Sandbox help

daddydoom

Sandbox help
« on: 21 Sep 2009, 03:25 pm »
I was thinking of building a sandbox for my TT and really can't find much info on how it should be constructed.

Although my stand is resonably rigid. I want to take that extra step toward isolation.

The only design questions I have are. How deep should the sand be and would lead shot be better.

If I use lead shot, what size shot would you use.

I want to keep the box as shallow as I can. I am also going to build some isolation feet for some of my other equipment and might incorporate the lead and or sand in that design.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Hope to meet some of you guy's at the RMAF

Matt

BobM

Re: Sandbox help
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2009, 03:31 pm »
Here's my implementation of sand boxes. I just made them part of the whole shelf. Each one uses a 50lb bag of play-sand. Just 4 MDF sides and a bottom. I glued and screwed them together, then sealed the seams on the inside with silicon. Then I cut a 1" butcher block to float on the sand. I also got some 3/8" window sealer foam tape, available at Home Dopey or Lowes, and used that on the edge around the butcher block so the sand wasn't open to the elements (so to speak).

leitmo

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2009, 04:28 pm »
great idea bob!

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2009, 05:11 pm »
Line the box with a plastic bag.  At the old radio station we had even older 16 inch turntables with sand filled bases. They leaked sand.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2009, 06:26 pm »
I've seen a fellow build a sandbox for a TT using tennis balls inside a sand filled box which  allows the upper portion of the box to 'float' on top of the balls. The upper "lid" of the box touched nothing other than the balls. Imagine a shoe box where the lid fit down over the top of the lower box section, but didn't contact the side of the bottom half.

If you're intrigued, I'll see if I can find the info.

Bob

guest48077

« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2009, 08:11 pm »
Here is an example of My DIY Sandbox. I am currently usinf it with the raquet balls on the bottom with 60 pounds worth of Sand "floating" on top

BobM

« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2009, 08:31 pm »
I have a very similar setup for my turntable. The "sandwich" from the top down is

turntable
maple butcher block
squash balls
maple butcher block floatnig on the sand in the sandbox

A little hard to see in this picture, but you can just see the edge of one or two of the balls in front. Very effective isolation, combining mass with the Ginko Cloud isolation technique.

martyt

« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2009, 03:16 pm »
Go to www.galibierdesign.com and you will find construction details for a DIY sandbox for turntables.

Berndt

« Reply #8 on: 6 Oct 2009, 01:51 pm »
Go to www.galibierdesign.com and you will find construction details for a DIY sandbox for turntables.

I used the makris/shroeder design rack and box for my set-up.

BobM

« Reply #9 on: 6 Oct 2009, 02:21 pm »
nice