'Curb Your Enthusiasm' 7th Season 'Jumps the Shark'

srayle

'Curb Your Enthusiasm' 7th Season 'Jumps the Shark'
« on: 21 Sep 2009, 02:31 am »
I loved this show, it really stinks now. Don't even want to see what else is coming. I'll satisfy myself with previous seasons reruns.

rydenfan

Re: 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' 7th Season 'Jumps the Shark'
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2009, 02:48 pm »
I totally disagree. I have seen some snippets of what is planned for this season and am quite excited for it. What other show on tv is almost completely improvisation?

srayle

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2009, 03:43 pm »

"Curb' works best when it stays in the realm of the day-to-day ordinary: Larry going to the doctor's office, fighting with people in bathrooms, stores, restaurants, weird neighbors, trying to join a conservative country club, etc. Where it 'Jumps the Shark' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark) this season is having the Seinfeld reunion (who wants to see those old characters at this point---George Costanza??), Funkhauser having a stupid, crazy sister that Jeff immediately starts having sex with--weird---, the writing this season seems loose. We'll see, but the elegant symmetry and interweaving of some seasons (like the Producers season) where each show has several plot lines that elegantly weave together by the end of the show, while a larger plot line over the season is developed to an incredible finale...seems absent. It's kind of like the finale of Seinfeld, that Larry David returned to write, where it took them out of their usual environs and they went on a road trip? and ended up in jail?

sts9fan

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2009, 04:07 pm »
I think the reunion idea is fantastic.  I thought the first episonde was also quite funny. 

srayle

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2009, 04:41 pm »
OK, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm a huge 'Curb' fan, and found myself cringing during this season's first episode...

srayle

« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2009, 02:32 am »
I dunno. Just watched episode 2 of the current season. The whole feel is weird, the plots wildly improbable, and there's too much snarky shouting the whole time. I feel vaguely uncomfortable watching it, and it was my favorite show of all time until this season. It's not that funny this season.

maxwalrath

« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2009, 03:18 am »
I missed last season, so had no idea why Larry was living where he was living...but I thought tonight's episode was hysterical.

srayle

Tonight's show was not. funny. at all.
It has a weird, alternate universe feel, no artistry to the script, the ad-libbing feels flat, all Larry does is get into nasty arguments (not the usual ironic ones) with people. The Seinfeld story line feels forced, and the Seinfeld crew looks old. Even Jeff Green (Garlin) seems moribund. Creeps me out. And, I love the earlier seasons. Not this one. You guys still find it "hysterical"??