Time to incorporate treatments and looking for help

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Time to incorporate treatments and looking for help
« on: 20 Sep 2009, 08:36 pm »
Hey all,

I have decided to go DIY to build panels with the guidance from Jon Risch
http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/a1.htm

Does anyone suggest a different approach they prefer or one that is better documented?

I attached a photograph of the room layout.  I have 3-way speakers similar to Salk's ht3 that I was going to start 2 feet from the front and side walls.  Better ideas?

From there should I create an equilateral triangle with the speakers and listening position?

I would like to build 4" panels for first reflection points and top corners of the room.  Do people suggest tube traps or standing panels to cover the corners from floor to ceiling?  I am not keen on building a tube trap 7.5 feet tall.

I intend to go all out with a panel or two for the ceiling as well as diffusers on the fireplace.  Any suggestions would be awesome you guys.

Thank you

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Time to incorporate treatments and looking for help
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2009, 08:58 pm »
The first thing you want to do is to get your seating in a position which isn't in a bad position in terms of room length.  Start out in the range of 33-38% from the front wall to your ears.  Once you find that position, play with speaker positioning and distances from side and front wall.  Try not to have those dimensions the same in most cases.

There will be boundary response changes in the bass based on distance from baffle center to side walls and baffle front to wall behind the speakers.  Shoot for the best balance of response and imaging.

The general treatment plan sounds OK.  Don't forget the rear wall way in the back as your length modes will be VERY VERY deep. 

If the speakers end up closer than about 2.5 ft from center to side wall, you'll want to consider a panel directly beside each speaker to tame boundary issues. 

Depending on ceiling height you may want to consider diffusion at the ceiling reflection points.  There may be other places where diffusion would be appropriate but it's hard to say depending on how live the room is, type of ceiling, type of flooring, etc.

For the corners, either build chunks ofr 6" or more thickness panels straddling the corners. 

Bryan

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2009, 09:09 pm »
Thanks a bunch Bryan.  I never considered treating the far wall.  Great advice!

Any suggestions out there for competent DIY diffusers?

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2009, 09:20 pm »
There are several options depending on what you want.

There are lots of sites on the web with calculators on doing well based QRD diffusers.  You can also build simple poly-cylindrical diffusers very easily.  Polys can work lower for a given size, are easier to build, and have no upper limit like a QRD.  That said, polys don't do as good a job in scattering in the time domain and they scatter evenly rather than randomly.

Bryan

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2009, 09:28 pm »
If your speakers are similar to the HT3, I think that they need to be more than 2' (the back of the speaker) out from the front wall or you will have boom.  There isn't too much that you can do about the distance from the side walls because the room is narrow.  I don't know if long wall placement would work too well.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2009, 10:51 pm »
yes, per what others have said, i would slide sofa & speakers another 4'-6' further back.

doug s.