maurod

edited
« on: 3 Jan 2004, 01:24 pm »
edited
« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2012, 08:50 am by maurod »

WerTicus

d76af -d52af comparison
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2004, 06:53 pm »
well it might be help full if you give us a little more info about what your trying to find out exactly... for example who makes the d76af and d52af and what are they?  im guessing they are tweeters which makes me wonder what a 'warm' tweeter sounds like! :)

also i dont know what a mdt33 is

though i do recognise those scan speak serial numbers.

also welcome to the audio circle i hope someone here can give you an opinion!

aln

D76 vs d52af
« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2004, 05:21 pm »
The dynaudio spec sheets calls for the d52 to be crossed over at 1000 hz and above whereas the D76 can be used at 500.  I use four D76 with a first order crossover and roll them off at 3200 to an Esotar T330 tweeter.  Obviously, the D76 will produce more of the lower end than the D52.  Of course the design of the crossover and crossover points will have an impact.  Generally, the designs I have seen using the D52 have used a smaller 7 or 8 inch dynaudio driver to cover the lower midrange.

_scotty_

d76af -d52af comparison
« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2004, 08:20 pm »
maurod,even though I stopped using Dynaudio drivers more than a decade ago for my DIY projects,I have used the D28af,D52af,D54af,D76afand 30W54. I specifically
chose to use the Dynaudio drivers because they were accurate and showed no tendency to be sweet or colored in any way. I would not characterize either the  D76af or the D52af as sweet. Someone else
may have a different observation about their reproduction accuracy,
but this has been my experience with them. Scotty

aln

D76 or D52
« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2004, 09:32 pm »
Try not to restrict the operating range of the dynaudio drivers-they are very wide bandwidth.  They are also good using 1st order crossovers which makes them simpler to design with.  What are you trying to do with your design?

_scotty_

d76af -d52af comparison
« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2004, 02:56 am »
The size of the perceived sound stage is not a function of whether or not a speaker system has cone or dome midrange. It is also not related to any differences radiation patterns that may exist between a dome or a cone driver. A speaker system is the sum of it's parts and how well they work together. If I was building a speaker system I would try to avoid a 4way
design. There are more things to go wrong and I would also chose a flatter response midrange than the 13m8640-00. It helps to start with the flattest response drivers you can find before you do anything else.
      As you can see aln is using 4 D76af drivers to increase efficiency and power handling as well as lowering THD and intermodulation distortion which can be a problem with a system using a 6db/oct xover. He has also
increased the radiating area that is available to launch the longer wavelengths that the D76af is responsable for when xovered at 500Hz.
The Dynaudio tweeter and midranges you are considering were designed almost 20 years ago. You might look at newer technology and designs.
There are a few newer drivers that have the wide bandwidth and flat response that makes building a DIY speaker a little easier than it used to be.  Good luck with your DIY speaker building,Scotty