Tube CD Players: RAM & ModWright

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« on: 1 Jan 2004, 05:19 pm »
Obviously, being a tube guy, I have listened to a lot of tube players and many of them reside in my personal home system.

RAM CD25 (personal system)
 Jolida
 Audio Note CDT-ONE w/ONE DAC
 Audio Note CD2.1x

I have yet to hear an AH! or Heart but from talking with others, including reviewers. I would also throw these on your short list to audition. The Heart and Jolida received great reviews by Nels Ferre on TNT and the AH! by Scott Faller also on TNT. They are all good pieces and one would have to audition to see which one fits the bill for personal taste (and budget) with all players, other than the Audio Notes being in the $1k price point. I am thinking of picking up an AH! as to be better able to do some comparisons.

Personally, every component must have tubes to reside in my personal system from the source, CD player and tuner, right down to the amplification. I prefer vinyl but not always convienent so tube sources fit the bill nicely here bringing you [closer] to the vinyl sound. I know this is only personal preferance and YMMV.

Long live tubes and vinyl!

modwright

• Industry Contributor
    • ModWright Instruments
ModWright Tube CDP Clarification...
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2004, 06:23 pm »
I just wanted to clarify that the RAM CD-25 is NOT the only CDP that we put tubes in.  Following are the units that we offer tube mods for:

Sony SCD-1
Sony SCD-777ES
Sony XA-777ES
Sony 9000ES
Sony 999ES
RAM CD-25
Pioneer DV-45, 47, 47Ai.

NEW!!!!  
Denon 2900 - available in mid January!

We are also Beta testing our OWN Tube Linestage right now - e-mail if interested in learning more!

Dan

jackman

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2004, 06:32 pm »
Dan,
Please check your PM on this site.  I sent you a message. Thanks!

Jack

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2004, 06:42 pm »
Dan,

One question I have.  Is it still $2600 to put tubes into the XA777?  That kind of puzzled me why it would cost more than the lesser unit to add a tube stage.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2004, 08:30 pm »
Curious?? What happened to the other post that lead up to the one that starts this thread off?? My post was in response to another's post asking questions and was not started by me.
  Did we loose some post??

rosconey

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2004, 09:11 pm »
wow this is funny -looks like the thread was highjacked by a moderator-lol
in its original text and location i thought it was non comercial :o
my  tube cd thread is still there-in 2 channel :mrgreen:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2004, 09:27 pm »
Just caught that. Maybe they took my post as a "commercial ad?". If so, it was not meant to be that way. In fact I mention that ANY of the players mentioned throughout that thread were good choices and was mentioning the tube players I was familiar with and personally have used. I also mentioned I was interested in picking up some of the others as they sound to be very intrigueing. I might also add that I am in no way associated with or carry the AH! or Heart players that I mention being reviewed by TNT.

It is hard being a dealer on some of these forums. There are many times when personal preferences get in the way. It would be nice to sneak in as a normal guy sometimes. No problem. I will just lay back and follow both threads.

Mad DOg

Re: ModWright Tube CDP Clarification...
« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2004, 08:50 am »
Quote from: modwright
I just wanted to clarify that the RAM CD-25 is NOT the only CDP that we put tubes in.  Following are the units that we offer tube mods for:

Sony SCD-1
Sony SCD-777ES
Sony XA-777ES
Sony 9000ES
Sony 999ES
RAM CD-25
Pioneer DV-45, 47, 47Ai.

NEW!!!!  
Denon 2900 - available in mid January!

We are also Beta testing our OWN Tube Linestage right now - e-mail if interested in learning more!

Dan

hello bill,

while i was not the moderator who split the original thread, i believe this post and not your recommendations that crossed the line. this post had NOTHING to do with recommendations but was, unintentional or not, a blatant commercial post...knowing Dan, i'm sure it was inadvertant however nonetheless it was advertising which is against the 2 ch forum rules...

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2004, 04:47 pm »
Thanks Mad Dog,

That makes sense but starting this new thread with my post is what confused me..
  It's all good now. Everything is where it is supposed to be.