Piega Mods

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Piega Mods
« on: 15 Sep 2009, 04:34 pm »
C8 mod is finished. Put our ribbon and planar expertise to work for you!  :)
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2009, 07:54 pm by Rick Craig »

RichardS

Re: Piega Mods
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2009, 05:53 pm »
Heard thes at Carl's last Sunday. We had a stock pair of C-8 ltd's to compare. Rotated in and out in the same position with same accompanying gear.

I thought Rick's new external X/O improved an already good speaker considerably. The first thing I noticed was improved dynamics and sense of ease. Then the increased bass extension and detail. The mids opened up and everything felt less held back, less restrained. There was less hardness in the upper mids/ highs when the piano hit hard. I'll be talking to Rick at some point about the upgrade. Well done!

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #2 on: 3 Oct 2009, 10:36 pm »
based on richard's post, am i correct in assuming it is the c8 ltd's that you modded, not the c8's?  (the c8's don't have the coax ribbon mid-treble driver.)  did you work on the x-over between the mid-treble, or the woofer-mid, or both?  could you do something similar to the p5 mkll ltd?  what is your opinion about going active (deqx) between mid & woofer?  price of what you did?   (i couldn't go active between mid & tweet, cuz i use subs, and the deqx is only 3-way.)  :wink:

thanks,

doug s.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 3 Oct 2009, 11:09 pm »
based on richard's post, am i correct in assuming it is the c8 ltd's that you modded, not the c8's?  (the c8's don't have the coax ribbon mid-treble driver.)  did you work on the x-over between the mid-treble, or the woofer-mid, or both?  could you do something similar to the p5 mkll ltd?  what is your opinion about going active (deqx) between mid & woofer?  price of what you did?   (i couldn't go active between mid & tweet, cuz i use subs, and the deqx is only 3-way.)  :wink:

thanks,

doug s.

This was the coax mid-tweeter so it would be the LTD version. The P5 could be modified as well and probably similar in overall cost. The amount of work you want done and choice of parts will affect the price, typically $750-$1,500/pr. plus shipping. The complete crossover will be replaced with outboard crossovers. If you use something like the DEQX it's best to implement a 3-way with no passive components.