N2X ?'s

elves1111

N2X ?'s
« on: 21 Sep 2009, 02:44 pm »
looking 4 a good studio monitor that can handle many simultaneous analog synth filters and intricate syncopated percussion without skipping a beat. So my main strong point would have to be the middle frequencies.  i think the N2X might be up for the job, but not sure.  How would it pair up with a maelstrom-x 18" sealed sub? Would it sound good, if powered by a crown CE2000 amp?   Also,  it says i can use parts express .5 cubic ft cabinets, does that many any of the .5's?  How hard is it to construct the crossover, with the info that is sent with the kit? Sorry to ask, but i am new to speaker building. If would be better to get someone to do it, is skiing ninja the only recommended one, and what about does it cost for them to assemble it?     And last but not least....  does the $110 crossover upgrade improve the sound noticably enough to spend another $100?   
Oh yeah,  this will be in a small room for now, that measures approx.  16' x 12'.

thanks for all help...

emac

Re: N2X ?'s
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2009, 02:57 pm »
From the description you're giving, I'm guessing you're referring to producing electronic music.  If so, then I can wholeheartedly recommend the N2X's for the job.  I've heard the 2X's and I own the O-3's (the omnidirectional variant).  They both do an excellent job for electronic music, which is mostly what I listen to (especially drum & bass).  The clarity of the sound is startling at first, and I think the 2X's would help a good deal w/ your production. 

I can't help you w/ the sub or the cabinets, but I can comment on the other parts.  For assembling the crossover, if you haven't done it before or don't have any skills w/ a soldering iron, it's probably better for the Skiing Ninja to do it.  Not too expensive, at under $100 if I remember right.  Also, in regards to the crossover upgrade, it's well worth it.  Especially the Sonicap Platinums as bypass caps.  In my mind, the Platinums add quite a bit to the sound quality.

Hope this helps.

cujobob

Re: N2X ?'s
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2009, 04:03 pm »
The rectangular PE cabinets are the closest correct internal volume.

The N2X being a sealed design is the best for integration with a sub.

The mills/sonicap upgrade is well worth it, but No-Rez may be the most important upgrade to get.

Sonicap Platinums are nice, but expensive...they will give you a bit more detail in the highs, but it's about $120 for just four caps.  Would depend on your budget. 

For midrange performance, I don't know you will find any better a speaker anywhere near this price.