14B tick/pop

KeithA

14B tick/pop
« on: 20 Sep 2009, 03:50 pm »
I've noticed lately that there's a tick or pop when I power down the 14BSST. I gues it's some sort of charge from the caps, etc.

Anyone else get any of these when powering down?

Keith

b5pt9

Re: 14B tick/pop
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2009, 04:29 pm »
The powerdown circuit can malfunction so you may want to watch this.  I had to send in my 4BST because it started squealing pretty good on powerdown and I was worried any DC component might cook my drivers.  Warranty or course.
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2009, 05:42 pm by b5pt9 »

KeithA

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2009, 05:29 pm »
James

Does this sound normal for the 14B or should I contact Mike Pickett about maybe sending it in. If it goes in, I may as well get the Swedish upgrade as well  :lol:

I guess she needs to be in top shape before I trade her in on a set of monoblocks :oops: Just kidding....maybe  :wink:

Keith

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2009, 06:10 pm »
James

Does this sound normal for the 14B or should I contact Mike Pickett about maybe sending it in. If it goes in, I may as well get the Swedish upgrade as well  :lol:

I guess she needs to be in top shape before I trade her in on a set of monoblocks :oops: Just kidding....maybe  :wink:

Keith

Hi Keith,

It just sounds like the turn-off relay so I do not think it is much of an issue but its worth checking with Mike.

james

danman

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2009, 07:38 pm »
My 4BSST2 always lets out a little pop when shutting off so I guess this is normal!!?

It is not loud at all so it can't hurt anything.

95Dyna

« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2009, 01:28 pm »
James

Keith

Keith,

If you trade it in for a pair of 7's you'll have 2 ticks when you shut them down.  I've heard other amps make worse sounds when shutting down.

KeithA

« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2009, 02:07 pm »
James

Keith

Keith,

If you trade it in for a pair of 7's you'll have 2 ticks when you shut them down.  I've heard other amps make worse sounds when shutting down.

If I'm going to go monoblocks from the 14B...it won't be the 7's  :wink:

Keith

KeithA

« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2009, 02:08 pm »

95Dyna

« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2009, 03:36 pm »
James

Keith

Keith,

Keith

My point was that the tick/pop you're hearing is normal.  I wasn't speculating on what mono's you might acquire.  I assume the wink means 28's.   :thumb:

KeithA

« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2009, 03:48 pm »
James

Keith

Keith,

Keith

My point was that the tick/pop you're hearing is normal.  I wasn't speculating on what mono's you might acquire.  I assume the wink means 28's.   :thumb:

Yeah, just having a little fun :)

The 28s would be it and I'm toying with trying to get a listen to a pair.....but it would be hard to do living on the far east coast of Canada. So, an upgrade is not a sure thing....I'd never do it woithout getting to try them.

Keith

danman

« Reply #10 on: 21 Sep 2009, 04:47 pm »
Believe me...................you don't have to listen to them................BUY THEM!

drummermitchell

« Reply #11 on: 21 Sep 2009, 04:56 pm »
 :o :D.

95Dyna

« Reply #12 on: 21 Sep 2009, 06:37 pm »
James

Keith

Keith,

Keith

The 28s would be it and I'm toying with trying to get a listen to a pair.....but it would be hard to do living on the far east coast of Canada. So, an upgrade is not a sure thing....I'd never do it woithout getting to try them.

Keith

You don't have to live in Newfoundland to have that problem.  The day my 7B's arrived was the first time I had ever seen a 7B let alone heard one and I live within a short distance of Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington D. C.  I couldn't find a dealer within 4 hours of my home that had anything bigger than the 4B available for demo.  Just for kicks I bought a BP26 sight unseen/heard as well.

KeithA

« Reply #13 on: 21 Sep 2009, 06:38 pm »
Believe me...................you don't have to listen to them................BUY THEM!

Not a chance  :wink: If I can't get them in my room for at least a couple days to try....it's a 'no go' :D

Getting them in there to try will take some creativity....and likely can't be done.

Keith

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #14 on: 21 Sep 2009, 07:26 pm »
James

Keith

Keith,

Keith

Hello

The only noise that my 28Bs make on power-up is a slight click and "buzz." Most likely the soft start circuit? On power off - nothing but the normal click.

Be well...

KeithA

« Reply #15 on: 21 Sep 2009, 07:38 pm »
James

Keith

Keith,

Keith

Hello

The only noise that my 28Bs make on power-up is a slight click and "buzz." Most likely the soft start circuit? On power off - nothing but the normal click.

Be well...

Exactly...I'm pretty sure that's the way mine was as well. Lately, Im getting a pop (electrical discharge) in the speakers.

I'll run it by Mike @ Bryston

Keith

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #16 on: 21 Sep 2009, 07:42 pm »
James

Keith

Keith,

Keith

Keith

Keith...Get in the car and start driving :wave: :icon_arrow: :rock: :icon_arrow: :thumb:

KeithA

« Reply #17 on: 25 Sep 2009, 06:13 pm »
To update....

I've been talking to Mike Pickett via email & phone (as well as doing a little research myself on the net) and the popping may be caused by a small amount of DC voltage on the outputs.

There is a DC Offset adjustment that can be done on the amps, if required. I tested all three (3) outputs on my 6B and they tested +/- 0.000 volts...perfect.

The 14B SST tested +0.005 & 0.011 volts on outputs. So, we'll do a little adjustment to bring them down to zero (which is where they are targeted to be) and hopefully that takes care of the popping  8)

Keith

KeithA

« Reply #18 on: 26 Sep 2009, 11:12 am »
To update....

I've been talking to Mike Pickett via email & phone (as well as doing a little research myself on the net) and the popping may be caused by a small amount of DC voltage on the outputs.

There is a DC Offset adjustment that can be done on the amps, if required. I tested all three (3) outputs on my 6B and they tested +/- 0.000 volts...perfect.

The 14B SST tested +0.005 & 0.011 volts on outputs. So, we'll do a little adjustment to bring them down to zero (which is where they are targeted to be) and hopefully that takes care of the popping  8)

Keith

Quick adjustment to DC Offset (+/- 0.000s across the board) but the amp is still popping like a banshee. Funny, even my wife noticed yesterday that the speakers were popping when the stereo was being turned off.

So, I'll send it off to Bryston next week for a look-see.

Keith

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #19 on: 26 Sep 2009, 06:23 pm »
James

Keith

Keith,

Keith

Hello

Be well...

That's exactly what my 4B does. I take this to be normal operation?