Should I Go To RMAF?

cloudbaseracer

Should I Go To RMAF?
« on: 16 Sep 2009, 03:51 am »
I just got a wild hair and thought maybe I should get a ticket and fly to see what the RMAF is all about.  I am looking for some new gear and so this may be a good opportunity to check out some new stuff.

So, do you guys think it is a viable opportunity to hear gear or is it so room specific that it I will just see a lot of eye candy but not really "learn" anything?  I have never been to anything like this and it seems very interesting.  Does one have the chance to play their own music selections or are you mainly subject to the music of the exhibitors?  I don't believe I would be all that familiar with their selections and therefore it would not be the best reference.

Well, it would be a great adventure nonetheless!!

James

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Should I Go To RMAF?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2009, 04:06 am »
Checking out the gear is very cool.  Meeting other audio geeks is even cooler.  I say come :)

ltr317

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2009, 04:26 am »
By all means go.  You will have a great time.  Unlike the CES, this is a consumer based show, so the exhibitors are more friendly.  CES, on the other hand is stressful and tiring. 

You can play your cds, but try to limit it to two or three selections in each room so as not to create long waiting times for others.  Generally, the sound is good to very good in most rooms.  This is because the hotel allow the exhibitors to do decent sound treatment, while the Las Vegas hotels allow very little for CES and T.H.E. Show, and even then they have to pay huge amounts. 

And each evening, come hang out with other ACers at the hotel bar and restaurant.  Last year was the first time I went, so this year will be the second and this will probably continue for the foreseeable future.

Paul

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2009, 05:17 am »
Should I Go To RMAF?

YES...... :beer:

Sonny

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2009, 05:19 am »
wish i could go...for years, I couldn't do to work, and this year, i can't due to no work.. so no $$$ sucks huh????

hope you guys enjoy it all!

Tuan

lonewolfny42

« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2009, 05:31 am »
wish i could go...for years, I couldn't do to work, and this year, i can't due to no work.. so no $$$ sucks huh????

Yes it does Tuan....but remember....you only live once. :wink:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2009, 09:51 am »
You can't reasonable expect to do a proper "purchase" (serious) decision type of audition under show conditions.  But you can do "rule outs" (stuff that gets crossed off your list to buy).  The very best part is meeting and learning from the vendors/ACers (oh and the gear is cool too).

I've been in the "maybe next year" mode for 2 - 3 years, but if its like other audiofests most of the "best" rooms will be too busy to listen to much of your own stuff (but do bring it, if nothing else to let others hear some good tunes).  Those busy rooms are full of chatter, people in the way, doors opening and closing constantly, and the "sweet spot" is usually taken.

I'm a "speaker guy" so can rule out speakers on the spot (after 30+ years of audio my opinions are pretty much set before hearing a given pair).  At the last audiofest I attended, the only extended range speakers I thought sounded good in the rather small rooms (in midbass and bass) were open baffles and transmission lines.  And forget about any real auditioning electronics or source components, just plan on getting some hands on time with the pieces.

All that said, if I was in the market I'd absolutely go to RMAF.

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2009, 11:07 am »
Hi, could we please put audio show discussion in the appropriate place which is in fact not the Starting Block, "A circle for newcomers to the hobby," but  the existing circle Audio Shows and Events - "Discuss shows and other audio events. CES, T.H.E. Show, RMAF, etc." Thanks ;)

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=153.0

vinyl_lady

« Reply #8 on: 16 Sep 2009, 03:51 pm »
I just got a wild hair and thought maybe I should get a ticket and fly to see what the RMAF is all about.  I am looking for some new gear and so this may be a good opportunity to check out some new stuff.

So, do you guys think it is a viable opportunity to hear gear or is it so room specific that it I will just see a lot of eye candy but not really "learn" anything?  I have never been to anything like this and it seems very interesting.  Does one have the chance to play their own music selections or are you mainly subject to the music of the exhibitors?  I don't believe I would be all that familiar with their selections and therefore it would not be the best reference.

Well, it would be a great adventure nonetheless!!

James

James,

The answer to your question is an emphatic and absolute YES! And by all means, bring the music you want to hear.  :thumb: 2009 will be my 5th RMAF. In 2005, I was speaker shopping. I recorded some CDs of very familiar music I could use to audition different speakers. All of the exhibitors are very friendly and usually asked if I had selections I would like to play. I did some more speaker shopping in 2006 and purchased The Daedalus Audio DA-1 demos at the 2006 show.

