me up, since I was already a subscriber. :dunno:

Mad Mr H

« Reply #17 on: 26 Sep 2009, 10:55 am »
My snowblower is 11 years old and starting to give me some headaches.

Soon it will bring home girlfriends, drink, check you are awake at 4am and trash your car  :lol:

Laundrew

« Reply #18 on: 26 Sep 2009, 03:39 pm »

Yeah they didn't seemed to want to resolve the problem. I think I spoke to 5 different people, mostly bill collectors. Put someone on the phone who has some authority. Let's see, I was a subscriber for at least 8 years at approx. $50 a month for a total of approx. $5000. All I wanted was for them to reimburse my $100 for HD service package, which they had no record I purchased, which I provided, and sign me up, since I was already a subscriber. :dunno:

I had a problem where I had to call Bell, the call center turned out to be somewhere in India - I had a hard time understanding the call person. What really got me upset was that these companies send out Canadian jobs overseas and that is all right for them. But I am forced to purchase Canadian programming from them! I have heard that Krell is going to start manufacturing in China (I really hope that this is not true), So if this is true - what's next for Krell, an isle at the local Walmart?

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #19 on: 26 Sep 2009, 06:15 pm »
Some of the Krell stuff is already being made in China.