Offramp3 async

KingStyles

Offramp3 async
« on: 15 Sep 2009, 11:31 pm »
I am wondering if the offramp3 is async? If not, are there any plans on making an async version.

Newk Yuler

Re: Offramp3 async
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2009, 04:13 am »
I am wondering if the offramp3 is async?

Not USB async.  The Empirical Audio equipment corrects jitter using very high quality reclocking circuits.  I'd call the Off Ramp and Pace Car reference grade reclocking equipment.  To my knowledge there's nothing realistically comparable to them on the market.  The next closest similar part might be the Bel Canto USB Link but it's definitely not in the same class as the Off Ramp.

- Rand

audioengr

Re: Offramp3 async
« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2009, 04:03 am »
I am wondering if the offramp3 is async? If not, are there any plans on making an async version.

The Off-Ramp interface, even though it is adaptive, is still the best USB interface on the market IME - thanks Rand for the vote of confidence.  It is all about implementation.  It also works well with older computers and operating systems, as well as older USB ports.  Asynch requires fast USB2.0 ports and newer OS.

I have plans to design a 24/192 interface using async next year, but I dont expect the SQ to be significantly better than the Off-Ramp 3. 

Since it will be async, it will require 2 clocks, not one like the Off-Ramp 3, so the cost and pricing will increase accordingly.  The main reason to do it is support for 176 and 192.  It will probably require a custom driver, yet another variable that can be problematic.  When an new OS comes out from Microsoft or Apple, it may be months before the driver is updated and supports them.

I have a 44.1/96kHz async solution now, which is the Fireface400 or Tascam US-144 combined with the Pace-Car 2.  The Tascam requires USB 2.0 ports and newer OS.  The Tascam does not currently work with Snow Leopard for instance, but the USB driver/firmware is evidently being updated.

Steve N.