F1 Renault Update

Philistine

F1 Renault Update
« on: 16 Sep 2009, 01:15 pm »
Briatore and Symonds resign:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8258987.stm

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, I hope Renault survive as an F1 team.

ltr317

Re: F1 Renault Update
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2009, 01:43 pm »
Stunning news, amid other stunning news this year in F1.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2009, 11:39 pm by ltr317 »

mfsoa

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2009, 02:56 pm »
 :o

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2009, 03:09 pm »
Flav looked pale and scared at Monza. It's a shame for the sport, but you reap what you sow. Piquet Sr plays hard ball. After all the effort is given to race F1 competitively I would find it demeaning to then cheat. It is so much more satisfying to win for real.  Oh well... I hope Alonso is not implicated in the scandal.

Philistine

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2009, 03:30 pm »
I listened to the Eddie Jordan interview on the BBC website, he finds the whole scenario difficult to comprehend.

For me this goes beyond a 'wrap on the knuckles' by the FIA and should extend to criminal proceedings in Singapore for the potential loss of life issues with other drivers, marshals and spectators.

mfsoa

« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2009, 04:59 pm »
This sounds far worse than what McLaren did w/ that Ferrari data, and they got what, a half billion dollar fine and exclusion from the championship?

I guess Flav and Symonds' departure was done to lessen what will have to be a huge sanction against Renault. And I guess by not fighting it the penalty will be less also - The FIA just hate being told they are wrong about something, don't they?

I found the info from Steve Matchett interesting during the last race - that there were mumblings about this ever since it happened - that it was totally bizzare for Alonso to start on a light tank from mid-pack, a strategy that would only play out if there was a safety car right after he pitted.

Occam

« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2009, 11:14 pm »
Phillistine,

Your inbox is full and I can't reply to your PMs.

Sorry for the OT,
Paul

ltr317

« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2009, 12:47 am »
I read the full leaked radio transmission and didn't see anything really damaging.  There must be some other evidence to implicate Renault.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2009, 01:15 am »
 :o  Hmm. Very interesting. Thanks for the link Phillistine. And the season gets curiouser and curiouser.  :scratch:

Philistine

« Reply #9 on: 18 Sep 2009, 01:41 am »
Phillistine,

Your inbox is full and I can't reply to your PMs.

Sorry for the OT,
Paul

Fixed

richidoo

« Reply #10 on: 18 Sep 2009, 10:20 am »
I read the full leaked radio transmission and didn't see anything really damaging.  There must be some other evidence to implicate Renault.

Probably telemetry of his gas pedal sensor. Oops!    :duh:  It seems difficult to see how Alonso could escape without knowing what was going on, unless it was not planned from the beginning and they shielded him with "plausible deniability."   He is also wearing a rather thick bright red forcefield right now. Especially important now that Hamilton has shown he is capable of losing. If Schumaker had started driving again, I think Alonso would be more of a target now too, but he is poised to take over as series superstar in the Ferrari next year. But we shall see, he is pretty smart. He blew the whistle on McLaren, no reason to to think he would not do the same at Renault for worse offense if he knew about it. 

richidoo

« Reply #11 on: 21 Sep 2009, 11:31 pm »
Today's FIA Ruling:
  • Flav banned from FIA events indefinitely
  • Symonds banned from FIA events for 5 years
  • Renault F1 disqualified from championship
  • Disqualification is suspended until 2011
  • Disqualification begins in 2011 only if they are caught doing it again
  • Piquet immune from sanction
  • Golden Goose Alonso gets off scott-free  :thumb:
  • 700 Renault F1 empoyees keep their jobs and no cash fine