Amp bridging

tenantman

• Industry Participant
  • Togetherness beats all odds
    • Caprice Audio
Amp bridging
« on: 23 Sep 2009, 08:14 am »

Vinnie,

You once mentioned this option since my speaker is easy to bi-wire.  Can this work with two 30.2? Benefits?

Luis

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Amp bridging
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2009, 05:11 pm »
Hi Luis,

It is not really "bridging" - it is "bi-amping" that you would be doing (if I understand your question correctly).

So you can run one Sig 30.2 just for the bass/mid drivers of your speakers, and another Sig 30.2 for the tweeters -- this is "horizontal bi-amping."

or you can use one Sig 30.2 to power each speaker (one channel for the bass/mid driver, and one channel for the tweeter).  This is "veritical bi-amping."

I believe vertical bi-amping would be best, as each Sig 30.2 sees only one channel (but will need a splitter to feed the same signal to both the L and R inputs) so there is reduced crosstalk and a lot of the advantages of using monoblocks (one amp per channel).  Better sound-staging, better separation, dedicated battery power per channel (you'll probably noticed even tighter, punchier bass)...

Would you be using two Sig 30.2 power amps, or are you using the integrated version?  It is important to make sure the gain of each amp is the same!

Feel free to contact me if you have more questions about it.

Best regards,

Vinnie

tenantman

• Industry Participant
    • Caprice Audio
« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2009, 01:25 am »

Vinnie,

I am using 30.2 Integrated. I was not sure how to arrange this with two.

Thanks

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2009, 08:51 pm »

Vinnie,

I am using 30.2 Integrated. I was not sure how to arrange this with two.

Thanks

Hi Luis,

To vertical bi-amp, you would want me to convert your Sig 30.2 integrated into a power amp and then obtain another Sig 30.2 power amp.  But then you would need a preamp (or dac with volume controlled outputs) to feed the 30.2 power amps to control the volume.

If you keep your Sig 30.2 Integrated, you can use the RCA outputs to feed a Sig 30.2 power amp and do a horizontal bi-amp set-up (and the volume control on the integrated would control the volume of both amps at the same time) - but I'm not so sure horizontally bi-amping will give you nearly as much improvement with the 30.2s as going with the vertical bi-amping.  As I mention above:

I believe vertical bi-amping would be best, as each Sig 30.2 sees only one channel (but will need a splitter to feed the same signal to both the L and R inputs) so there is reduced crosstalk and a lot of the advantages of using monoblocks (one amp per channel).  Better sound-staging, better separation, dedicated battery power per channel (you'll probably noticed even tighter, punchier bass)...

8)

I hope this information is helpful.  Let me know if you have any other questions about this.

Best regards,

Vinnie

tenantman

• Industry Participant
    • Caprice Audio
« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2009, 09:13 pm »

Vinnie,

The vertical Bi-amping is my preferred choice. I am not sure why I am thinking about this since I do not really need more power with 95db efficient speakers but curiosity is getting the better of me. I like the balance of the 30.2 , its sound is robust in a densely kind of way and it offsets the digital. I have a bias towards "density" and its hard to get from solid state. I am looking for more of it in this configuration.

Thanks much. As always I trust your advice.

Luis 

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2009, 01:46 pm »
Hi Luis,

The vertical Bi-amping is my preferred choice. I am not sure why I am thinking about this since I do not really need more power with 95db efficient speakers

Just like the 70.2 monoblocks, it is not just about needing more power.  The vertical bi-amping approach simply sounds better - no matter if you need more power or not.  When you use a dedicated Sig 30.2 per channel, you eliminate the "crosstalk" of the L and R channels.  Each amplifier and its battery supply is also then dedicated to that one channel, and with vertical biamping, one channel of the stereo 30.2 is powering the bass/mid drivers, while the other powering the tweeters.  So each channel also has "less work to do" and delivers the best it can offer, and each 30.2 and its battery power supply is dedicate to just one speaker. 

The result is better sound from top to bottom - it makes no difference if you need more power or not - it just sounds better all around  8)

As always, feel free to contact me if I can help.

Best regards,

Vinnie