You will have a chance to listen to lots of great equipment from very expensive to reasonable, from brands you read and hear about all the time to designers and manufacturers you may not be familiar with. You may not be able to make a final decision, but you will be able to narrow your choices. And, just as important, you will meet and get to know other ACers and audio enthusiasts who will be more than willing to share their experiences and opinions about various pieces of equipment. :beer:

I hope to see you there. You will be glad you came!

Sonny

« Reply #9 on: 16 Sep 2009, 04:14 pm »

very true Chris, but with my wedding next Friday, much of my money is going into that! 

But perhaps next year i'll see the NYRavers there!!

T

Pez

« Reply #10 on: 16 Sep 2009, 04:17 pm »
Like asking a Muslim "should I go on pilgrimage to Mecca?"

If you don't you're a heathen and I will slay you. :icon_lol:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #11 on: 16 Sep 2009, 04:30 pm »
By all means go if you can.  I had a great time last year.

Unfortunately, I have been roped this year into going to a cousin in law's wedding.  :evil:

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #12 on: 16 Sep 2009, 11:42 pm »
Guys,

I am in!  Booked my flight and room.

What was I thinking asking you guys if I should attend? :duh: I knew the answer before I asked!!  :icon_lol:

Now I just have to decide which CD's to bring :thumb:

Thanks for helping me spend money!!

James

Pez

« Reply #13 on: 16 Sep 2009, 11:54 pm »
Anytime! Hope to see you there! Send me a PM with your info, I'll buy you a beer.  :beer:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #14 on: 17 Sep 2009, 03:31 am »

very true Chris, but with my wedding next Friday, much of my money is going into that! 

But perhaps next year i'll see the NYRavers there!!

T

Congrats on your wedding Tuan..... :beer:  :thumb:

So...maybe...a honeymoon in Denver around the 2nd. of Oct.... :wink: :jester:

cloudbaseracer / James....

Good...don't forget to pack your music...at this show they will play it....at some other shows...not always.
RMAF is one of the best one's to attend....plus many AC members will be there...a fun time for sure !!!
See you there..... :beer:

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #15 on: 17 Sep 2009, 04:13 am »
Anytime! Hope to see you there! Send me a PM with your info, I'll buy you a beer.  :beer:

Will do - looking forward to sharing a beer with several of you guys.

Lonewolfny42,

I will look for you as well.

Funny thing is that all of us have "handles" on here and so I really don't know anyone's name!  Oh well, that will make it extra fun I guess.

Sampling some specific albums now to decipher the best ones to bring.  I feel like I need to have a couple of key songs.

James

lonewolfny42

« Reply #16 on: 17 Sep 2009, 04:22 am »

Will do - looking forward to sharing a beer with several of you guys.

Lonewolfny42,

I will look for you as well.

Funny thing is that all of us have "handles" on here and so I really don't know anyone's name!  Oh well, that will make it extra fun I guess.

Sampling some specific albums now to decipher the best ones to bring.  I feel like I need to have a couple of key songs.

James

My name is Chris.... :thumb:

On Friday...around 6PM ,many members gather in the bar area at the hotel....look for me....seems everyone knows what I look like anyway... :scratch: :lol:

I can help introduce you to many members that I've met over the years....a great bunch of guys .... :wink:

iGrant

« Reply #17 on: 17 Sep 2009, 05:12 am »
Guys,

What was I thinking asking you guys if I should attend? :duh: I knew the answer before I asked!!  :icon_lol:

Now I just have to decide which CD's to bring :thumb:

Thanks for helping me spend money!!

James

Good choice, please leave female jazz vocalists such as Patricia Barber, Dianna Krall etc at home and bring something that you would love to hear. The above mentioned can make a sony gettoblaster sound good and I am tearing my hair out by mid day.

Suggest you take some time to make a short list of gear you know you can't see or hear where you live and spend some quality time in those rooms, but do see it all if you can. Have fun.

Cheers,
Ian

vinyl_lady

« Reply #18 on: 17 Sep 2009, 05:29 am »

I can help introduce you to many members that I've met over the years....a great bunch of guys .... :wink:

and gals  :) (although we are a distinct minority at the show) :wink:

Chris & James, I'll buy you a beer on Friday :beer:

Laura

lonewolfny42

« Reply #19 on: 17 Sep 2009, 05:42 am »

and gals  :) (although we are a distinct minority at the show) :wink:

Chris & James, I'll buy you a beer on Friday :beer:

Laura

Well....I was going to type gals...but...it sounds kind of "old fashioned".... :lol:
So....a great bunch of men and women.... :wink:

Thanks....See you at the show! :bounce: